Value of: Juraj Slafkovsky

Status
Not open for further replies.

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
agreed on Slaf, I think guhle would be better off bridged than an 8x8. I don't think his defensive archetype is 1 that he'll be demanding 10 mill if you wait 3 years.

3 years x 4 mill or so, maintain RFA rights, and even if he truly breaks out I don't see him commanding more than 9.5x8 just based on the type of dman he is (comp there would be sergachev contract) Overall that would be 88 mill for 11 years given that format, or 11 years at 8 mill AAV

whereas an 8x8 now would be 64 mill, and I don't see Kaiden Guhle willing to take a cheap deal in 2032 when he's 30 years old and the cap is 130 mill. Certainly not another 8x3 deal as a UFA.
I would not hesitate to give Guhle the Shea Theodore contract. Anywhere under 6M and 7-8 (ideally 8) years and I will be very happy.

Rumors that you just made up ? Slaf is not getting more than Suzuki, with one good season.

Guhle is certainly not getting 8M, what did he do to deserve that ? No need to rush things.
8x8 was for Slafkovski. I think Guhle gets somewhere between 5.5-6M on a 8 years deal.

The rumors was that Montreal are looking to sign both to long term contracts. Numbers are my own personal opinion.

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
I would not hesitate to give Guhle the Shea Theodore contract. Anywhere under 6M and 7-8 (ideally 8) years and I will be very happy.
100% agree. sub 6 mill and I'd go for as much term as possible. But just 8x8 would be FAR too much for a guhle type

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
100% agree. sub 6 mill and I'd go for as much term as possible. But just 8x8 would be FAR too much for a guhle type
Yeah I read my post again and it really looks like I’m saying Guhle should get 8x8 but I really meant Slafkovski only

Reactions: dgibb10

waitin425

Jan 10, 2009
Canada
Slaf is not getting more than Suzuki and Caufield. And....that is the beauty of such a precedent being set by your current best player. We are going to have great talent locked up for reasonable cap hits.

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
Slaf is not getting more than Suzuki and Caufield. And....that is the beauty of such a precedent being set by your current best player. We are going to have great talent locked up for reasonable cap hits.
What precedent?
Suzuki signed his contract at 9.66% of the salary cap with career highs of 15 goals and 41 points.
Caufield with career highs of 43 points and 26 goals, at 9.52% of the cap

9.66% of the cap for Slafkovsky would be about 9 mill AAV when his new contract kicks in

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
Rumors that you just made up ? Slaf is not getting more than Suzuki, with one good season.

Guhle is certainly not getting 8M, what did he do to deserve that ? No need to rush things.
Nick Suzuki got 9.66% of the cap based off 1 good season of 15 goals and 41 points in his age 21 season

Slafkovsky just put up 20 goals and 50 points in his age 19 season.

9.66% of the cap in today's money would be 9 mill AAV

waitin425

Jan 10, 2009
Canada
What precedent?
Suzuki signed his contract at 9.66% of the salary cap with career highs of 15 goals and 41 points.
Caufield with career highs of 43 points and 26 goals, at 9.52% of the cap

9.66% of the cap for Slafkovsky would be about 9 mill AAV when his new contract kicks in
Interesting......dig a little deeper my friend.

Suzuki scored his 41 points in 56 games in the covid shortened season and signed the following October as the following season started.

Caufield signed June 5, 23. After scoring 36 points in 46 games following an injury shortened season. In addition his 43 points was the year prior, also in an injury shortened 67 game campaign.

I mean, the % of the cap hit can be argued, but I don't see it becoming the best of arguments. Both Suzuki and Caufield had better PPG in the preceding seasons, then Slaf. Precedent has been set by those two. Now.....if Slaf opts to wait until next summer to re-up, well that could work both to his advantage and against it. If he signs this summer. It won't be for more than those other two.

Last edited:
Reactions: CristianoRonaldo

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
Interesting......dig a little deeper my friend.

Suzuki scored his 41 points in 56 games in the covid shortened season and signed the following October as the following season started.

Caufield signed June 5, 23. After scoring 36 points in 46 games following an injury shortened season. In addition his 43 points was the year prior, also in an injury shortened 67 point campaign.

I mean, the % of the cap hit can be argued, but I don't see it becoming the best of arguments. Both Suzuki and Caufield had better PPG in the preceding seasons, then Slaf. Precedent has been set by those two. Now.....if Slaf opts to wait until next summer to re-up, well that could work both to his advantage and against it. If he signs this summer. It won't be for more than those other two.
Caufield and Suzuki were 21 and 22 in those season.

Slafkovsky was 19.

The real precedent being set is that montreal is willing to pay up for relatively unproven players.

waitin425

Jan 10, 2009
Canada
Caufield and Suzuki were 21 and 22 in those season.

Slafkovsky was 19.
Both were coming off their ELC's. You could argue that as older players, they would ask for more on a long term contract as it eats into their prime years.
The real precedent being set is that montreal is willing to pay up for relatively unproven players.
They proved enough to earn contracts that were commensurate with what they signed for. Both played to their pay level this year...it could be argued that Suzuki's value was above his pay scale.

I'm not sure what you are even arguing here. Is this second point, an attempt at criticizing the Habs, or does it somehow circle back to your argument that Slaf will make more?

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
He is a top 10 player in the world that is under 21 years old. He would have to be traded for another similarly projected player that Montreal likes better. So basically a lopsided trade that favors the habs.

He is a top 10 player in the world that is under 21 years old - let me clarify - for his age group. He would have to be traded for another similarly projected player that Montreal likes better. So basically a lopsided trade that favors the habs.

Reactions: Miller Time

Alikhan Alizada

Jul 16, 2017
NJD's next 3 1sts would be my offer just off the top of my head

10th overall+2 other 1sts.

Habs wouldn't do it since this year's draft is weak and we wouldn't really get anything close to slaf with the 10th imo and 2 low first rounders. Provorov got 1 1st rounder and 2 2nd , helge grans and Cale Peterson. Slaf would get a lot more.

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
Habs wouldn't do it since this year's draft is weak and we wouldn't really get anything close to slaf with the 10th imo and 2 low first rounders. Provorov got 1 1st rounder and 2 2nd , helge grans and Cale Peterson. Slaf would get a lot more.
Ivan Provorov is such a random comparable to use considering they have absolutely nothing in common

Alikhan Alizada

Jul 16, 2017
Ivan Provorov is such a random comparable to use considering they have absolutely nothing in common
They don't have anything in common. Slaf is way more valuable.

Would you trade Luke Hughes for the 10th overall and 2 picks between 20-30 overall?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad