Pre-Game Talk: Leafs @ Panthers - Game 3 - Sunday 6:30 pm EST

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
None of that other stuff matters, apparently. According to the post I quoted, absolutely nothing matters except goals. Tkachuk has none, so by the logic in that post, he's been useless. Maybe you should tell the person I responded to that more than that matters.

It matters unless you don't understand the concept of winning and losing.

Florida isn't looking for reasons why they lost because they're winning games and up 2-0 in the series.

However Thachuk has 4 assists on 7 Florida goals in the series and a big reason behind Panthers wins. He has more assists alone than all 4 of Leafs core 4 forwards combined do.

Leafs big and expensive guns are firing blanks in the series and that is the main reason Leafs are losing.

Last edited:

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
It matters unless you don't understand the concept of winning and losing.
I understand the concept of winning and losing perfectly. And I agree, of course all of the other stuff matters. That's the whole point. Your representation of our forwards was incomplete and your conclusion for the main reason we've lost was wrong.
Florida isn't looking for reasons why they lost because they're winning games and up 2-0 in the series.
No, they'd be looking at reasons why they won. And according to the goals are all that matter premise, Tkachuk had zero impact on that. Not sure many would agree.
However Thachuk has 4 assists
See, now assists suddenly matter.

Last edited:

All Mod Cons

Sep 7, 2018
We'll get a full summer of excuses from the usual suspects no doubt. But we're definitely going to win this one tomorrow. Guaranteed.

Racer88

Sep 29, 2020
We'll get a full summer of excuses from the usual suspects no doubt. But we're definitely going to win this one tomorrow. Guaranteed.
Yup. All the corsi’s , expected this and expected that’s XFGs and WMD’s and other such stats that the losing team uses to ease their pain will flow like water

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
Here is why Leafs are down 0-2 to Florida.

View attachment 703567

The consequences of spending 1/2 your Cap on only 4 forwards, and when the opposition holds them in check and off the scoreboard their odds of winning increases.

None of that other stuff matters, apparently. According to the post I quoted, absolutely nothing matters except goals. Tkachuk has none, so by the logic in that post, he's been useless. Maybe you should tell the person I responded to that more than that matters.
That's a pretty bad and incorrect description of what our core 4 have done, but you also seemed to have missed the point. If goals are all that matter, which is what the person I responded to argued, then Tkachuk would be considered useless this round. If you disagree with that, take it up with him.
The post you quoted and responded to did not include either of your bolded accusations.

I've included it for reference.

Racer88

Sep 29, 2020
No, they'd be looking at reasons why they won. And according to the goals are all that matter premise, Tkachuk had zero impact on that. Not sure many would agree.
Also, it's they're, not their.
They know the reasons why they are winning……they have a quality goalie and players that can man handle the opposition at will while we have the soft as butter, Matthews, Marner, Willy and Tavares.
As far as our net goes we have the joke that is Murray and Sammy who can be great at times and poor other times

Reactions: Leterman

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
They aren't scoring and aren't setting up anything at 5v5 so far this series and had terrible giveaways that lead to the goals against that cost us the game. Actually I think Matthews set up that Knies goal so he's the only 1 with a 5v5 point. Rest of our 5v5 offence is from the bottom 6. If they don't want to score goals, fine, but somebody has to score in the top 6 and those 4 make up 6 of them and make all the money.
Tkachuk .. 4 assists on 7 Florida goals .

Matthews, Marner, Tavares and Nylander combined = Zero Goals & 1 ES assist and 2 PP assists (on same goal) for 3 points total combined and 1/2 the teams salary cap.

Stanley Cup playoff lessons: Tkachuk the best all-around player this postseason?

Stanley Cup playoff lessons: Tkachuk the best all-around player this postseason?

Tkachuk is a star, a force, an MVP contender. He scores big goals and sets them up. Tkachuk is the current leader for the Conn Smythe Trophy, and for good reason.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cleetus and Racer88

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
The post you quoted and responded to did not include either of your bolded accusations.
I've included it for reference.
It was the premise of the post. Refer to your included reference.
They know the reasons why they are winning……they have a quality goalie and players that can man handle the opposition at will while we have the soft as butter, Matthews, Marner, Willy and Tavares.
They likely know that it's because of their goalie. You seem to have added on a second reason that isn't true.
As far as our net goes we have the joke that is Murray and Sammy who can be great at times and poor other times
Yeah, I'm sure Bobrovsky has never been poor.

baton elevated

One Man Gang
Jun 4, 2009

Matthews, Marner, Tavares and Nylander combined = Zero Goals & 1 ES assist and 2 PP assists (on same goal) for 3 points total combined and 1/2 the teams salary cap.

Tkachuk is a star, a force, an MVP contender. He scores big goals and sets them up. Tkachuk is the current leader for the Conn Smythe Trophy, and for good reason.
It feels like it's Dais' to win this year, he us unstoppable.

It feels like it's Dais' to win this year, he is unstoppable

3blizzard4

Mar 29, 2021
Toronto
If Florida gets the first goal or the first two goals I have no faith in this Leafs team to win this game. This is based on the past two games.

Once Florida clogs up the neutral zone, Keefe has no idea what to do .

Reactions: BayStBullies

Leafblooded

Jul 27, 2012
T.
If Florida gets the first goal or the first two goals I have no faith in this Leafs team to win this game. This is based on the past two games.

Once Florida clogs up the neutral zone, Keefe has no idea what to do .
This. Drop passes are going to kill this f***ing team

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Look to Edmonton. Elite players won the game, this is the test right here. Can they come back from despair? I think we can.

Go Leafs Go!

WillNy29

Jun 20, 2018
Did you see Kotkanemi throw a hit on Hischier last night? Someone who is not known to throw hits.
Arguably the best hit in playoffs so far if not top 3. Fast with another great hit

It's really on our top 4 to come through and dictate the play. If Nylander doesn't have the puck, he's invisible. Tavares can't get to a play, he's so slow. Matthews does his best to avoid being touched and Marner can only perform cute plays

Our top boys have to hit, send a message. Not Acciari, not Schenn. Both of those boys have gone above and beyond. They have played their part
lmao Matthews had like 13 hits in the last 4 games of the first series and has been throwing his body in this one too. Hell I'm disappointed with Marner this series and even he was throwing hits last night at least don't make things up...

Reactions: Kurtz

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
It's a must win and please win it in regular time.
It's frustrating watching other teams just blow out their opponents and we gotta fight tooth and nail every game, especially against a team we're capable of dropping 5-6 goals on.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
The Mark Masters Pierre Lebrun piece on TSN was showing Samsonov really in a foul
mood in practice today…

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
The Mark Masters Pierre Lebrun piece on TSN was showing Samsonov really in a foul
mood in practice today…
Better he lets out his frustration in practice and can hopefully channel it into "f*** you" energy tomorrow

Squiffy

Victims, rn't we all
Oct 21, 2006
Toronto

Tomorrow the narrative begins to change.. or we are toast.

kevsh

Nov 28, 2018
mood in practice today…

The Overdrive boys (mostly Hayes) were getting all worked up because Samsonov was yelling curse words after game 2 and Keefe had steam coming from his ears.

I don't get it? We should be thankful that some of these guys are angry, it shows they care. I'd be even more happy if AM, Reilly and Johnny T also were also scowling and snapping at reporters after the game. Because all we've seen from these guys is either the canned "We gotta play better" or looking like someone stole their lunch money.

Get angry. Really, really pissed off.

Then take it all out on the Panthers Sunday, not by falling into playing their game or gooning it up, on the scoreboard. And this is the biggie - when the Leafs win, don't let that be enough. Carry it right through to the end of series as if it's now their personal life mission to send Florida packing for having the audacity for embarrassing the Leafs in front of the home crowd.

I'm living in a fantasy world if I think that will really happen, it hasn't until now, but I can only hope that just maybe that spark of resentment from one or two will spread throughout the locker room?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad