La Liga 2022-23

Corto

Faceless Man
Sep 28, 2005
Braavos

This is before the actual game. Even the pathetic "he brings it on himself" racist apologist will have to do some serious mental gymnastics to explain how people throwing racist abuse at Vini when he's stepping off a bus is somehow his own fault.

During the match itself, obviously, there was simply no other way for the Valencia fans to respond to this awful man, but by the entire stand chanting "mono" at him.

Vasilevskiy

The cat will be back
Dec 30, 2008
Barcelona

This is before the actual game. Even the pathetic "he brings it on himself" racist apologist will have to do some serious mental gymnastics to explain how people throwing racist abuse at Vini when he's stepping off a bus is somehow his own fault.

During the match itself, obviously, there was simply no other way for the Valencia fans to respond to this awful man, but by the entire stand chanting "mono" at him.

They clearly say "tonto" in the 2nd video which means silly/fool.

Corto

Faceless Man
Sep 28, 2005
Braavos
They clearly say "tonto" in the 2nd video which means silly/fool.
Oh well, that's alright then.
We'll just excuse them chanting "mono" before and during the game because they also happened to throw in some "tonto" in there.

Can you also "tonto" this one then?

Vasilevskiy

The cat will be back
Dec 30, 2008
Barcelona
We'll just excuse them chanting "mono" before and during the game because they also happened to throw in some "tonto" in there.

All I did was correct the 2nd tweet as they were calling him fool in that video. That's all. I'm not saying Valencia fans were not racist or didn't call him thing before or during the game. Just in that video in particular.

Also, Courtouis is right, usually behind the goalies net are the more radical fans, and I'm sure he has heard a lot of insane stuff during the years.

Last edited:
Reactions: Duchene2MacKinnon

Vasilevskiy

The cat will be back
Dec 30, 2008
Barcelona
There is not much respect from La Liga fans (in general) to players, regardless of their skin color. Messi was called for years a PDE midget, sergio ramos dumb, etc. Basically anyone that makes a fanbase riled up is going to get called things.

I've read a lot of very nasty stuff about Marchand in these boards. I am not surprised that Vini becoming the Marchand of La Liga is getting shit from fans. Unless Tebas wants to go into some no fans bans in stadiums I don't see how this is going to stop. And even then he will still be abused online.

Corto

Faceless Man
Sep 28, 2005
Braavos
There is not much respect from La Liga fans (in general) to players, regardless of their skin color. Messi was called for years a PDE midget, sergio ramos dumb, etc. Basically anyone that makes a fanbase riled up is going to get called things.
Calling a player dumb or hurling racist abuse at them are two entirely separate issues.

One is "football banter", theater, culture... Whatever. Players have always lived with it.
It's not nice or respectful, but it is what it is...

Half the stadium chanting racist abuse though - that's something else.

TheShape

Oct 25, 2018
sh*thole league top to bottom, no surprise here. Club and teammates aren't blameless in this either as they haven't shown enough support for Vini or push back.

Vini needs to leave for his own good at this point, nobody would blame him.

Reactions: Power Man

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
I mean Eto’o was racially abused a decade and a half ago. Almost left the pitch mid game. How anyone thinks la liga/Spain is above racism is just ignorant. The Spanish coach had a racist tired before the World Cup a few years ago IIRC… racism is everywhere, unfortunately you can’t hide from it. Hell subban was racially abused in Boston.

Tony Romo

Sep 25, 2011
I mean Eto’o was racially abused a decade and a half ago. Almost left the pitch mid game. How anyone thinks la liga/Spain is above racism is just ignorant. The Spanish coach had a racist tired before the World Cup a few years ago IIRC… racism is everywhere, unfortunately you can’t hide from it. Hell subban was racially abused in Boston.
It happened to Dani Alves as well, no? Think I remember someone throwing a banana at him.

PeteWorrell

[...]
Aug 31, 2006
Football fans in Europe are full of racists. You see it in the Premier League, La Liga, Serie A... It's not even limited to skin colour as Fiorentina ultras made death threats and called Vlahovic a gypsy when he was sold to Juventus.

Some people will forever remain insecure and uneducated and try to diminish successful people in any way they can.

Reactions: Vasilevskiy

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
It happened to Dani Alves as well, no? Think I remember someone throwing a banana at him.
Yup took a bite out of it, and set up two goals. Then went online and boasted about how it gave him energy. No one blamed Dani for inciting racism. The guy everyone is responding to is openly and a proud racist so it’s of no surprise. He has his head so far up his ass one meal is two meals.

Vasilevskiy

The cat will be back
Dec 30, 2008
Barcelona
Yes and he ate it lol. As D2M mentioned Eto'o almost left a game because of this. Neymar also got racial insults a few times. It's a hard problem to solve.
Valencia has banned for life all people caught in camera saying racial stuff. At least that's what they say.

Reactions: Duchene2MacKinnon

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006

I always get a kick out of these sort of statements. None of it makes any sense. La liga is an entity, it has no feelings, emotions nor desires. La liga isn’t racist is a fact because it’s incapable lol. Spain is a country which falls in the same category. There are some racists and many non ones but what a stupid comment by a stupid person.

Reactions: PeteWorrell

PeteWorrell

[...]
Aug 31, 2006

I always get a kick out of these sort of statements. None of it makes any sense. La liga is an entity, it has no feelings, emotions nor desires. La liga isn’t racist is a fact because it’s incapable lol. Spain is a country which falls in the same category. There are some racists and many non ones but what a stupid comment by a stupid person.

Tebas is an incompetent moron that is in way over his head. It's not a coincidence that La Liga is weaker than ever with this clown in charge.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
No place for that shit. If he was indeed racially abused a VALENCIA player/official should also stand up.

I would even go a step further and say that other clubs and players should be speaking out. I know it might come off a certain way if say Barca spoke out, but I wish they would. Hopefully players around the league are at the very least privately reaching out to Vinicius Jr with words of support.

He didn’t remotely say it’s alright nor did excuse anything else.

Yeah, and he was clearly criticized on this very forum for it which was ridiculous.

They need to band together and get this moron out. What a stupid response to the situation (and whatever Valencia official response I saw wasn’t good either). He should be focused on changing the response protocol to such a situation. What exactly that is, I can’t say exactly without giving it more thought myself, but abandoning a match, awarding points, levying fines and enforcing empty stadiums should all be considered.

Another poster (also seemingly in Spain, what a coincidence) trying to downplay Spain and La Liga shitting its pants. Just like Tebas did. Pathetic.

Comparing it to Brad Marchand and fans calling Sergio Ramos dumb is downplaying it, whether the poster intends to or not.

Get the f*** outta here with your hyperbolic shit. He’s not trying to downplay it.

Vasilevskiy

The cat will be back
Dec 30, 2008
Barcelona
I would add that Valencia have a pretty large set of Ultras from what I understand. That’s not to say it’s excusable, it’s not, but just to be informative. I was going to go to the Mestalla to see Barca back in the day and was warned about displaying any sort of affection for my team.
Madrid has placed complaints against Mallorca, Betis, Osasuna, Atletico, Barça and Valencia (of the top of my head). Unfortunately it is more common than it's shown on TV.

@Corto says that teams start abandoning games but you have to prove that someone actually said such things and often times it's a couple idiots on the stands and not the whole stadium, much harder to get proof (and you will need it if the other team is to drop the points). Same for banning home stadiums. There's a lot of money involved. It might not be rocket science but it is not as simple as it seems.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Start abandoning games and awarding the points to the team that was racially abused.
Make the offending team play 5 or 10 games with no fans, hurting both their wallet and their home ground advantage.

It's not rocket science. There are ways to combat this.
Yeah that's never going to happen. Its unrealistic to expect it. The most is singling out the fans that do this and banning them. This to me is the only realistic move and it would in theory help.

abandoning games cost money and one thing I can guarantee is that they will never do anything that hurst their pocket. Points deduction isnt realistic either what stops other idiots from masquerading as fans of rival teams to do this?

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
Madrid has placed complaints against Mallorca, Betis, Osasuna, Atletico, Barça and Valencia (of the top of my head). Unfortunately it is more common than it's shown on TV.

@Corto says that teams start abandoning games but you have to prove that someone actually said such things and often times it's a couple idiots on the stands and not the whole stadium, much harder to get proof (and you will need it if the other team is to drop the points). Same for banning home stadiums. There's a lot of money involved. It might not be rocket science but it is not as simple as it seems.

Madrid filing complaints is one thing considering their ultras, but I‘d have to see each case individually (apart from probably the Atleti case). However, this case is very cut and dry.

I don’t think proving what was coming out of the stands is hard in this instance. I agree, it’s not simple, but it’s also serious and should be taken as such. Hit ‘em all (clubs, supporters, players, whomever) where it hurts and hopefully the situation changes. If you take these steps, expect Valencia to get on board and get on the right side of the situation.

Yeah that's never going to happen. Its unrealistic to expect it. The most is singling out the fans that do this and banning them. This to me is the only realistic move and it would in theory help.

abandoning games cost money and one thing I can guarantee is that they will never do anything that hurst their pocket. Points deduction isnt realistic either what stops other idiots from masquerading as fans of rival teams to do this?

It may seem unrealistic, but many of the best ideas in history were considered unrealistic at some point. And watch Valencia supporters get in line when Madrid abandon the match and get awarded 3 points in the process.

Reactions: Scandale du Jour

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Again what is stopping an idiot fan from a rival team buying a ticket dressing in his rival's team kit and chanting slurs to hurt the team?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad