Player Discussion Kaapo Kakko

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
There is no correlation to confidence improving a player's ability to skate, none.

Conversely, a player improving their skating can and will absolutely give them more confidence in their game.
Confidence doesn't improve his skating, it makes him more aggressive. He's using his top speed more because he's more sure of what he's doing. In other words, he's playing at a faster pace.

bleedblue94

Jun 8, 2004
not physical ability, but effort level.
The theme of "reaching" continues in the Kakko threads for 4 years now.

Ability is literally your physical ability to do something. Effort is based on your willingness to put in work.
Confidence takes away hesitancy as to where you are going and what you are doing when you get there. Hesitancy slows you down. No, confidence doesn’t make you physically ABLE to skate faster, but it causes you to perform to the BEST of your ability. It’s the same with anything. He’s making better decisions not because he did some sort of training that made him smarter, but because he’s confident. Same logic. You’ll tap more of your potential in every aspect of the game when you are confident and seem slower, dumber and less skilled when you are not.
See my previous comment about he ability for NYR trainers to get their hands on him for a prolonged period. He is skating better now than at most anytime that we have seen in 4 years. This isn't because he suddenly has confidence, I am willing to wager there is some significant differences in his physical strength in his legs based on the time rehabbing and training, and that is showing up in the improved play that you are noting. His base is stronger...

Confidence doesn't improve his skating..
Let's just stop right there because that was my original comment as a reply to this statement:
"Laf was a terrible skater too, as recently as this preseason. Somehow, he found another gear. Amazing what confidence can do."

As you just said, confidence doesn't improve skating...

Reactions: Pawnee Rangers

bleedblue94

Jun 8, 2004
I actually would bet Kakko has been getting more confident in a bit of a stable situation he’s found on that third line this year.
I bet his lower body post injury is currently the strongest it has ever been in his pro career, and in the NHL lower body and core is everything...

noncents

Feb 25, 2022
I actually would bet Kakko has been getting more confident in a bit of a stable situation he’s found on that third line this year.
agreed i think he's been good post injury and post deadline. Just give them more ice time please. Defensive clinic from Wennberg last night

Reactions: CLW and bhamill

Daves a mess

Jan 8, 2014
Dube, Laf's personal trainer, said they measured his lower body strength this summer before he left for camp and he was 30% stronger, hence why he is so fast and mobile below the waist. I hope Kakko does something similar. Skating is so important, and Dube said they knew his first step had to be worked on. That extra second or two is key in becoming a star versus a decent player.
Now let's get Kaapo the same PT

bhamill

Apr 16, 2012
See my previous comment about he ability for NYR trainers to get their hands on him for a prolonged period. He is skating better now than at most anytime that we have seen in 4 years. This isn't because he suddenly has confidence, I am willing to wager there is some significant differences in his physical strength in his legs based on the time rehabbing and training, and that is showing up in the improved play that you are noting. His base is stronger...

Let's just stop right there because that was my original comment as a reply to this statement:
"Laf was a terrible skater too, as recently as this preseason. Somehow, he found another gear. Amazing what confidence can do."

As you just said, confidence doesn't improve skating...
The flaw in your interpretation of my comments is that it’s not a binary “either or” choice. And I never said it was. It’s a combination. If you’re a terrible skater confidence won’t make you a great skater. But if you have no confidence you don’t fully realize your abilities. You could have all the ability in the world but if you are second guessing yourself you won’t play to your potential. If you’ve ever played a sport you know what I’m talking about. If you have no confidence you will not play to your abilities. Everyone knows if you’re inside your own head you’re going to play badly. I’m not sure why this is such a point of contention, to be perfectly honest.
What do you think changed in Laf between pre season and the regular season? His physical abilities or his confidence and mindset?

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
He is slow as molasses and a couple leg injuries' isnt going to help things. But he has found the scoring touch which is good. As he moves into his mid-20s hes going to need to be in the blue paint more because he is never going to be a speed guy.
I believe KK can probably improve both his speed and his motor but he has to put the work in to do that in the offseason. No fan, agent, coaches or teammates can do it for him.

bhamill

Apr 16, 2012
He's our top depth guy. He doesnt play much on special teams.

Minimal special teams time. Its semantics. He is just obviously less important than the 4 forwards on PP1
Since when does non special teams mean “depth”? I’d say at this point he’s definitely more important than Mika. If Mika went down, Laf would likely produce similarly on the PP AND already contributes more scoring off of it. I’d say he’s on the same level as Kreids or Tro. I do not think PP1 would suffer from him being on it. And I’d be surprised if he’s not on it starting next year. When people talk about depth scoring they are usually referencing the bottom 12, Laf is a legit 1RW right now.
Tro has 3pts more at EV won’t be surprised if Laf passes him by years end. . Kreids has 8pts LESS at EV. Let’s not even look at Mika’s EV numbers.

Last edited:

RagFinMet

Jan 5, 2019
Comparing laf to Kk is fair
But i wouldn't say laf put in the work and that's why he took the leap..
I bet both worked hard last summer
2 biggest reasons laf took the leap and kk hasnt are:
Kk got hurt, laf didnt
Laf was stapled to a SUPERSTAR
Panarin has lifted up laf and Tro's game
And this line gets tons of icetime
If GG remained and Laf was stapled to the 3rd line like KK has been he wouldn't have taken the leap we've seen.
In a small sample size last season we saw the potential pan tro laf had but GG didnt like them defensively..
Thankfully, Lavi knew his system would make up for their defensive worts
Now if KK stayed healthy and played with pan tro, who knows if he would have been the one to take the leap
We'll never know
But to me it's obvious, playing with the new and improved panarin allowed laffy to be more creative and more confident
You literally saw laf get better and better as each month past
No player can improve with 11 mins of ice time playing with bottom 6 linemates
Sadly, kk just doesn't fit with KZ(few do however)
It's ashame Chytil got hurt..
He was KK's best fit at C

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
Since when does non special teams mean “depth”? I’d say at this point he’s definitely more important than Mika. If Mika went down, Laf would likely produce similarly on the PP AND already contributes more scoring off of it. I’d say he’s on the same level as Kreids or Tro. I do not think PP1 would suffer from him being on it. And I’d be surprised if he’s not on it starting next year. When people talk about depth scoring they are usually referencing the bottom 12, Laf is a legit 1RW right now.
Tro has 3pts more at EV won’t be surprised if Laf passes him by years end. . Kreids has 8pts LESS at EV. Let’s not even look at Mika’s EV numbers.

Im not criticizing him. Im pointing out that he is lower on the coach's pecking order this season than our core forwards, i.e. depth.

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
Comparing laf to Kk is fair
But i wouldn't say laf put in the work and that's why he took the leap..
I bet both worked hard last summer
2 biggest reasons laf took the leap and kk hasnt are:
Kk got hurt, laf didnt
Laf was stapled to a SUPERSTAR
Panarin has lifted up laf and Tro's game
And this line gets tons of icetime
If GG remained and Laf was stapled to the 3rd line like KK has been he wouldn't have taken the leap we've seen.
In a small sample size last season we saw the potential pan tro laf had but GG didnt like them defensively..
Thankfully, Lavi knew his system would make up for their defensive worts
Now if KK stayed healthy and played with pan tro, who knows if he would have been the one to take the leap
We'll never know
But to me it's obvious, playing with the new and improved panarin allowed laffy to be more creative and more confident
You literally saw laf get better and better as each month past
No player can improve with 11 mins of ice time playing with bottom 6 linemates
Sadly, kk just doesn't fit with KZ(few do however)
It's ashame Chytil got hurt..
He was KK's best fit at C
Kakko did get his fair share of time with Kreider and Zibby before injury.
It’s that that line never really clicked…
Kakko often looked like the best 1 at even strength tbh…
It’s a shame he’ll likely never get on 1PP here…..
That’s why I’d at least get him in the rotation on the PK. Just to get him out on the ice more if for nothing else.
Chytil going down def hurt him and the team as a whole…..
Chytil and Kreider also had some chemistry together in the past. Chytil injury really limited Lav s options. It’s too bad se didn’t have a young C prospect to at least throw in there to try, or maybe even move a guy from wing to C.
It’s obviously too late in the season for that now…

I think we’ll see a trade for a youngish center in the offseason. Someone akin to a Novak that will allow this to be truly a 3 line team capable of scoring.
Edstrom should be the 4C going fwd starting next year. He looks good at the nhl level already and AHL playoffs should be good for his development as well

Reactions: mandiblesofdoom

bhamill

Apr 16, 2012
Im not criticizing him. Im pointing out that he is lower on the coach's pecking order this season than our core forwards, i.e. depth.
I mean criticizing him is fine anyway. I just see him as a top three/four forward on this team. We just have different pictures of what “depth” is.

bhamill

Apr 16, 2012
so bored of discussing Kakko lol.

He is what he is. He's fine.

I'm not holding out for a Laf-like development. But he's still an asset to the team.
That’s fair, but honestlyId be very surprised if “he is what he is” a couple of months after turning 23 and that’s it for development… that would be a huge outlier.

Reactions: mandiblesofdoom

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
That’s fair, but honestlyId be very surprised if “he is what he is” a couple of months after turning 23 and that’s it for development… that would be a huge outlier.
Yeah but he’s not going to get the opportunities here. 3rd line is his ceiling because that’s the only place they’ll play him. Because it’s his fault that CK and Zibanejad play like dogshit when he’s on their wing

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
It's a real pattern at this point. He's had, according to my eye test:

1) A terrible rookie season. Should have been AHL from day 3.
2) A solid sophomore year, not much offense but great two way play
3) A step back 3rd year from the 2nd
4) And improved 4th year, best yet
5) Yet another step backwards

He's been up and down but each down and up year has been marginally better than the last one. So who knows, maybe he's due for 50 next season.

UnSandvich

Sep 7, 2017
Yeah but he’s not going to get the opportunities here. 3rd line is his ceiling because that’s the only place they’ll play him. Because it’s his fault that CK and Zibanejad play like dogshit when he’s on their wing

W/r/t your last sentence, I wouldn’t even go that far. Kreider-Chytil-Kakko has been pretty solid in the very limited time thru e gotten together

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
W/r/t your last sentence, I wouldn’t even go that far. Kreider-Chytil-Kakko has been pretty solid in the very limited time thru e gotten together

They have played a total of four games together as a line, all in in the shortened 2021 season, of which 2 games were against the Flyers and 2 games against the Sabres. The Sabres were the worst team in the league and the Flyers were bad. I would take zero from that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad