Confirmed with Link: Joel Quenneville has resigned, asst. coach Andrew Brunette named interim head coach (READ POST #2!)

Big Bjugs

Amat Victoria Curam
Jan 9, 2013
Canada Eh
Imo, it should remain Brunette until at least the end of the season unless the team looks like absolute horse crap under him.

Team is playing well and the last thing we need is a new head coach to come in and try to implement his systems and various other things. I’d rather let Brunette run it which I’m guessing would be similar to or exactly what Q would do.

This is the best option. The coaching staff we have already have experience under Q, no sense in messing that chemistry up.

WaitingForThatCab

#1 Nick Cousins Fan Account
Mar 11, 2017
I don't think you put statement like that and then hire a new guy in 2 days.

I think this is their way of hedging their bets. If the team continues to play well under Brunette, you let him go with it. If the team deflates, you start searching for a coach. It's the smart play. You'll know quickly whether or not Brunette is going to be a disaster.

behemolari

Dec 1, 2011
Tortorella with Bob with better team may or not may be a good idea, high risk low reward at this point.. it will either turn out disaster or great fit. I wouldn't gamble, and this is being Tortorella fan several years.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Bruno was beloved in MN as a player and personality. He was the PP coach for years in MN under Yeo, when the team was consistently mediocre or worse on the PP.

IMO, Boudreau is a better option. The man can coach talent, is not toxic, and I believe that his much talked about playoff failures are really more about circumstances and bad luck. He had core players like Parise, Suter, and Spurgeon all sustain serious injuries either in the playoffs, or just before.

Sweetpotato

Jan 10, 2014
Edmonton
As much as I admire Torts, I think for any team that is capable offensively (Florida in this case) Bruce Boudreau is the best candidate for you guys. Torts due to his history with certain players on the cats and his coaching style wouldn't make the most of the roster.

zeroG

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2006
Somerville, MA
1) I don't believe the players that the location had nothing to do with it. There's zero upside to saying anything negative about an NHL city, and would you wanna live in f***ing Ohio? Bob left for South Florida. Panarin left for New York. Jones left for Chicago. Duchene left for Nashville. DuBois went back to Canada. The location had something to do with it.

2) Players knew well in-advance that they didn't want to stay in Columbus. Jones wanted to leave a year before UFA despite Tortorella being gone. Duchene never had interest in staying in Columbus after being rented there. Bobrovsky said in an interview that he knew he was done and not signing an extension long before UFA. Everybody knew that Panarin wasn't happy about being traded to Columbus and was leaving as soon as he could. If Tortorella was the common denominator in all of this, he would have been fired earlier.

3) From what I've read in media and from lumbus fans on HF, Kekalainen was a bigger problem than Tortorella. He would grind down players and just leave them with a bad taste in their mouth throughout negotiations.

4) Bob said in an interview that Tortorella is a great "psychologist and motivator."

i've said this before but my wife was recruited for a job in columbus a few years ago. we spent a few days there, looked at real estate. i took my son to his first NHL game (aside - we walked in a few minutes late, just by chance right next to the cannon and wouldn't you know it, right then, the jackets scored and before i could even react, BOOM! he's just getting past the PTSD...).

anyway, it's a nice little city. it's got a small but decent restaurant and bar scene. not incredibly diverse. OSU has a shit-ton of money (L brands is headquartered there and funnels money to the school). there seems to be a reasonably strong hockey culture but it's a football city. the arena's small but full most nights, not because they content but because they compete.

i don't think it's a terrible place to live for a 6 months out of the year but it's a small market and i can't imaging (i may be wrong) that they'll ever be a cap team. so, the GM's gotta grind the players down to an extent b/c he needs a manageable salary structure.

as an analogy, look at the patriots - belichick notably grinds down his players but the team still attracts top FAs because it spends out the wazoo to win championships. and it's not because the (mostly) black players that come here want to be in boston!

i could be wrong but it would seem that, unless and until some of that wexner cash starts going into the blue jackets, they'll always be wearing hand-me-downs, nickeling and diming players and needing a bunch of stars to align in order to make a deep run or win a cup.

that's probably why players don't want to go or stay there.

Gizmo Tkachuk

Registered Loser
Sep 23, 2009
Florida
[mod]

Back on the Panthers end.

Brunette understands his role, so that's good

Last edited by a moderator:

Panteras

“I’ll remember this hell of a journey”- Barkov
Sep 14, 2009
Panther’s favorite strip club
Honestly I’m fine with Brunnette for the rest of the year. He knows the system and learned from Q’s tactics etc so keeping someone who has been behind the bench and has Q’s blue print to running the team is the most sensible thing as far as continuity. Which is what we want since we’re obviously doing some good stuff.
If we find ourselves in a bad situation with pretty bad stretch of losses and looks like we might be in danger of even missing the playoffs, then I’m all for switching things up with a new coach. But for now, Brunnette deserves the chance.

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
Despite the thread title having an indication to READ POST #2, the discussion still went offtopic.

I have now cleaned up the thread and re-opened this. Stay on-topic.

PSLguy

#TimeToHunt
Jan 14, 2013
Port St. Lucie, FL
I'm anxious to see how the team plays tonight against a Bruins team looking to avenge their loss on Wednesday.

Brunette will have his hands full this game and it will be interesting to see how he reacts to in-game situations.

If it works in the Panthers favor he may have bought himself more time behind the bench. If not, Zito has a tough decision to make about a replacement.

KW

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 21, 2006
I'm anxious to see how the team plays tonight against a Bruins team looking to avenge their loss on Wednesday.

Brunette will have his hands full this game and it will be interesting to see how he reacts to in-game situations.

If it works in the Panthers favor he may have bought himself more time behind the bench. If not, Zito has a tough decision to make about a replacement.
I agree. Testing continues.

Panteras

“I’ll remember this hell of a journey”- Barkov
Sep 14, 2009
Panther’s favorite strip club

This was going to be a tough tough game regardless if nothing had happened and Q was behind the bench. I don’t see how a loss tonight necessarily means Zito has to start thinking about replacing Brunnette at all. In fact he said yesterday he’s going to not rush into anything and be methodical and do his due diligence before acting on any coaching change if at all.

Last edited:

Egblad

Patiently Waiting
May 20, 2006
Florida
Honestly, we're going to lose at some point. I almost just want to get it out of the way at this point.

GermanPanther

Foundation Defense
Dec 21, 2015
Munich, Germany
About the Coach Discussion, go with the Bench as it is now. Why not Assistant Coach know the System for so long so they could continue to play the same Hockey as current.
A new Coach and a new System bring 0%, change a system during season is Horror.
So go on with all the Coaches who are current on the Bench, maybe some extra Assistant coach or not, who care. But no new Coach and System.

I wouldnt change a running System when its work, every Coach who comes in wanna change something he like to play, but doesnt work with the Team. Makes in the sentence of sport no sense.

JP Mick

Sep 24, 2008
Homestead, FL
Anyone else a little disappointed Q hasn’t released a statement yet? Nothing. Is he just going to go quietly into the night and not say anything? I expected more from him honestly.

Ratsreign

Mar 12, 2018
Zito has to first use the option of letting Brunette run the team. Brunette has a very easy job at hand, at least until the playoffs begin, because he only has to continue to use the format that Q used and they'll be successful.
Boudreau and the other veteran coaches are very poor options. I wouldn't be surprised if the next long-term coach is someone unfamiliar at the NHL level.
None of the “big” names being kicked around interest me as far as becoming the Panthers new coach.

Clint

Jul 14, 2003
Totally irrelevant and not fair at all to Brunette but I can't keep it in any longer:

Does anyone else think that Brunette just looks... dumb?

I know he isn't actually dumb. I'm saying he has a dumb looking face. The entire time I was watching him the last two games his face reminds me of a former subordinate who, for the love of god, could not understand anything no matter how many times it was explained to him. Just a vacant kind of stare that couldn't penetrate anything that required elevated levels of thought. Like "things are happening in front of me but I'm not sure what so I'm not going to react but I'll keep this blank look on my face so no one knows how dumb I am that will definitely fool them" kind of dumb.

I'm sorry I just had to get that off my chest.

zeroG

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2006
Somerville, MA
Totally irrelevant and not fair at all to Brunette but I can't keep it in any longer:

Does anyone else think that Brunette just looks... dumb?

I know he isn't actually dumb. I'm saying he has a dumb looking face. The entire time I was watching him the last two games his face reminds me of a former subordinate who, for the love of god, could not understand anything no matter how many times it was explained to him. Just a vacant kind of stare that couldn't penetrate anything that required elevated levels of thought. Like "things are happening in front of me but I'm not sure what so I'm not going to react but I'll keep this blank look on my face so no one knows how dumb I am that will definitely fool them" kind of dumb.

I'm sorry I just had to get that off my chest.

no.

barkov went out of his way to say bruno was the smartest hockey person he's ever met. that he points things out that very few people see.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad