LD Sam Dickinson - London Knights, OHL (2024 Draft)

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
London just shut down Sagina's offense.

That kid won't last long on draft day. I'd not bat an eye if he ends up becoming the most impactful player in that draft when it is all said and done.

Those big, mobile, minute munching Ds are the guys that win you championships in the end.

I would certainly bat an eye at that. There are so many good D in this draft, you figure one or two will become star #1D.

Dickinson is one of the prospects we can be most confident in but I don't see high end offensive ability for him to be a star #1D.

ZYXWVUT

Feb 26, 2024
I think at the very least he becomes what you are seeing in Thomas Harley right now for Dallas. I can see some similarities in style. And I’ll put extra emphasis on, ‘at the very least’.

MNRube

Oct 20, 2013
I think at the very least he becomes what you are seeing in Thomas Harley right now for Dallas. I can see some similarities in style. And I’ll put extra emphasis on, ‘at the very least’.
Big fan of SD, but if his true floor was Harley, he’s a lock for Top 3 in this draft

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
I feel like if Dickinson played in a chaotic system like Parekh, was depended on to be The leading scorer on his NCAA team like Levshunov, or played for a terrible team with nothing around him like Yakemchuk, he would not be this highly regarded. If London didn’t have so much talent and structure, I think Dickinson would not be seen the same.

I totally see the tools—the size, skating, and shot are all phenomenal—but drop him into any of the situations of the three other guys I mentioned and I don’t think the perception of Dickinson is the same. I think people would question his decision-making and defense more. Dickinson is hardly relied on to handle the puck almost at all in London and he plays behind Bonk and George on defense.

I believe in Dickinson in the top-8 of this draft but I really don’t see where people are getting future top pairing defenseman from.

Habs7631

Feb 28, 2017
I feel like if Dickinson played in a chaotic system like Parekh, was depended on to be The leading scorer on his NCAA team like Levshunov, or played for a terrible team with nothing around him like Yakemchuk, he would not be this highly regarded. If London didn’t have so much talent and structure, I think Dickinson would not be seen the same.

I totally see the tools—the size, skating, and shot are all phenomenal—but drop him into any of the situations of the three other guys I mentioned and I don’t think the perception of Dickinson is the same. I think people would question his decision-making and defense more. Dickinson is hardly relied on to handle the puck almost at all in London and he plays behind Bonk and George on defense.

I believe in Dickinson in the top-8 of this draft but I really don’t see where people are getting future top pairing defenseman from.

Bro stop trying to derail the Dickinson hype train, we Habs fan desperately need him to go top 4 so one of Demidov/Lindstrom falls to us.

1716867106219.gif

Everybody else, we’re back with the regular schedule. Dickinson is a GUARANTEE franchise D. Stanley Cup winning team #1. Future Captain. He’s the next Miro Heiskanen. No weakness at all in his game. You don’t wanna miss out on him.

• Haha
Reactions: Spearmint Rhino

Dead Coyote

Oct 10, 2017

He doesn't play behind Bonk and George. He plays behind Bonk and about the same as George. They both (Bonk and Dickinson) play on the 1st PK and he is relied on heavily in London. Yes, he does play in a structured system and yes they are a very talented team. Team play has some, but not a lot to do with defensive play and tools. London is a defense first team, especially with their D, and Dickinson is expected to play defense. We saw it last year where as a 16yo his point totals weren't very good but he still played a lot of games. That doesn't happen with the Hunters very often. It speaks to the fact that Dickinson is relied on and trusted by the Hunters and has almost never been a liability, he almost never makes mistakes in general. His decision making isn't amazing by any means but he's willing and able to get the puck out and is solid at exiting the zone, and his defense is exceptional. He handles players on the rush well. He handles forechecks well. His stick work is great. He's able to separate players from the puck with his body. He's able to keep players to the outside. He also isn't playing with Bonk or George most of the time, London frequently runs Bonk/George and Bonk/Dickinson, but George and Dickinson both split a lot of time with Edward, who is exceptionally bad sometimes and prone to frequent mishandlings and giveaways of the puck.

In all honesty, my biased homer take is that there isn't a better defensive defenceman in the draft (and even then I don't feel like that's all that much of a homer take). The question with Dickinson has always been his offense. And you know, in a more chaotic system, in a less structured system, where he is relied on to put up points, he probably would put up a bunch! His shot is great, his passing is pretty good, and if he was getting all of the PP time he'd have a lot more points. As it is London pretty often runs a 4th forward on the 1st PP and it's usually Bonk being the defenseman. But like you said yourself, all of his tools are exceptional. And no, he doesn't make the flashy play to go through 4 guys like Parekh does. But he also doesn't make the mistakes of Parekh or anyone else either. The reason you're seeing put him higher is because his role on London isn't as much as someone like Parekh, but he still stands out both defensively and offensively, and is arguably the best defenseman on that team, despite being a year younger with less opportunity. His skills are extremely projectable and whether or not he becomes elite offensively, you know you're going to get a guy who is going to be a mainstay in the NHL for a long time.

He could absolutely be a #1D. If he improves, gets a little better at skating and scoring off the rush, and gets more opportunities, he could easily hit 40pt seasons in the NHL I think, and maybe tops out at 50-60. That's not elite like Makar or Fox, but for someone who can handle opposing forwards, play in all situations, munch minutes, and be a rock and anchor on the back end, it's pretty damn great.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
He doesn't play behind Bonk and George. He plays behind Bonk and about the same as George. They both (Bonk and Dickinson) play on the 1st PK and he is relied on heavily in London. Yes, he does play in a structured system and yes they are a very talented team. Team play has some, but not a lot to do with defensive play and tools. London is a defense first team, especially with their D, and Dickinson is expected to play defense. We saw it last year where as a 16yo his point totals weren't very good but he still played a lot of games. That doesn't happen with the Hunters very often. It speaks to the fact that Dickinson is relied on and trusted by the Hunters and has almost never been a liability, he almost never makes mistakes in general. His decision making isn't amazing by any means but he's willing and able to get the puck out and is solid at exiting the zone, and his defense is exceptional. He handles players on the rush well. He handles forechecks well. His stick work is great. He's able to separate players from the puck with his body. He's able to keep players to the outside. He also isn't playing with Bonk or George most of the time, London frequently runs Bonk/George and Bonk/Dickinson, but George and Dickinson both split a lot of time with Edward, who is exceptionally bad sometimes and prone to frequent mishandlings and giveaways of the puck.

In all honesty, my biased homer take is that there isn't a better defensive defenceman in the draft (and even then I don't feel like that's all that much of a homer take). The question with Dickinson has always been his offense. And you know, in a more chaotic system, in a less structured system, where he is relied on to put up points, he probably would put up a bunch! His shot is great, his passing is pretty good, and if he was getting all of the PP time he'd have a lot more points. As it is London pretty often runs a 4th forward on the 1st PP and it's usually Bonk being the defenseman. But like you said yourself, all of his tools are exceptional. And no, he doesn't make the flashy play to go through 4 guys like Parekh does. But he also doesn't make the mistakes of Parekh or anyone else either. The reason you're seeing put him higher is because his role on London isn't as much as someone like Parekh, but he still stands out both defensively and offensively, and is arguably the best defenseman on that team, despite being a year younger with less opportunity. His skills are extremely projectable and whether or not he becomes elite offensively, you know you're going to get a guy who is going to be a mainstay in the NHL for a long time.

He could absolutely be a #1D. If he improves, gets a little better at skating and scoring off the rush, and gets more opportunities, he could easily hit 40pt seasons in the NHL I think, and maybe tops out at 50-60. That's not elite like Makar or Fox, but for someone who can handle opposing forwards, play in all situations, munch minutes, and be a rock and anchor on the back end, it's pretty damn great.
I’m not trying to say that Parekh/Levshunov/Yakemchuk are better defensively than Dickinson by any means or discount the fact that Dickinson earns his minutes. I just mean that Dickinson’s defensive acumen and decision-making is not under a microscope because he plays in such a strong, structured system. He is very good, and I’m definitely not saying he is a product of the system. I just mean that because London is hardly ever scrambling and the forwards are usually in position, Dickinson doesn’t have to do much thinking to look good defensively.

Contrast how people see Sam with how the Spirit gave up three goals in a couple minutes to Moose Jaw the other day. Every single Saginaw player was running around like a chicken with its head cut off and somehow everyone came to the conclusion that Parekh was at fault, even though he really didn’t have much to do with the specific plays that lead to the goals against.

I guess my point is that I have watched a lot of Knights games this year (not only to scout Dickinson because it was looking like he’d be in the Sharks’ range for most of the year but also to keep up with Halttunen) and I never once came away with the thought that the Knights really depend on Dickinson to succeed. That’s sort of why my feelings about him are that he’s basically a guaranteed plug-n-play fifteen year #3D. Other than his excellent shot (maybe the best amongst defensemen in the draft, with Yakemchuk), I feel like he really embodies the “Jack of all trades” archetype. Good defensively, good offensively, but doesn’t do anything at a top pairing level. If you’re a defenseman putting up only 40 points in today’s NHL, you have to be literally elite defensively to be a true #1D. Defensemen these days score much more than they used to because a lot more offense is channeled through the point, so they get a lot more puck touches. Consequently, most top pairing defensemen can easily get 40 points if they play enough minutes. I don’t see elite defensive potential from Dickinson, because I don’t see high-end individual defensive stops from him.

Just my opinion, of course. Like I said, a guy whom I think is a guaranteed #3D with his size/skating/shot package is easily worth a top-10 pick in this draft and I’d probably take him around 7th. I just don’t feel like I’ve seen anything truly special from him this year.

Dead Coyote

Oct 10, 2017
I’m not trying to say that Parekh/Levshunov/Yakemchuk are better defensively than Dickinson by any means or discount the fact that Dickinson earns his minutes. I just mean that Dickinson’s defensive acumen and decision-making is not under a microscope because he plays in such a strong, structured system. He is very good, and I’m definitely not saying he is a product of the system. I just mean that because London is hardly ever scrambling and the forwards are usually in position, Dickinson doesn’t have to do much thinking to look good defensively.

Contrast how people see Sam with how the Spirit gave up three goals in a couple minutes to Moose Jaw the other day. Every single Saginaw player was running around like a chicken with its head cut off and somehow everyone came to the conclusion that Parekh was at fault, even though he really didn’t have much to do with the specific plays that lead to the goals against.

I guess my point is that I have watched a lot of Knights games this year (not only to scout Dickinson because it was looking like he’d be in the Sharks’ range for most of the year but also to keep up with Halttunen) and I never once came away with the thought that the Knights really depend on Dickinson to succeed. That’s sort of why my feelings about him are that he’s basically a guaranteed plug-n-play fifteen year #3D. Other than his excellent shot (maybe the best amongst defensemen in the draft, with Yakemchuk), I feel like he really embodies the “Jack of all trades” archetype. Good defensively, good offensively, but doesn’t do anything at a top pairing level. If you’re a defenseman putting up only 40 points in today’s NHL, you have to be literally elite defensively to be a true #1D. Defensemen these days score much more than they used to because a lot more offense is channeled through the point, so they get a lot more puck touches. Consequently, most top pairing defensemen can easily get 40 points if they play enough minutes. I don’t see elite defensive potential from Dickinson, because I don’t see high-end individual defensive stops from him.

Just my opinion, of course. Like I said, a guy whom I think is a guaranteed #3D with his size/skating/shot package is easily worth a top-10 pick in this draft and I’d probably take him around 7th. I just don’t feel like I’ve seen anything truly special from him this year.
His defense and shut down acumen is elite. Otherwise, I agree, although he has a good chance of putting up those points because of his shot. He plays very well on the point and a lot of points will come off the PP, like with every other d-man. Again, if he had more opportunity on the PP and was let loose more offensively he probably would score more. That isn't always an indication of projectability but he almost never tries to do much off the rush, and that's because he's the #1 defensive guy in London. He's the guy being put out in the last minutes and he's getting tons of ice time and playing with guys like Edward who are otherwise pretty much a black hole defensively. And honestly I don't think #1D need to be putting up 80 pts or elite offensively or defensively. I would argue a lot of #1D are neither, but they're still #1D. It means something different to be elite, and I think that's a much smaller group of players.

But I also very much think that Dickinson is elite at defending players off the rush, and defending against the forecheck and down low and clearing the zone. He has exceptional poise, is rarely taken out of position, and most offense dries up when a player can't get around him or gets pinned to the boards or separated from the puck which then allows him to either move the puck to a teammate or skate it out from behind the net and make an outlet pass. That's how a significant portion of rushes go against him- player gets kept to the outside, shot is prevented, skated into the boards, possession is taken and the puck is out.

He has the size and skating to do that in the NHL, and while it may not be flashy, if you can do that against top line forwards and the best in the league that's a pretty deal. I think DIckinson has that potential. I think that's something scouts and teams value a lot more than we do, so I can understand if he gets drafted in the top 5. He may very well be the first d-man off the board, he may not. But I do think that while I don't have him there myself, I could easily see a world in which he's drafted there. I mean Reinbacher went at 5 and wasn't nearly as projectable as Dickinson is and is arguably slightly worse defensively.

HawksDub89

Apr 17, 2019
I really like his game. He fits the mold of what the Hawks front office likes. But probably not at 2nd.

I think he could be a solid 2D. I don’t see enough offense to be a 1D.

Frankly I don’t think there’s a true 1D in this draft.

Favster

Jul 21, 2013
Montreal
I really like his game. He fits the mold of what the Hawks front office likes. But probably not at 2nd.

I think he could be a solid 2D. I don’t see enough offense to be a 1D.

Frankly I don’t think there’s a true 1D in this draft.
I think Buium will be the best Dman of this draft and I am quite confident of that. In a couple of years we'll be wondering how he wasn't the first defenseman drafted. Dickinson does look very good too.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad