Player Discussion Kaiden Guhle

Hannibal

Fear the Weber
Feb 11, 2007
The kid needs to protect himself or get on a bulk regime asap. He gets drilled on his ass almost as much as prime Josh Gorges out there.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
The kid needs to protect himself or get on a bulk regime asap. He gets drilled on his ass almost as much as prime Josh Gorges out there.
Yes he is 22 and will naturally get a bit bigger and stronger but I agree with you...he is at times vulnerable.

Reactions: Andrei79

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
Yes he is 22 and will naturally get a bit bigger and stronger but I agree with you...he is at times vulnerable.

He has the strength but just doesn't weigh enough to present a sturdier target.

When he fills out he will be a beast....provide he doesn't suffer serious injury(ies) between now and then.

Canadienna

Jan 27, 2015
Dew drops and rainforest
This kid needs to spend the summer with Savard to put on some weight.

You can see his eyes are bigger than his stomach. He wants to enforce his will out there but isn't strong/heavy enough.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
To what end? Does that make the team better?
Yes and to the end of actually developping Guhle instead of having him do whatever hes doing right now. They took one of the best young D in the league and stifled him into whatever he is today. Its enough. Matheson isn't part of the future, Guhle is. Have Savard baby sit Guhle while he explores his game.

Hannibal

Fear the Weber
Feb 11, 2007
The new Josh Gorges a.k.a getting drilled every shift.

The guy needs to hit the gym big time and work on his fishing rod legs.

Reactions: The Gr8 Dane

Sam de Mtl

Oct 11, 2021
Yes and to the end of actually developping Guhle instead of having him do whatever hes doing right now. They took one of the best young D in the league and stifled him into whatever he is today. Its enough. Matheson isn't part of the future, Guhle is. Have Savard baby sit Guhle while he explores his game.

🤔 Guhle looks great out there. His skating, active sticks and physicality (not an overly aggressive guy, but taking position on players) is well above average and he is mostly dominating his shifts defensively while being sent against the best players regularly. Not sure what anyone could want more from Guhle at this point. Offense is generally something that comes later for this type of defenseman and it's fine like that.

As for Matheson with Guhle, Guhle covers some of Matheson's deficiencies. Savard does a ton for Arber's play and confidence. These are two fine pairings for development.

Last edited:

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021
Matheson who is the veteran and has played RD in his career should be playing RD not Guhle.
It makes absolutely no sense to me.
It's because MSL decided Guhle is a defensive D only and has to learn to babysitting offensive only dmen like Matheson as part of his development.

Reactions: Mrb1p

ngc_5128

Sep 24, 2002
It's because MSL decided Guhle is a defensive D only and has to learn to babysitting offensive only dmen like Matheson as part of his development.
Maybe MSL knows that Guhle already has enough offensive chops and is helping him round out his defensive game? Easy to practice the defensive side of the game when your partner hangs you out to dry 40 times a night.

EveryDay

Jun 13, 2009
🤔 Guhle looks great out there. His skating, active sticks and physicality (not an overly aggressive guy, but taking position on players) is well above average and he is mostly dominating his shifts defensively while being sent against the best players regularly. Not sure what anyone could want more from Guhle at this point. Offense is generally something that comes later for this type of defenseman and it's fine like that.

As for Matheson with Guhle, Guhle covers some of Matheson's deficiencies. Savard does a ton for Arber's play and confidence. These are two fine pairings for development.
No he doesn't, he look terrible, he's making mistake after mistake like Matheson.

That duo is stuck in their own end way too much. Put him back at LD.

Reactions: The Gr8 Dane

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021
Maybe MSL knows that Guhle already has enough offensive chops and is helping him round out his defensive game? Easy to practice the defensive side of the game when your partner hangs you out to dry 40 times a night.
MSL is always surprised when Guhle get points, so I don't think he believes that.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
He is starting to get stronger and meaner
Damphousse said something I found a little bit intriguing last night.
He was put on his off wing early in his career and wasn't very comfortable.
He felt that eventually it made him a better player when he returned to his strong side.
Maybe it will work that way with Kaiden Guhle.
I certainly don't think too many fans see this as a long term solution.

Reactions: 26Mats

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010

No he doesn't, he look terrible, he's making mistake after mistake like Matheson.

That duo is stuck in their own end way too much. Put him back at LD.

Honestly, both are kind of right.

The only D that face tougher or comparable competition with a more D-zone oriented usage than Guhle and Matheson are Walman-Seider, Borgen-Oleksiak, Cernak, Pelech and Martinez. Pretty much everyone playing those minutes gets "stuck in their own end way too much".

Guhle isn't above criticism and tends to be overrated on here (I don't see the offensive upside a lot of fans on here seem to see), but I'm pretty confident he'd look even better if Montreal had more than one D pair that could play against top competition. Every other young/inexperienced D-man (which is every other D-man other than Savard) has looked good in sheltered minutes but has gotten killed when facing tougher competition. Which is normally what you expect with young D and on a rebuilding team.

But I prefer him on the left side, and Montreal is going to need to figure out how to get him back there (and no, sticking Matheson on the right side isn't a fix).

Reactions: Draft and EveryDay

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad