OT: Kubalik Speech - Czech to English translation?

Ricelund

̶W̶e̶ ̶l̶i̶k̶e̶ ̶o̶u̶r̶ ̶t̶e̶a̶m̶
Apr 16, 2006
New York, NY
Any Czech speakers on our board? Would any of you mind translating Kubalik’s speech in this video at 27m30s? I believe he starts talking about Detroit specifically around the 29m mark in the video.

Thanks!

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Rough translation via @ShanahanMan

Okay I just got it translated. Apparently Kubalik was moreso dragging on Detroit proper, not the entire metro area:

At the end of the interview she was asking him about the difference between Detroit and Chicago fans, he said that Detroit fans scare him a bit more. Then (roughly translated):

Moderator: I've heard you're not really okay with Detroit.

Kubalik: I am okay.

M: I mean, with the club sure, but you didn't really get attached to the city.

K: Well, it's not very likable overall, there aren't many people anyway, so, the guys also know it's not really great there. So we mostly go there just to play matches. Otherwise we were there twice... was nice [[with a tone hinting that it really isn't great, just... nicell. We live 25 km away from there, so... yeah, fine.

M: So what should I visit in Detroit if I happened to be there?

K: Well there's a nice shopping mall...

But certainly if anyone can confirm this, that would be helpful.

Reactions: Ricelund

Detroit Knights

Feb 29, 2012
Rough translation via @ShanahanMan

But certainly if anyone can confirm this, that would be helpful.
If that is how he reacted, then I wouldn't fully blame him. I would actually blame the leadership group including larkin.

That just means that they didn't hang out much (or kubalik didn't I suppose) and no one did a real tour. I suppose they meant literally just downtown, but we all know michigan in general has great areas for vacation/living. Larkin and the other leaders of the team/organization should do a better job at educating the players on the good stuff about detroit to try and outweigh the bad. This way stupid interviews like this don't get leaked around everywhere and other players just get a confirmation on how bad the city is.

If more players had more positive things to say about downtown detroit and how it is trying to get better and IS better than it was 10-15 years ago, then more players would have an open mind on signing here. Then you sell them on the great suburbs and vacation spots throughout Michigan to actually sell the area.

Reactions: SoupNazi

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
If that is how he reacted, then I wouldn't fully blame him. I would actually blame the leadership group including larkin.

That just means that they didn't hang out much (or kubalik didn't I suppose) and no one did a real tour. I suppose they meant literally just downtown, but we all know michigan in general has great areas for vacation/living. Larkin and the other leaders of the team/organization should do a better job at educating the players on the good stuff about detroit to try and outweigh the bad. This way stupid interviews like this don't get leaked around everywhere and other players just get a confirmation on how bad the city is.

If more players had more positive things to say about downtown detroit and how it is trying to get better and IS better than it was 10-15 years ago, then more players would have an open mind on signing here. Then you sell them on the great suburbs and vacation spots throughout Michigan to actually sell the area.

I think this is very likely more one of those things that are a lost in translation type of thing due to language. None of the rich athletes in Detroit are spending time in the dumpy parts that Detroit is known for. They all live in great neighbourhoods. Dumpy Detroit doesn't apply to rich people.

better Red than Dead

Apr 23, 2021
Having been to Ottawa alot for work its easily one of the nicest cities in the league... clean and safe...

It's not south beach but only one place actually is
I went there all the time as well for work, it’s nothing, very generic city. So if he didn’t like the population in Detroit I doubt he’s going to enjoy Ottawa

DatsDeking

Jun 25, 2013
I don’t think Detroit is as bad as the reputation it gets. My only gripe was that the city felt empty most of the weekend until early afternoon. That and the park area across from the Atlas statue was pretty dumpy.

But I agree with everyone else here. The players aren’t living in the City. I wonder if the Chicago or LA players live in their cities.

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
Having been to Ottawa alot for work its easily one of the nicest cities in the league... clean and safe...

I went to Carleton and basically from October-April is anywhere from not great/ cold to downright bleak and miserable. The city is generally a nice and cool place overall but I don't envy these guys and I've only moved back to the GTA which is like a 4 hour drive west lmao. The seasonal depression was very real for me being there.

Summers in Ottawa kick ass, though. But I can't imagine Kubalik will be summering there...

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
I have so many great memories in Detroit… as a child, a young adult, and as a “mature” adult when I go back to visit. None of the haters can take that away from me :laugh:

I don’t think Detroit is as bad as the reputation it gets. My only gripe was that the city felt empty most of the weekend until early afternoon. That and the park area across from the Atlas statue was pretty dumpy.

But I agree with everyone else here. The players aren’t living in the City. I wonder if the Chicago or LA players live in their cities.
A lot of Blackhawks have lived in the city. Couldn't tell you the %, but I've known of several (like, almost all the single guys from what I can tell).

Reactions: BSHH and SoupNazi

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland

Think it's not about living in the city. But it would be nice players to visit on the downtown they live nearby on some better cities.

Larkin and the other leaders of the team/organization should do a better job at educating the players on the good stuff about detroit to try and outweigh the bad. This way stupid interviews like this don't get leaked around everywhere and other players just get a confirmation on how bad the city is.

Now when they have all Larkin, DeBrincat, Compher, Copp, they should start experimenting this. Just over a year ago, it was only Larkin, that kind of extra was too much for just him.

Last edited:

Hockey Know it all

Mar 10, 2019
Having lived in Oakland county for the better part of 27 of my 30 years. While Detroit isn’t the most fancy city compared to some others, it does get a bad rap.

Not sure if the story is properly translated but Kubalik had time to visit Birmingham, west Bloomfield, orchard lake, st Clair shores, auburn hills, Rochester, Novi, Commerce etc. most pro athletes usually do not live in the city they play in, they live in the border cities.

Like a couple other users have said, Michigan does have a great communities, especially in Oakland county and great spots to buy a house/retire in.

IF translated properly, then Kubalik is wrong.

Detroit Knights

Feb 29, 2012
Now when they have all Larkin, DeBrincat, Compher, Copp, they should start experimenting this. Just over a year ago, it was only Larkin, that kind of extra was too much for just him.
I agree. You now have 4 players that either grew up there or played significant hockey for a period of time there to be able to show it to the new people coming in: sprong/kostin/etc.

No, sprong and kostin are not going to be game changers when it comes to getting free agents to sign here, but word of mouth among hockey players is very significant. Suter/Parise.....Larkin and debrincat spending time together the past few summers I believe....the hughes brother on NJD training in michigan during the summer.

When you have players come here to train in the summer, they already know there are great parts, but when you have the actual team players (especially free agents) saying stuff publicly, it goes a lot farther. The reporters should also do a better job by asking the players what they think of the city in their press conferences or like after a game they win at home what do they plan on doing or what their favorite restaurant is.

It's all marketing and PR and the wings are terrible at it. Their social is getting better in some areas by driving engagement with locals, but if you can get reporters/beat writers/national writers like friedman/seravelli/mckenzie to ask the players about the city, the players then need to be trained to bring up all the positives as much as possible. That's how you get the big name free agents. IMO of course

SuperScript29

Nov 17, 2017
I currently live in Chicago, but I come to Detroit often since I have a lot of family there. Generally speaking, it's actually a nice city with its shady parts. Though I usually stick to the northern suburbs when I visit, so places like Sterling Heights, Troy, Shelby Township, etc, not so much the city itself.

To be honest, the way people talk about Detroit is absurd. What they're talking about is actually what Gary Indiana looks like, not Detroit.

Detroit Knights

Feb 29, 2012
I currently live in Chicago, but I come to Detroit often since I have a lot of family there. Generally speaking, it's actually a nice city with its shady parts. Though I usually stick to the northern suburbs when I visit, so places like Sterling Heights, Troy, Shelby Township, etc, not so much the city itself.

To be honest, the way people talk about Detroit is absurd. What they're talking about is actually what Gary Indiana looks like, not Detroit.
It's because of the past. I wouldn't be caught dead in downtown detroit 15 years ago. screw that noise...

but they are trying a lot more it seems. Of course there are bad parts like every other city in the US, but before, detroit had a very bad side and an even worse side. There were no good sides at all lol. People just need to open their eyes more and not go somewhere with preconceived notions from other people's experiences. This is why I don't really read restaurant or movie reviews before I go there. The people with bad experiences are the ones who speak up about it the most. The people with great experiences keep coming back, but they never talk about it.

That's why I keep bringing up that the players/team/marketing/pr departments need to talk about it more. We aren't the 90's or early 2000's red wings anymore. People are going to come here because we are perennial playoff contenders. We will get there soon with how Yzerman is building the team, but for now, we have to sell the city and the team to get players. Debrincat helps this cause because he has said in multiple interviews since the trade how he loves it in Michigan, spends all his off time there, great family town, etc. Need to keep it going.

pz29

Jun 18, 2015

Are you referring to South Beach, as in Miami? Couldn´t pay me enough to live there, or in the rest of Florida for that matter. Lived there twice over 13 years, for family reasons. Never again.

SuperScript29

Nov 17, 2017
It's because of the past. I wouldn't be caught dead in downtown detroit 15 years ago. screw that noise...

but they are trying a lot more it seems. Of course there are bad parts like every other city in the US, but before, detroit had a very bad side and an even worse side. There were no good sides at all lol. People just need to open their eyes more and not go somewhere with preconceived notions from other people's experiences. This is why I don't really read restaurant or movie reviews before I go there. The people with bad experiences are the ones who speak up about it the most. The people with great experiences keep coming back, but they never talk about it.

That's why I keep bringing up that the players/team/marketing/pr departments need to talk about it more. We aren't the 90's or early 2000's red wings anymore. People are going to come here because we are perennial playoff contenders. We will get there soon with how Yzerman is building the team, but for now, we have to sell the city and the team to get players. Debrincat helps this cause because he has said in multiple interviews since the trade how he loves it in Michigan, spends all his off time there, great family town, etc. Need to keep it going.

Even if we go back to the 90s or early 2000s, it's not like hockey players took strolls around 7 or 8 mile rd. Most probably lived in places like West Bloomfield Hills and just drove to the city when they needed to play/practice. I feel like this applies to most American cities, that is the athletes generally living in nice neighborhoods.

Detroit Knights

Feb 29, 2012
Even if we go back to the 90s or early 2000s, it's not like hockey players took strolls around 7 or 8 mile rd. Most probably lived in places like West Bloomfield Hills and just drove to the city when they needed to play/practice. I feel like this applies to most American cities, that is the athletes generally living in nice neighborhoods.
Absolutely, but back then there was only one reason to come to detroit. It was to win and you always had a chance to do that.

Now, not so much. That's why selling how the city is doing better than the preconceived ideas is important. You start doing that, you start getting better players wanting to come here. Better players coming here then means we start playing much better. Start playing much better then people will start taking discounts to play here because they want to win. People start taking discounts and now all of a sudden, we can start picking and choosing who we bring, rather than sending contract papers out and hope for a signed return.

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
I was caught alive there many times around 15 years ago :laugh:. Lots of good times, especially at places like Nemo's, The Old Shillelagh, and Motor City Brewing. I partly remember one of my birthdays. There was lots of pitchers of beer, a blow-up doll, and me cursing about a bunch of overrated Wings prospects I think.

I don't know what ya'll are scared of. I was never once mugged or shot at. In my experience, it's been 100% safe!

Detroit Knights

Feb 29, 2012
I was caught alive there many times around 15 years ago :laugh:. Lots of good times, especially at places like Nemo's, The Old Shillelagh, and Motor City Brewing. I partly remember one of my birthdays. There was lots of pitchers of beer, a blow-up doll, and me cursing about a bunch of overrated Wings prospects I think.

I don't know what ya'll are scared of. I was never once mugged or shot at. In my experience, it's been 100% safe!
I was stabbed 3 times when walking down there. Hence why I don't go again unless emergency situation.

Not so much scared, just smarter? lol

• Wow
Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad