Player Discussion Jimmy Vesey

Cuckoo4Kakko

Jul 1, 2019
Real good value for a top 6 forward. GG must be thrilled.

All jokes aside, really great value as long as we use him correctly.

smoneil

Jul 14, 2004
Arkansas
Was irked when I saw the news at first (seemed dumb to add salary before the three RFAs were taken care of, with the cap crunch coming this summer), but at that price, it's a no-brainer. He's actually cheaper than a rookie would be on the 4th line.

gabevh3

Oct 13, 2005
Yeah, was just thinking that. Much more than a coincidence that he "suggested" the Rangers being pro-active about re-signing him as he's busted his ass making the team with that PTO. Yeah, happy for him and he deserves it. Some day, he will be that 20-25 goal scoring player we wanted when way back when. lol.
Maybe if he plays with Panarin he can get to that.

Reactions: Larrybiv

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
That's a great deal for what he brings. I'm still shocked he couldn't have gotten more than he did here this summer and even more surprised he didn't think he could get more on the open market next summer. I know the cap crunch really affects the guys at the bottom of the player pool, but still.

Mike in Houston

Apr 20, 2015
Houston, TX
That's a great deal for what he brings. I'm still shocked he couldn't have gotten more than he did here this summer and even more surprised he didn't think he could get more on the open market next summer. I know the cap crunch really affects the guys at the bottom of the player pool, but still.

He got $50K more annually. And I really don't think he wanted to test the market. He said to Larry that he never wanted to leave NY to begin with so I think this is really great for both Jimmy and the Rangers.

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010
Would be great to eventually get him onto the 4th line where he would be best, but this at least locks someone in that can fill forward role 9-12 if needed for 800k.

Worst case, he is on waivers at some point and that 800k is off the books from another team or by going to the minors.

Good deal.

Matt Rentfree

Jan 13, 2012
Nashville, TN.
Just saw a notification pop up on my phone and thought "Oh crap. How much are we paying him?", then I came here and was VERY pleasantly surprised. :)

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
I dont know if this was an ongoing negotiation but his game has seemed flat for a few games

Reactions: mas0764

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
he took it cuz this is where her wanted to be,
won't be surprised if he got some trade protection for signing low-ish
not everybody lets $$ drive every decision
[ besides, this from CapFriendly, as of today:"He has signed 6 contracts worth a total value of $16,150,000.")
.. and when he hangs 'em up, he'll can always go right into a good paying job, hired by a Harvard pal or alum ...

Last edited:

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
Shocked considering he probably could have gotten more than that in the summer. But I genuinely think he loves playing here. And his best years have been wearing Ranger blue, so hard to think otherwise.

800k for a guy that’s played elite defense at times is a steal

Reactions: NYROrtsFan

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
For everyone that was mad about Motte, Drury found a PTO player that's done the same job, if not better, for half the price.

Great on Vesey to work his ass off to earn the extension. He's been a great bottom-6 piece this season

Kodiak

Feb 27, 2002
Ranger fan in Philly

He's playing well enough, but not doing so well that he would build any demand from other teams. He's playing at around the same level he did for NJ. The open market for Vesey probably means taking another PTO somewhere and trying to play his way on to the team. Two years of security for a depth forward has got to feel good.

Last edited:

Clark Kellogg

NYU Film Student
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2013
Vermont, USA

This is very disheartening. A position has just been blocked for forwards prospects to advance. I would imagine that those developing in Hartford or those players who have been drafted but are not yet in the system sees this as a sign of the organization’s path forward. Does this also spill in to College, Junior and European free agents?
Which is it Chris Drury, Trade Buchnevich so the youth have adequate developmental time or sign a 30 year old journeyman and block and spot for an additional two years.
Pathetic

Last edited:

UnSandvich

Sep 7, 2017
When I saw 2 yr contract, I was expecting 1.2, maybe 1.3 per. While Gallant is playing him higher in the lineup than he should be, at 800k this is a no brainer

Reactions: TheDirtyH

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad