Confirmed with Link: Joe Thornton announces retirement from NHL

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
Technically was last season it happened, but until this posting it was not official. The last player from the 1990's is officially retired. Oldest draft picks left in the NHL are 2003.

Reactions: Sandisfan

ChompChomp

Can't wait for Sharks hockey to return someday
Jan 8, 2007
El Paso, TX
Serious question: why isn't there a one day contract so Thornton can officially retire as a San Jose Shark?

It's VERY odd to not have it. Even more odd than when Thornton went to Toronto and didn't take out a full page ad in the Merc thanking Sharks fans (not even a video message to Sharks fans).

I know people will say he doesn't "need" to, but it's sports tradition since his last NHL contract was with a different team. I don't know why Thornton would be different than anyone else in pro sports. Especially with an inevitable number retirement that will come soon. He should retire, officially or in an honorary one day contract wise, as a San Jose Shark.

Edit: or is the consensus that he will get a one day contract to retire as a San Jose Shark?

Last edited:

Cas

Conversational Black Hole
Sponsor
Jun 23, 2020
Serious question: why isn't there a one day contract so Thornton can officially retire as a San Jose Shark?

It's VERY odd to not have it. Even more odd than when Thornton went to Toronto and didn't take out a full page ad in the Merc thanking Sharks fans (not even a video message to Sharks fans).

I know people will say he doesn't "need" to, but it's sports tradition since his last NHL contract was with a different team. I don't know why Thornton would be different than anyone else in pro sports. Especially with an inevitable number retirement that will come soon. He should retire, officially or in an honorary one day contract wise, as a San Jose Shark.

Edit: or is the consensus that he will get a one day contract to retire as a San Jose Shark?
Maybe he just thinks that's a gimmick? Because it is and not one I'm fond of in sports, to be honest,

Skeksis25

Feb 17, 2023
North Brunswick, NJ

Never really understood the point of the whole "Retire as a <insert team name" thing. It just feels like a dumb gimmick. Does anyone really remember or think about that? He is always going to be associated with the Sharks. His number will go up next to 12 hopefully very soon. When you look up his career stats 10 years from now, his last game and numbers will be with another team regardless of whether he "retires as a Shark" or not. So, what does it really accomplish?

Jargon

Apr 12, 2011
Venice, California
My dad has been watching the Sharks since the beginning and I’d pay attention like 10% of the time despite playing it (well, roller) most of my youth. I started watching a bit more the year before they got him and happened to be watching the game with my dad when they announced that the trade had happened. And it was suddenly so exciting after that that I really became a fan from that moment on.

I’m excited for this next wave of Sharks, I really am, but those years with Joe were really a joy to watch. Also: I can’t believe I got to see him play live. A real treat.

Happy retirement, Joe!

timorous me

Gristled Veteran
Apr 14, 2010
My dad has been watching the Sharks since the beginning and I’d pay attention like 10% of the time despite playing it (well, roller) most of my youth. I started watching a bit more the year before they got him and happened to be watching the game with my dad when they announced that the trade had happened. And it was suddenly so exciting after that that I really became a fan from that moment on.

I’m excited for this next wave of Sharks, I really am, but those years with Joe were really a joy to watch. Also: I can’t believe I got to see him play live. A real treat.

Happy retirement, Joe!
While I'm really hopeful that we're going to get a homegrown core drafted and developed that we can all root for for many years, and that's a super-exciting prospect, there's something almost old-fashioned at this point about the way in which Thornton was practically stolen for pennies on the dollar in his prime and BOOM, out of nowhere, we as Sharks fans went from having a pretty nice little team to having a f***ing wizard at the helm, a genuine stud who was also a goddamn awesome personality in a sport that tends to discourage that sort of thing.

It was a wild ride and I'm really thrilled that we see Jumbo popping up in the Manager's Suite alongside Grier because it would only feel right to have him as part of this organization in some way going forward since he's already had such an outsize impact on it through half of its existence.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario

Thornton is more old school then he is this new generation, where those types of things just did not happen. And to be honest it is not that big of a thing in the NHL to sign a 1 day contract to retire with a different team.

Blackbear

Jan 3, 2007
Jagr is technically still active. :laugh:
Hmm, what about Pronger? And how about Kovalchiuck? Seems to me they had contracts that paid them for life, and that of their children and grandchildren. And rostered them as long as they weren’t in the KHL.

• Haha

landshark

They'll paint the donkey teal if you pay.
Sponsor
Mar 15, 2003
outer richmond dist

Love you lots, Jumbo! Even if you got Sturm shipped out... Joe freakin' Thornton, man!!!!

Who is Moe Borton?

1698594742574.png

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad