Player Discussion K'Andre Miller

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
Literally Hedman type of potential. If not greater, since he's a better athlete.

I was ridiculed for saying it last year. He had the potential of being one of the top shutdown defenseman in the league... No shutdown defender has his toolbox. He smothers players. He literally made Crosby swing his purse out of frustration

You see the glimpses of every facet of the game.... and it's coming together. Hedman was not Hedman until his mid 20's. Don't forget that... and KAM was really raw as a defender... Point totals will be limited as well because of his PP usage.

He's untouchable and I'd try to lock him up long term when given the opportunity

Yeah Hedman is kind of an interesting comparison. Dunno if Miller will reach those point totals as you say but both big rangy guys with a lot of physical tools and all around skillset.

But in general a good reminder for people to be patient with young players (even Fox!) as they have their ups and downs and make adjustments. I wonder how Miller-Fox would work in the future, but that said it's kind of good to see how playing with Trouba has helped Miller progress as well

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
Yeah Hedman is kind of an interesting comparison. Dunno if Miller will reach those point totals as you say but both big rangy guys with a lot of physical tools and all around skillset.

But in general a good reminder for people to be patient with young players (even Fox!) as they have their ups and downs and make adjustments. I wonder how Miller-Fox would work in the future, but that said it's kind of good to see how playing with Trouba has helped Miller progress as well
Fox-Miller seems right to me too. Maybe something they could try out in camp next season.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
I've maintained since his freshman year that Miller was a special prospect whose tools, if they come together, were borderline superstar-caliber. It's why I've always rated him above everyone but Fox.

I'm still not sure if it will totally come together for him, but it's impossible not to be encouraged by the development we've seen from him. If he continues on this trajectory, the sky is the limit.

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010

While rookies last year, this is the first season Miller and Laf are getting around the league, so there is a lot of learning going on.

I don't think it should be surprising that we're seeing that growth this season from both. You're not defending the same players over and over. You're going to learn some things and apply them to your game.

Miller has taken that stride. That dime to Vatrano was beautiful. No tunnel vision. He's physical and turning into a real shutdown defender. His size and skating is going to give forwards all kinds of issues. I don't think the league has a 6'5 guy like him that can skate. Hedman isn't as fast. Only league comparable I see is Tage Thompson.

EdJovanovski

#RempeForConnSmythe
Apr 26, 2016
The Rempire State

While rookies last year, this is the first season Miller and Laf are getting around the league, so there is a lot of learning going on.

I don't think it should be surprising that we're seeing that growth this season from both. You're not defending the same players over and over. You're going to learn some things and apply them to your game.

Miller has taken that stride. That dime to Vatrano was beautiful. No tunnel vision. He's physical and turning into a real shutdown defender. His size and skating is going to give forwards all kinds of issues. I don't think the league has a 6'5 guy like him that can skate. Hedman isn't as fast. Only league comparable I see is Tage Thompson.

The Rangers are sooon to have another 😏

BKGooner

Jun 23, 2017
Straight up beast. I love it when top players around the league try to iso on him and he shuts them down. Have him watching Chara and Pronger tape for using his stick and then body guys when they get inside his reach.

Reactions: egelband

Scor

Mar 27, 2022
This kid has potential to be the teams number 1. Though I can't guarantee he'll put up huge numbers like Fox.

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

BroadwayStorm

Aug 2, 2005
New York City
A lot of you guys praising him now absolutely killed him every single time he turned the puck over or made a mistake. Really magnified his mistakes compared to an inferior prospect like Lindgren who f***s up all the time and gets a pass around here. I am glad he is making all of you eat crow. I have never seen such a tall guy be such a magnificent skater. And he is learning to use the body more. And he will continue to turn pucks over but with time will turn those rushes into highlight reel goals. He has a great accurate shot too. Always puts it on net.

ThirdEye

Nov 28, 2006
New York
Think we can all agree the guy was a steal at 22. I think if he had been playing the D position all of his life he probably would have went top 10 with that combination of size and skating ability.

Rangers really nailed it moving up to get him and then Schneider a few years later.

Although it's somewhat of a double-edge sword, the fact that he'll never really get much PP time here will keep his cost down quite a bit.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
don't feel like bumping one of the old Trouba threads but since 2/1/2022 Trouba and KAM are 7th and 8th respectively in relCF% and 10th and 11th in relxGF% in the league for defensemen with at least 300 min. They've also played more at ES than Lindgren and Fox.

Pretty cool
Trouba is really earning his contract. His physical play has created some game-changing moments and is a real boost. Key's growth curve is like a straight line at a 45 degree angle.

QJL

Jan 2, 2014
Where does K’Andre go in a 2018 redraft?

1. Dahlin
2. Svechnikov
3. QHughes
4. Miller???
5. BTkachuk

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad