Player Discussion Joseph freaking Woll

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
You can just tell he’s going to be good by his style of play. I’ve never seen a goalie so calm in a Leafs sweater. Positionally aware and able to make acrobatic saves.

I think his secret is he’s so good he knows he doesn’t have much to worry about.

horner

May 22, 2007
Was talking about something else and not Sammy in the Joe Woll thread....I'm a rebel, I know, but it is what it could be but probably wasn't or never were

As to you're query, I like Sammy he seems like a good kid, he has some real skill, but something is currently wrong and whether physical or mental who knows? Hopefully it's physical so it can heal or be fixed.
We need to get Sammy back to last yrs confidence .
If woll is the real deal then at the TRL hopefully we can get a late 1st for Sammy.

Trade for a dman

Reactions: therealkoho

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
If Woll isn’t the starter I don’t know how one becomes one..

Woll has played 28, 19, and 15 games in the past three seasons (AHL/NHL combined).

So I definitely could see where he's the better goalie, but they're hesitant to ride him too hard. Hopefully he hits 40 games played, but barring an injury to Sammy, I'd be surprised if he played 45+.

Come playoffs, good chance he's THE starter though.

CabanaBoy5

Feb 17, 2013
Woodbridge
Along with his Price-like calmness in the net, one of the things I've noticed about Woll is that he doesn't seem to give up the "soft" goal. Granted, small sample size. That's unlike Samsonov, or any of the goalies in the past 15-20 years, who combined good saves with one atrocious back-breaking goal at an inopportune time.

Divine

Dec 18, 2010

Woll has a .934 save percentage in 15 NHL games so far. It seems like after his injury early last season his game took a step up. He was an AHL all-star last year, and hasn't missed a beat in the NHL yet.

NHL goalies struggle in the AHL a lot of the time too because it's unpredictable. Woll has both athleticism and a calm game. Samsonov is athletic but all over the place.

It's not like Woll is unreasonably young anyway. He's older than Ottenginer and a year younger than Samsonov who was our #1 starter at the same age last year. He'll never be a starter until we play him like a starter. He's earned the role so far. For me, it's Woll's net unless Samsonov earns it back. We're very likely losing Samsonov to Free Agency this summer anyway, so might as well get Woll more experience.

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
Yeah, you really need to use this season to see what we have in Woll. He should be starting half the season at minimum as long as he obviously stays healthy and plays decently. Push him and see how he responds. Samsonov is not the long term solution.

Reactions: OddyOh

Twine Tickler

Apr 5, 2010
Vancouver
this spell of good play is eerily similar to when Soupy emerged as the guy ahead of Freddy. What's even wilder is Sammy's play of late is also eerily similar to how Freddy was playing in his final year as a bud as well. Consistently not coming up with a save when you need it and struggling to track the play.

We all know how Soupy faired for us in the end. Solid but fragile mentally. I really hope Joe can emerge as the guy for years to come. It has been a very long time since we have had stability in between the pipes. Not since the early years of Fred, and before that Eddy.

Woll's recent run of play this past couple years has been nothing short of amazing TBH. He's 9-2-0 in his 11 GP since rejoining the buds last season all while posting a ludicrous combined .942 SV% in those 11 games. But it is still a very small sample size all things considered and I am trying to keep that all in perspective.

That said, I love this kid. He has the pedigree, He has the size, he has the skillset, he has the positioning, he has the athleticism, and he has the battle. All of those qualities that are major indicators of a successful starting goaltender in the modern NHL. Will he have the strength in between the ears when things aren't going his way?? That is the test we have yet to see Joe face.

I am going to cautiously enjoy this level of play from Joe. He is an incredibly easy guy to cheer for. He's earned everything he's got, and he just seems like a genuine dude. I really would love to see him become our guy for years and years to come.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Woll has been excellent and a real steadying force for the Leafs.

Not that surprising as I have been among those that believed he was the Leafs goalie of the future and would take the net from Samsonov and end up Leafs #1G.

Thanks Lou Lam :thumbu:

DuklaNation

Aug 26, 2004
He looked solid last season. So, you'd hope he would be given an opportunity to seize the #1 job this season. Its somewhat surprising it happened so early.

horner

May 22, 2007
Woll has played 28, 19, and 15 games in the past three seasons (AHL/NHL combined).

So I definitely could see where he's the better goalie, but they're hesitant to ride him too hard. Hopefully he hits 40 games played, but barring an injury to Sammy, I'd be surprised if he played 45+.

Come playoffs, good chance he's THE starter though.
It's all about keeping him healthy and rested for the playoffs
35 - 40 games should be good.

Reactions: kb

as Pure as Evil

Sep 18, 2011
Hell, Alberta
got torched last season saying sammy was the present an woll the future after campbell left

just ordered his jersey hopefully it works out like the potvin one

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad