Kitchener Rangers 2023-24 Off-Season Thread (Part 1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GeoBlue

Oct 21, 2017
Kitchener
Parsons can't let in a goal every 4 shots.
He doesn't have the best defense helping him but he has to make some of those saves. Teams that win championships win with great goaltending and team defense. Most midpack teams are far from that blue print.
Yeah, that insurance goal was bad. Parsons was not positioned right at all.

Reactions: RB76 and bobber

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
Just a point on goaltending. Listening last year to former NHL goalies on the tube talking stats. One mentioned that a goalie should be up around the Save% of 0.903 to contend in the playoffs. Now that's NHL. I really don't know that much about the game to make any practicle observation when it comes to goalie performance. Parsons is the 13th ranked goalie in the playoffs so far with a GAA of 4.52. Save% 0.830.
Most of the top ranked goalie are above 0.903. Looking at Parsons stats what information do we glean? Either he isn't performing at his best or the team defense is brutal. Has to be one of these two issues.

rangersblues

Mar 21, 2010
Just a point on goaltending. Listening last year to former NHL goalies on the tube talking stats. One mentioned that a goalie should be up around the Save% of 0.903 to contend in the playoffs. Now that's NHL. I really don't know that much about the game to make any practicle observation when it comes to goalie performance. Parsons is the 13th ranked goalie in the playoffs so far with a GAA of 4.52. Save% 0.830.
Most of the top ranked goalie are above 0.903. Looking at Parsons stats what information do we glean? Either he isn't performing at his best or the team defense is brutal. Has to be one of these two issues.
I'm surprised that 0.903 is enough for the playoffs in the NHL. When I get some time I'll have to look up some save percentage numbers.

For sure 0.830 isn't going to cut it. But I don't think it's all on Parsons (some for sure) or even the dmen. Overall team defence has been missing. Definitely not conducive to winning playoff hockey.

Edit - last season was in the low 0.900s. However the previous seasons to go deep save percentage was 0.920++

Last edited:

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
I'm surprised that 0.903 is enough for the playoffs in the NHL. When I get some time I'll have to look up some save percentage numbers.

For sure 0.830 isn't going to cut it. But I don't think it's all on Parsons (some for sure) or even the dmen. Overall team defence has been missing. Definitely not conducive to winning playoff hockey.
True. Never saw the whole game yesterday. What we did see after the quick start was the Rangers focused on offense. Getting out skated constantly coming back after giving up pucks. They also have serious issues with break outs.
A strong forecheck by the opposition causes panic. Rangers hardly ever make that clean one time pass to get the puck out. Rangers have bigger issues than goaltending to solve. Fixter says they need to work on puck management. Says it's an easy fix. Who knows?
I think the 0.903 was mentioned by Kelly Hrudey. I'm sure he meant at least this percentage going forward.

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
Or both

Mar 12, 2009
Our D is relatively young. One OA. One 04. The rest younger. That’s a big problem.

Parsons is good but not a money goalie. When you have the D we have, you need a money goalie to compensate. 0-3 on breakaways won’t cut it with this D.

MM again this year didn’t address needs at the deadline.
He wanted to have the best of both worlds (rebuilding and contending). He gambled for it and ended up with the best of neither.

Rangers True Blue

Aug 2, 2017
Parsons can't let in a goal every 4 shots.
He doesn't have the best defense helping him but he has to make some of those saves. Teams that win championships win with great goaltending and team defense. Most midpack teams are far from that blue print.
Parsons was not at his best and 4-4, the Rangers had their chance and blew it.

Rangers True Blue

Aug 2, 2017
True. Never saw the whole game yesterday. What we did see after the quick start was the Rangers focused on offense. Getting out skated constantly coming back after giving up pucks. They also have serious issues with break outs.
A strong forecheck by the opposition causes panic. Rangers hardly ever make that clean one time pass to get the puck out. Rangers have bigger issues than goaltending to solve. Fixter says they need to work on puck management. Says it's an easy fix. Who knows?
I think the 0.903 was mentioned by Kelly Hrudey. I'm sure he meant at least this percentage going forward.
Saw the whole game and Rangers passes were atrocious - the exact opposite of what they were like in the first half of the season. And in the PP..........less passing and more shots would be helpful.

Rangers True Blue

Aug 2, 2017
Oshawa Gens squeak out a win in game 2 after losing the first game to the Colts. Like them, Rangers and Erie now in a best of 5. Rangers MUST win one of two in Otterland.

All the Answers

Jan 19, 2020
Saw the whole game and Rangers passes were atrocious - the exact opposite of what they were like in the first half of the season. And in the PP..........less passing and more shots would be helpful.
Erie's goalie was found on wish.com. He's not OHL calibre. Kitchener simply needs shots and traffic to bang in the rebounds he certainly will give up. Unfortunately our soft pretty boys want to pass it into the net. Not looking like it's going to work against the Otters, DEFINITELY won't work if we squeak by them and get the Knights.

Reactions: bobber

digicamo

Mar 31, 2023
Hopefully the Rangers aren't looking for gentlemen in the next draft. If Rangers can't get Manny Malholtra's son then big dman 6'2" physical Jacob Xu is my first pick. Picture of him in a Ranger uni in the draft thread someone doctored up for me.😉
There is definitely interest in Xu from our side. He and his mom sat next to us at the Flint game a few weeks back.

I was impressed with Malhotra’s game at the OHL cup but it seemed like he was leaning NCAA from that recent article and MM can’t afford another swing and miss the way you guys talk about him on here lol

JRHockeyBUZZZ

Mar 28, 2024
Rangers @ Otters from the EIA in what is my game of the night prediction.

So far this series has been fairly back in forth with the Rangers taking game 1 on the back of a 3 point night (2 goals) from Luke Elinas. Game 1 saw the otters go down 2 goals three different times before finally the Rangers put the game to bed late in the third. Parsons was solid in Game 1 turning aside 26/29. Fraser was 27/32 in his OHL post Season debut & 2nd ever playoff jr appearance (4 games with Trenton 22-23)..
Game 2 saw the Otters trailing 2-0 less than 5 minutes into the game. Pano Fimis got the Otters on the board Before Spence tied it up early in the 2nd period.Sam Alfono got his first of the game to give the Otters their first lead of the series . Rhekopf got the equalizer with just under 2 remaining in the 2nd. The late goal did not seem to effect the team as Terrance came out and scored just over one minute in. Sop would answer before Alfano and the Otters struck again and Erie added 2 more. (Smith, Edwards) to tie the series 1-1.

I highly suspect this game to follow the other 2. With a back and forth feel. I feel like this game may shape up a touch bit more defensively with the teams trying to limit the trading goals back & forth.

I would look for a big game from both Parsons & Fraser who to this point have both been okay. Hoping the EIA is rocking tonight to give a good atmosphere to both teams & to create the big game feel it deserves.

I am thinking Erie jumps out and grabs this one final score 4-2

Good Luck to both teams and Fans!

Hope this series continues to be a fun one!

Krangers08

Sep 11, 2023
Erie has their full lineup including Gaudreau who hasn’t played in 8 weeks.
Feels like tonight is the night Misaljevic breaks his slump, hasn’t scored in 15 games.

Reactions: Rangers True Blue

rangersblues

Mar 21, 2010
There is definitely interest in Xu from our side. He and his mom sat next to us at the Flint game a few weeks back.

I was impressed with Malhotra’s game at the OHL cup but it seemed like he was leaning NCAA from that recent article and MM can’t afford another swing and miss the way you guys talk about him on here lol
You had me at MM can't afford another swing and miss😁. Especially if they're bidding to host the Memorial Cup.

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
It's been that long? Yeah he is due!
He’s had a bad second half.

Can’t remember right now but who were his line mates in the first half? Weren’t he and Sop together on line two with Rehkopf and Mesar on line one?

Maybe revisit that?

Sale. Rehkopf. Mesar.
Ellinas. Sop. Miseljevic.
Stark. Romano. Lam.
Bottineau. Mercer. Pugliese.

Just throwing it out there for discussion.

Reactions: rangersblues

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
He’s had a bad second half.

Can’t remember right now but who were his line mates in the first half? Weren’t he and Sop together on line two with Rehkopf and Mesar on line one?

Maybe revisit that?

Sale. Rehkopf. Mesar.
Ellinas. Sop. Miseljevic.
Stark. Romano. Lam.
Bottineau. Mercer. Pugliese.

Just throwing it out there for discussion.
I don't remember either, i do believe Sop was one of them though.

We need Misaljevic to step up, plain and simple. Getting some secondary scoring is going to be key to winning this series, especially these next 2 games as we await for Swick to come back form suspension.

Krangers08

Sep 11, 2023
First 3 round flyers since 2017

Hit
Vukojevic
Sebrango
Schmidt
Rehkopf
Stark
Lam

Miss
Hage
Longacre

Should keep eyes on Brampton’s, Brantford, and Oshawa’s first round picks 😉
*Xu will likely be the first defender off the board

Last edited:
Reactions: rangersblues

rangersblues

Mar 21, 2010
I don't remember either, i do believe Sop was one of them though.

We need Misaljevic to step up, plain and simple. Getting some secondary scoring is going to be key to winning this series, especially these next 2 games as we await for Swick to come back form suspension.
I'm pretty sure it was Rehkopf, Swick and Misaljevic at the beginning.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad