• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RaMai

Mar 6, 2011
Canada
This is the kind of risk you take to go all the way...I think I would do it, but I could just be sentimental :cool:

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
Nope. Bringing in a 33 year old EK at the expense of a 26 year old top pairing dman doesn't make sense. We'd be doing SJ a favor regardless of salary retention so why would we hand them young talent in exchange?

33 year old Norris caliber 100 point defenceman vs a 26 year old Chabot whose best seasons wouldn't even be average Karlsson seasons you mean?

Reactions: Stylizer1

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
No chance. Karlsson is about to turn 33 and his last 2 years are buyout prohibitive

Reactions: Icelevel

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
I'd want Joseph to be included in the deal and would hope for more of a straight up swap that didn't involve a 2nd or Jarventie being included. Couldn't care less about losing Thomson or JBD.

Sharks obviously are retooling/rebuilding and would prefer straight up futures, but getting a defenseman that's 7 years younger obviously makes more sense than keeping EK through a rebuild, for so many reasons.

Given the way Chabot has been trending, I'd bet on EK to be the better of the two defensemen over the next 4 years, despite the age difference. Really disappointed with his development, to the point where I now think it's possible he won't even justify his 8M cap hit.

I think it would have made more sense if Melnyk was still our owner and real salary mattered more than cap hit, as EK's retained frontloaded deal would be better for us than Chabot's backloaded deal, but it could still be a win-win.

Reactions: Agent Zub

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
When karlsson gets traded and gets like 60 points next year while being a minus 23 this whole thing is gonna look ridiculous

60 points would still be more than what Chabot has produced in any of the last 4 seasons.

Karlsson had 74 EVEN STRENGTH points last season, Chabot had 21.

Even if Karlsson regresses significantly he's probably still the better player of the two.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
60 points would still be more than what Chabot has produced in any of the last 4 seasons.

Karlsson had 74 EVEN STRENGTH points last season, Chabot had 21.

Even if Karlsson regresses significantly he's probably still the better player of the two.
If Chabot was given green light to do whatever he wanted and play zero defence zero anything. He would put up points too. Put karlsson on a team with expectations and he will regress again.

I’ll keep Chabot. Points aren’t everything. Especially when we need our d men to play defence

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
If Chabot was given green light to do whatever he wanted and play zero defence zero anything. He would put up points too. Put karlsson on a team with expectations and he will regress again.

I’ll keep Chabot. Points aren’t everything. Especially when we need our d men to play defence

Karlsson is a better defensive player than Chabot though. He can also handle the attrition of 24+ minutes better.

I watched both this year. Karlsson was one of the best players in the game vs when was the last time we were impressed by Chabot? His sophomore season?

Another thing is that one is RD and one is LD.

Our LDs

Chabot
Chychrun
Sanderson
Brannstrom
Kleven

Our rd
Zub
??

Just based on that it makes sense, let alone Karlsson being on another level talent and impact wise.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Karlsson is a better defensive player than Chabot though. He can also handle the attrition of 24+ minutes better.

I watched both this year. Karlsson was one of the best players in the game vs when was the last time we were impressed by Chabot? His sophomore season?

Another thing is that one is RD and one is LD.

Our LDs

Chabot
Chychrun
Sanderson
Brannstrom
Kleven

Our rd
Zub
??

Just based on that it makes sense, let alone Karlsson being on another level talent and impact wise.
I’m og the opinion they let karlsson do whatever he wanted to up his value. For how long is he an impact player. This is his first good year since 2017.

StoicSensFan

ᕕ(ᐛ)ᕗ
Feb 6, 2014
Cantley
I can't wait until Chabot's play starting next season and forward makes this thread looks absolutely ridiculous. Rewatch Chabot's world juniors performance. That's the way he can play on a well balanced team (not relied on to play >25mins for an entire season) - which he's never been on in his NHL career.

SlapJack

Scum bag Sens
Dec 6, 2010
Doesn't matter if you want Karlsson back or not, with the retention San Jose would be paying almost as much for the next 5 years for Thomas Chabot. You think they would do that for a pair of assets in the range of 2nd round picks as the bonus? Not a chance

PlayersLtd

Mar 6, 2019
There are way more examples of teams ready to peak that bring in superstars and end up underachieving than there are examples of it working out, like 10:1.

If you think this team needs more over the top talent to win a cup you are not paying attention to what wins cups.

OD99

Oct 13, 2012

No.

Karlsson is one of the most gifted players of his generation and he isn't putting up those points just because he is only playing offence.

Even if he was, that's incredible production.

I wouldn't want to give up any other assets but if the Sharks were willing to take Chabot while retaining on Karlsson I would do the deal.

Sandy / Zub
Chychrun / Karlsson
Branny / JBD (OR WHOEVER)
Kleven?

Would be pretty sweet. Or swap Sandy to play with Karlsson as a better defensively partner who can still put up points.

Balances the backend.

LuckyPierre

Jul 1, 2010
Chabots actual salary escalates in a brutal way in the next few years.

He’ll be earning $10m annually. In fact, he’s projected to be among the highest paid defensemen in the league towards the end of his deal.

His recent play has not justified that ticket. Trading him to a team that would deploy him in an even worse scenario than Ottawa is a non starter - he would be a liability given contract and how he’s trending.

As much as I’d want to see the EK reunion tour, this deal has no basis in reality.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad