Kane with sports hernia - had it all year

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Feels like theres some behind the scenes drama going on with Kane for him to announce this.

I think he’s been hurt since New Year’s.

Guess hes shining the light on himself prior to Game 1 for whatever reason. Comes across as selfish.
I agree.
There certainly does seem to be more to this story and revealing this injury is obviously intentional.
A sports hernia doesnt affect his brain though so it isnt at all unreasonable to expect Evander to make smart plays with the puck.
Especailly considering that his puck management has been garbage most of the season.

Unfortunately drama never seems to be too far away from Evander at times.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: brentashton

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
This org is never gonna be serious about winning. This was a layup to LTIR and add at the deadline. Not only could Kane be back for game 1 at 100% but we could have added an impact player.
I am pretty sure that you cant force a player to go on LTIR.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Yeah, I was pretty shocked to see that he still managed 24g this reg season. The poor guy has NOT looked good in quite a while now.

I also don't understand why this injury is so public now. Usually the players and staff are very hush-hush or play coy about these things. Why the change of heart now?
Most of the time they keep injuries quite to prevent the opposition from exploiting it. In this case I can't see any advantage to keep it quiet. It's not like the Kings are going to be able to do anything different than they would have before to take advantage of this.

Reactions: ujju2

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
I agree.
There certainly does seem to be more to this story and revealing this injury is obviously intentional.
A sports hernia doesnt affect his brain though so it isnt at all unreasonable to expect Evander to make smart plays with the puck.
Especailly considering that his puck management has been garbage most of the season.

Unfortunately drama never seems to be too far away from Evander at times.

Laughing at this. It appears it has!

• Haha
Reactions: guymez

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003

You think Kane would refuse to to on LTIR to get 100% recovered for the good of himself and the team, plus assist in the team adding a 5M player at the deadline for a better chance at the cup?

Probably should dump him if he's that dumb. But instead I think it's our management that needs to be launched into the sun. I doubt the idea even crossed the orgs mind. Just left him to struggle and be frustrated all year, and once again we go into playoffs with a busted Kane that we had all the time in the world to get healthy, with the added benefit we could have used his cap hit to add a player.

Last edited:

Lay Z Boy GM

Sep 8, 2010
Vancouver
This is really it, open and shut.

Kane has too much pride to go on LTIR for something he could play through. Hell, he came back from the wrist injury “early” as well
This is probably it. Same reason he told the media about the injury, being on the 4th line or scratched doesn’t look great.

24 goals with no 1st PP time and playing injured isn’t bad at all. It’s a real shame Kane got so unlucky the last couple years. If he’s healthy he’s probably scoring closer to 35 goals.

Reactions: ujju2 and Oilhawks

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
This is really it, open and shut.

Kane has too much pride to go on LTIR for something he could play through. Hell, he came back from the wrist injury “early” as well

Too much pride to help the team do obvious things that helped Tampa and Vegas win cups. And he would have stubbornly wanted to struggle all year and be broken for playoffs. Wow, that's a lot of pride, if only he had similar pride in playing defense :)

I dunno though. I think we just left him to his own devices, let him struggle all year and the thought of bending the rules and getting Kane on board to sitting and getting back to 100% never even crossed Holland's mind. We are the good boy team, forever waiting for the league to reward us for good behaviour, but keep getting it in the tail pipe instead.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
How do you know that Kane would agree to do it?
It becomes a matter of just telling him. Kane specifically stated he would be amenable here with superstars like McDrai in the fold. If a direct talk with him doesn't do it on its own indicate that the team benefits, and would want Kane as fit as possible when the games count. This is a critical post season. So was last one. Everything should be geared to success in post season.

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
Incompetent handling of this issue with the oilers. Should’ve been in LTIR at the trade deadline and rosters adds to bolster the lineup made. Why would they have done it this way?
Because you can't just force someone onto LTIR.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Yeah. After watching the video I feel a need to pull back on my earlier comment about being ok with Kane this year.

There was no need for him to put this out there. It’s not as if the Edmonton sports media are Pulitzer Prize winners.

This feels like a f*** you to some people in the organization. He’s too smart of a guy to suggest it was an error or lack of judgement. This appears very purposeful.

Either way, time to bear down and get to work. I’m afraid he’s made his path that much harder for himself.
He seems to be even grinning about it. If we didn't bring this guy back I wouldn't be sad about it. I think if anything Hyman has shown consistently how much success can be had playing with superstars here. Even Henrique has been showing that.

Willing to bet as well McD is suffering through more, and not saying much about it (correctly)

My take after this is there will be a feeling out process about his minutes and usage in playoffs and might even be sitting out some game. Kane is the one that outed his injury in what generally does not occur in the world of NHL hockey. This being remembered is the same guy that complained multiple times about his minutes, usage etc. Combine this with Kane being visibly on bench tongue lashed by all of McD, Drai, and more recently Perry and it seems like Kane possibly isn't on best behavior here anymore.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Because you can't just force someone onto LTIR.

I'd probably bet more money on Kane being the one hinting that he should be LTIR'd like Stone/Kuch and the org didn't want to do it. And now he is sour that he wasn't allowed to be out to get to 100% and is letting the world know the team let him struggle all season long.

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
I'd probably bet more money on Kane being the one hinting that he should be LTIR'd and the org didn't want to do it. And now he is sour that he wasn't allowed to be out to get to 100% and is letting the world know the team let him struggle all season long.
All speculation.

Also funny how this place rails on Vegas for cheating. They cheat, they're cheaters. They don't play by the rules.

Now it's turning into "why didn't the Oilers cheat too"?

• Love
Reactions: Oilhawks

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
All speculation.

Also funny how this place rails on Vegas for cheating. They cheat, they're cheaters. They don't play by the rules.

It's been "why don't the Oilers cheat too" for a while, and years of comments on lazy Holland. If you're not cheating, you're not trying in the NHL. That has been clear for a long time through a long history of professional divers like Forsberg and now multiple orgs winning a cup by scamming LTIR. Oilers doing this would have been 100% legit too. Why would you not want Kane 100% with the benefit of adding a 5M player? We brought him back early last year too and paid for it in the playoffs.

This org honestly is showing itself as too dumb/lazy to deserve to win.

RegDunlop

Nov 5, 2016
Edmonton
I'm betting he plays tomorrow, considering he's done playing through all year

does answer some questions though

Me too
And I expect he will be an asset playing his pain in the ass game
Like anyone, he has warts but I don't worry about E Kane in the POs until he shits the bed. Not speculation.

Reactions: MessierII

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
If he has a sports hernia just don’t allow your doctors to clear him to play. Who cares about his pride.
Unless it was bad enough he needed immediate surgery I am not sure how this would have worked. If it was that bad he could probably not have kept playing. Maybe you could have put him on LTIR for three or four weeks but to take advantage of the LTIR to bring in a big contract you were looking at 7+ weeks. Hard to say if they could have gotten away with that. The NHL is not known for giving the Oilers a lot of rope.

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
It's been "why don't the Oilers cheat too" for a while, and years of comments on lazy Holland. If you're not cheating, you're not trying in the NHL. That has been clear for a long time through a long history of professional divers like Forsberg and now multiple orgs winning a cup by scamming LTIR. Oilers doing this would have been 100% legit too. Why would you not want Kane 100%? We brought him back early last year too and paid for it in the playoffs.
Point being it's not cheating if everyone can do it and they choose not to.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Point being it's not cheating if everyone can do it and they choose not to.

I'd say it's very likely cheating when the same player magically has an injury every Feb and comes back perfectly for game 1 3 years in a row. Just the league is too hands off to do anything about it.

If Kane got a surgery in 2023 and we kept him out a little longer than needed (like Kuch few years ago) to fully use his LTIR, it's a little bit of scamming too, but at least the injury was legit. Gray areas that, yes, all teams can play in. Vegas seems to think they can be far more bold because of some favoritism I guess, but the Oilers wouldn't have needed to be nearly as bold this year, or even last with Kane. We just don't have the will to do what it takes is all.

Reactions: Skar

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
All speculation.

Only certain fans do. I'm not knocking that either. But if you're not looking for every loophole, every avenue, you're not trying enough. The Oilers of old had Euro contracts with players signed and handshake agreements to come here, and nowhere else, and with players such as Ruotsalaienen who they would call up in playoffs when needed. Was they had him on a semi secret taxi squad. Other teams even complained about the Oilers having a quality player like that in fold they could just send a plane for.

As Perry or MacT or Sather would say if you ain't cheating you aren't trying hard enough.

Reactions: oobga

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Unless it was bad enough he needed immediate surgery I am not sure how this would have worked. If it was that bad he could probably not have kept playing. Maybe you could have put him on LTIR for three or four weeks but to take advantage of the LTIR to bring in a big contract you were looking at 7+ weeks. Hard to say if they could have gotten away with that. The NHL is not known for giving the Oilers a lot of rope.

Pretty sure to play NHL hockey a hernia surgery recovery is 2-3 months. Fortunately we knew about it near the start of the season and have lots of time to get Kane to 100% before playoffs. And he can have minor set backs as needed like Kuch/Stone to stay practicing in full contact up until game 1 of the playoffs.

Oh wait...

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Me too
And I expect he will be an asset playing his pain in the ass game
Like anyone, he has warts but I don't worry about E Kane in the POs until he shits the bed. Not speculation.
Kane wasn't good in the playoffs just last year. 5pts and -3 and looking off on a lot of GA. Even a guy like Kostin was running better numbers.

Kane was a big sack of nothing in the Vegas series.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Kane wasn't good in the playoffs just last year. 5pts and -3 and looking off on a lot of GA. Even a guy like Kostin was running better numbers.

Kane was a big sack of nothing in the Vegas series.

Kane was busted last playoffs for sure. We rushed him back after his wrist injury (to avoid Holland having to do work) and he ended up busting something else before playoffs. It's insane we're doing this all over again. Both Kane and Yams with concussion issues were layups to LTIR last year. Kane super obvious LTIR guy this year. This team is just max pain to cheer for.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Kane was busted last playoffs for sure. We rushed him back after his wrist injury (to avoid Holland having to do work) and he ended up busting something else before playoffs. It's insane we're doing this all over again. Both Kane and Yams with concussion issues were layups to LTIR last year. Kane super obvious LTIR guy this year. This team is just max pain to cheer for.
The worst is it being described as some sort of valor on the part of the org. Seems just as likely the club can't be bothered to even take the measures to get LTIR and cap relief. Often times here one gets the sense of a team that isn't even being managed through most of the time. A guy shows up around TDL and for a week or two offseason and thats it.

As I mentioned in another post Sather was a pretty good cheater and would use any avenue. This is an org that poured sand in a visitor bench in playoffs to f*** with the opponents. We live in a city that zamboni'd the football field for a playoff game because it would suit the hometeam run up the gut game. I mean if we're being honest.

Reactions: RegDunlop

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad