Player Discussion: Johnny "Hockey" Gaudreau

Marioesque

Oct 7, 2021
I mean he's hovering around a PPG with a super young team that's devastated with injuries, without a true 1C. So I'd say he's doing well. It took him a few games but he seems to be in the zone lately.

Yeah last 3 games he has looked better on his own than he did at the start of the season. Now he's less prone to losing the puck or fumbling a pass. Just needs Laine back to be more effective on the score chart.

Reactions: CBJx614

I3LI3

Jan 9, 2021
Columbus, OH
We are 1/3 of the way through the season. Johnny Hockey is on pace for 94 points which would be seven more points than Panarin’s single season CBJ record. He is also on pace to break Panarin’s record for assists.

what’s even more impressive is he’s doing all of this with an extreme amount of less talented players than what Panarin was surrounded by.

baffling that Panarin has 1 goal in the last 19 games.

oh and johnny sure loves playing at NWA,

25 points in …. 19 games.

Reactions: CBJx614 and LJ7

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
what’s even more impressive is he’s doing all of this with an extreme amount of less talented players than what Panarin was surrounded by.

baffling that Panarin has 1 goal in the last 19 games.

oh and johnny sure loves playing at NWA,

25 points in …. 19 games.
I don't think most casual Jackets fans understand just how good he is and the sad truth is most won't until we make it to the playoffs and make some crazy memorable moments

Just to highlight a few

Reactions: Halberdier

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
It is only one regular season game, but what is the level of concern with his play? He was lethargic in the preseason. He was lethargic at the end of last season (which we all chalked up to the team being awful), and he was lethargic last night.

Reactions: I3LI3

Napoli

Oct 4, 2023
It is only one regular season game, but what is the level of concern with his play? He was lethargic in the preseason. He was lethargic at the end of last season (which we all chalked up to the team being awful), and he was lethargic last night.
He hasn't been great but he is at his best when teams are hemmed in their own zone. Whatever style of offense they're trying to push, it's not effective to sustained consistent offensive opportunities. There's a lot of good players that would struggle to look good in this style of play. It's one and done shots from the outside, there's more he could do but isn't the real problem at this point imo.

Reactions: MAHJ71

Monk

Feb 5, 2008
He hasn't been great but he is at his best when teams are hemmed in their own zone. Whatever style of offense they're trying to push, it's not effective to sustained consistent offensive opportunities. There's a lot of good players that would struggle to look good in this style of play. It's one and done shots from the outside, there's more he could do but isn't the real problem at this point imo.

Yeah - it felt like his line never had the puck. Laine losing the majority of his faceoffs certainly didn't help.

Reactions: MAHJ71

cbjthrowaway

Jul 4, 2020
not really sure why people are giving johnny so much flack for last night's game.

he had a pass to laine that would've been a tap-in but it skipped over his stick by an inch, then he had another pass for a redirect late that also narrowly missed.

struggled a bit in transition but so did the whole team. he wasn't the problem last night – the team is adjusting to the new system.

it's a game of inches. johnny could've had a multi-point night last night, easily, if laine kept his stick down and the redirect at the end worked. also if sillinger's shot didn't go bar-out, i think johnny was in line for an assist there too? may be mistaken.

Reactions: LJ7 and CBJx614

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
not really sure why people are giving johnny so much flack for last night's game.

he had a pass to laine that would've been a tap-in but it skipped over his stick by an inch, then he had another pass for a redirect late that also narrowly missed.

struggled a bit in transition but so did the whole team. he wasn't the problem last night – the team is adjusting to the new system.

it's a game of inches. johnny could've had a multi-point night last night, easily, if laine kept his stick down and the redirect at the end worked. also if sillinger's shot didn't go bar-out, i think johnny was in line for an assist there too? may be mistaken.
It’s not all about points, that’s not what I mean at least. As you may have noticed, my initial post said nothing about his stats.

He’s not engaging. I know he’s not defensive or physical, and that’s fine, but he’s a liability. And offensively, like you said, his transition game struggled. That’s his bread and butter.

I’m not saying we need to ring alarm bells but I think it’s something to watch out for.

Reactions: I3LI3

cbjthrowaway

Jul 4, 2020
It’s not all about points, that’s not what I mean at least. As you may have noticed, my initial post said nothing about his stats.

He’s not engaging. I know he’s not defensive or physical, and that’s fine, but he’s a liability. And offensively, like you said, his transition game struggled. That’s his bread and butter.

I’m not saying we need to ring alarm bells but I think it’s something to watch out for.
in fairness to johnny, all of the team's exits/entries were clunky as hell last night. last year their strategy was basically just "give it to johnny and have him carry the whole way" and i don't think that's part of their new system.

obviously you want your star players to create space and make plays, but it was also a classic torts team and we've certainly been on the other side of that plenty of times.

Reactions: CBJWerenski8

NotWendell

Has also never won the lottery.
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
It's like the ice we were skating and passing on was bumpy and choppy while theirs was smooth and clean. I know we skated on the same ice, but it didn't look like it. What's up with THAT?!?

squashmaple

gudbranson apologist
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2022
Columbus
It's like the ice we were skating and passing on was bumpy and choppy while theirs was smooth and clean. I know we skated on the same ice, but it didn't look like it. What's up with THAT?!?
The Flyers were definitely struggling with it, too. It looked awful, inexcusable for the first game of the season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad