KHL Season 2021-2022

cska78

Nov 27, 2006
USA
www.fc-rostov.ru
While you are arguing and criticizing everything Mr Rotenberg got another promotion in SKA system. The guy has two farm clubs in he KHL, 2 in the VHL and not sure how many in the MHL, some of it is illegal, but he can do it, thus a promotion :)

Reactions: KTl

rohky

Jun 17, 2019
Reading
Is there any chance to see KHL clubs in Europe for the pre-season camps as it was in the previous years?

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
When is the schedule released?
We do not know. Last year they released it on Aug 7th due to COVID. Admiral has a deadline for July 31, so if they wait for the deadline, I would expect the release in early August. We will see. They use to release the home openers a few days before releasing the full schedule.

@Exarz wrote about mid-July, which I would agree if there was no Admiral deadline. It all depends on it, if they wait for July 31 or not.

E: Looks like @Exarz is right, early July.

Last edited:

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
Home openers to be released tomorrow. Full schedule will be released on Friday, July 9th. All at noon Moscow time.

rohky

Jun 17, 2019
Reading
Sochi has a goal for the 2021/2022 season - to reach play-off. Seems like a mission impossible to me. Money isn't everything. They are not a team, they are just a group of players IMHO

rohky

Jun 17, 2019
Reading
Players and coaches of Ak Bars received the first vaccination against coronavirus. Any other teams in the KHL do the same?

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
So no preview thread this year, just some general thoughts for those interested:

Admiral: more or less as bad as expected. No top-end players at F, no really good Ds other than the two imports and Nalimov in goal who is a cat in the bag at this point.

Ak Bars: I like the young guys on this team, don't really like the old guys. Kagarlitsky and Tarasov don't really fit Kvartalnov's teams. On paper, players that left are better than those who arrived so next season is really in the hands of Galimov, Voronkov, Lyamkin who can hopefully become true leaders of this team.

Amur: I actually quite like Amur's roster this year. If Lenc and Tomasek can be a legitimate top-line and Vorobyov can coach (which is my biggest concern) this is not a bad team compared to the relevant competition (Sibir and Neftekhimik).

Avangard: I honestly don't remember the team focussed on the size this much, in any league. So it's going to be interesting to see. The team itself, not much to say, basically an entirely new thing. It all depends if this new identity works or not. Zernov trade showed that definitely not everyone in the room is comfortable with it.

Avtomobilist: that defense does not look good enough. Top-9 F is stacked (as per usual for Avto) so we will see if Peters sinks or swims with this roster.

Barys: so many good depth players lost. Still a pretty good team but the margins are really thin this year. Injuries, underperforming players, bad coaching etc. knock them down to 7th place. They will likely add more bodies as the season progresses, it's fairly usual practice for Barys (Videll, Heatherington, Varone, etc.).

CSKA: coaching change aside, I think CSKA got better. So if they don't deliver I know who I will be pointing my finger at.

Minsk: solid team budget-wise obviously but pretty unconvincing at some positions. Especially in goal. I wouldn't trust Kolosov to be the #1 goalie quite yet and I definitely don't trust Rybar. That does seem like a problem. Forwards looked pretty meh as well but adding Kempe obviously solidified things a lot.

Riga: what even are the expectations here at this point.. This is the best roster in a long while but as I look through the teams in the West, I'm still not sure it's better than any of those. However, Sochi looks terrible, Seva and Vityaz have definitely gotten worse so if this ragtag group of guys can gel into a real team they can actually be fairly successful. It's kinda the ultimate glass-half-full/half-empty situation.

Dynamo Moscow: interesting team in the sense that it is very different, they took Jaskin's salary and improved depth to the point where it actually looks pretty good. They also still have only 4 imports so one more impact forward might turn them into a legitimate contender.

Sochi: they were horrible last year and got even worse. Hellberg's signing was kind of a smoke screen to cover it up. I just don't see any internal resources for this team to be anything but terrible. I guess having a good goalie makes sense from that perspective: it's the only thing that can create an illusion you are closer to the rest of the field than you actually are.

Jokerit: pretty much the same as ever. Solid team, will fight with the big boys, will lose. The only intrigue for me is how good is Kossila at the KHL level.

Kunlun: ok so we have gone from Kunlun really trying and having a big budget, to just mailing it in last year, to this ethnically cleansed version this year. The result is more or less every time - laughing stock of the league for one reason or another - so I expect more of the same this year. Sleeper potential to be the worst team in the league ever, pretty damn high potential to be the worst team in the league this year.

Loko: they still only have 3 imports. Would really benefit from having one more offensively gifted D. Other than that, as long as their young guys don't take a step backwards, everything seems fine.

Magnitka: one of the more exciting teams going into the season. 5/6 guys in their top-6 never really had that responsibility in the KHL before (for prolonged periods, at least). If they excel, this team might be dynamite. If they flop, another very mediocre season in Magnitogorsk.

Neftekhimik: the goalies seem really bad, the defense seems really bad... At F, meaningful losses were avoided and Sexton + Hudacek is back which is terrific but it can't be enough to compensate for the goals they are going to allow.. Unless their new coach is a miracle worker. However knowing how Nizhnekamsk's brass is with their coaches, he better show it fast.

Salavat: over the past few years, all Salavat's transfer activity seems like rearranging deck chairs on the Titanic. Obviously, they have to work within the budget limitations but that's why it's time to call it what it is: Salavat is a mid-table team. An occasional appearance in the conference finals just serves as a distraction that the good old days ended 10 years ago.

Severstal: I don't even understand what happened to Seva. Financial difficulties, I assume. They lost many important players and only bothered to bring in replacements for their imports. Petunin, Kapustin, Adamchuk, Provolnev are now just holes in the lineup waiting to be plugged somehow. A tough, tough season ahead.

Sibir: another team whose good old days seem far behind. Pretty sensible transfer activity and a good head coach but just not much quality on that roster. Might still be enough for the 8th spot though.

SKA: eliteprospects currently lists their roster at 39 players :laugh: Nothing wrong with that, maybe they will try to go for a bandy championship as well with the same team, I don't know. I'm not even really sure SKA's goal is to win the title anymore, they might be more busy playing their own sandbox development game. Obviously still a good team. Also a non-sensical one.

Spartak: sure made a lot of noise, a lot of moves but ultimately landed pretty much in the same place they have been only with an unproven coach. They will probably do a bit better than last year since they really did suffer from bad luck and flat-out bad roster construction but a pretty meh team nonetheless bound for QF loss.

Torpedo: I like Torpedo a lot, I think this is one of their better rosters in recent memory. I think they can finish as high as 6th in the conference if Kochetkov plays like a future NHL goalie people kinda sorta expect him to be. They might not but getting into the PO should be pretty smooth sailing in any case.

Traktor: good roster, not much more to say. Maybe a bit thin on offensive depth to win the conference and whatnot but competitive with anyone on a good day.

Vityaz: they are just being pillaged by SKA year after year, I don't know what else is there to say. Between that and the usual market activity, they lost every player of note. This new team they have managed to build is definitely a step backwards: no improvement on fairly mediocre goaltending, defense is just bad especially offensively and at forward, imports aside, guys are just plugs and stop-gaps that you pray are magically going to work. The weakest Vityaz team in a long while that has no shot at PO unless some team blows the tire completely.

So that's my take on this year's teams.

ozo

Feb 24, 2010
Kunlun: Sleeper potential to be the worst team in the league ever, pretty damn high potential to be the worst team in the league this year.

Good read all around, thanks for the writeup, but special kudos for cracking me up with quoted piece. :D

aonb

Oct 26, 2013
Robert Rooba impressed me a lot during offseason. I hope he'll put a decent numbers. He's playing best hockey of his life right now

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Robert Rooba impressed me a lot during offseason. I hope he'll put a decent numbers. He's playing best hockey of his life right now
He is, however, playing for Severstal on a down year so 25 points would be a good result. Other than him and Vovchenko that team just has no offense in it. And he is not the most difficult guy to stop for a good defense. He might have some spectacular games against Kunlun and the like.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad