Confirmed with Link: Luke Glendening to Dallas Stars (2 years, $1.5M AAV)

Hatter of the Beach

I’m the real hero
Jun 26, 2017
Parkland Estates, Florida
As a Wings fan I think you got decent value on Glenny. He did get a bit overrated due to Babcock loving him, but he is an above average 4th line center and was one of the few vets on the Wings who acted like he gave a shit.

I assumed he’d be more in the 2.25 range

Reactions: ManwithNoIdentity

Sports2

smack my bisch up
Jul 1, 2018
People who actually watch him play: hey hes good you'll like him
Stars fans: this excel visualization says hes not a net positive player i hate him

Captain Awesome

Mar 29, 2008
Long Beach, CA
He's a terrible player who's good at faceoffs.
I'd rather have Cogliano back

This is the back of the book quote you never thought you'd see.

I could justify this in my head if we even had need for a 4th line center, but we really don't. This team is chock full of centers, if Benn, Seguin, and Hintz are full time centers, then Faksa is your "4th line" center. For the record, all I've ever heard about Glendening over the years is people shitting on him. That's the first nice thing I've seen anyone say about him in ages, other than he's good at faceoffs, a skill that isn't very important.

Edit: I have lurked over on the red wings thread, they all like this deal, at least from the value standpoint. I still think it's super unnecessary because it's just not an area of need, but at least it gives me hope he won't be a complete black hole for this team.

TLDR; Thanks, I hate it.

Reactions: FirstRowUpperDeck

ElGuapo

^Plethora of piñatas
Nov 30, 2010
Nomad
He's a terrible player who's good at faceoffs.
I'd rather have Cogliano back

Aw+Jeez,+not+this+shit+again!.jpg

Reactions: Zrhutch and Sports2

Dynamite Time

Where Is My Mind?
Jan 23, 2018
Austin, TX
It’s HFboards of course but the praise from Wings fans about a bottom 6 guy sounds good and I like this signing. I know he’s 32 but will get a chance to play in postseason and this could be a steal by Nill.

Reactions: LT

ManwithNoIdentity

Jun 4, 2016
Kalamazoo, MI
Looks like I’m rooting for the stars to win the cup

Was an absolute warrior in Detroit and did everything you could ask for in a 4th line type role, fan favorite and loved in the locker room

Will not miss our broadcasters mentioning his f/o percentage every game though, hah

Take good care of him

Reactions: Smelling Salt

eartotheground

capslock broken
Sponsor
Jul 7, 2006
Helsinki South
Looks like I’m rooting for the stars to win the cup

Was an absolute warrior in Detroit and did everything you could ask for in a 4th line type role, fan favorite and loved in the locker room

Will not miss our broadcasters mentioning his f/o percentage every game though, hah

Take good care of him

razor will have that covered, i have no doubts.

Reactions: Smelling Salt

MabusIncarnate

May 20, 2013
Tennessee
You really can't ask for a better 4th line C, he shows up to play every night, rarely makes mistakes. He's a great penalty killer, isn't afraid to throw around the body, and he's an excellent faceoff guy, league leader last season. He has a pretty wicked backhand too when he uses it. I hate to see him go, one of my favorite Wings, and you guys are going to be real happy with this addition.

Ghost of Kyiv

Wanted Dead and Alive
Feb 1, 2015
Schrödinger's Box
Dallas should be excellent defensively at 5v5. I'm pretty concerned about the penalty kill this year however.

Seems like we've got a lot of veterans with reputations for being good penalty killers but very poor results. Cogliano was always a "great penalty killer" both in term of reputation and results. And neither Oleksiak or Dickinson were slouches either. Guys like Suter and Glendening have reputations for being "great penalty killers" but get terrible results. I'm sure Glendening with help on D at evens though, and it's always good to keep the character in the room high. Effort and hard work matter.

Reactions: David Castillo

WhoahNow

WhatsApp lead the way
Sep 7, 2011
Dallas should be excellent defensively at 5v5. I'm pretty concerned about the penalty kill this year however.

Seems like we've got a lot of veterans with reputations for being good penalty killers but very poor results. Cogliano was always a "great penalty killer" both in term of reputation and results. And neither Oleksiak or Dickinson were slouches either. Guys like Suter and Glendening have reputations for being "great penalty killers" but get terrible results. I'm sure Glendening with help on D at evens though, and it's always good to keep the character in the room high. Effort and hard work matter.
Lindell, Suter, Heiskanen, Sekera on D
Faksa, Glendening, Comeau, Hintz, Benn, Pavelski for F. Maybe Kero, Dellandrea, Gardner if need be.

They have options, but doesnt scream strong pk squad to me

Ghost of Kyiv

Wanted Dead and Alive
Feb 1, 2015
Schrödinger's Box
I buy the utility of veteran 4th liners that clogs things up, play physical and keeps things to the outside; it works at 5v5. I don't think it works on the PK, tougher to clog things up when you're down a man. I think penalty killing (at least from a forwards POV) is more about speed, rotating quickly and preventing zone entries by covering a lot of horizontal space around the blue line.

The Stars have been a declining PK unit the past couple of years, I don't see that trend reversing. I wouldn't be surprised if this is a top 3 team in the NHL defensively at even strength while simultaneously being a bottom 5 team defensively on the kill.

Captain Awesome

Mar 29, 2008
Long Beach, CA
One thing I didn’t miss last year on special teams was everyone feeding Seguin insanely low probability one times from the left side, nearly at the goal line. I could see the PP getting worse if that nonsense comes back as well.

Hobnobs

Pinko
Nov 29, 2011
I think people who says that Glendening was always shitted on is confusing him with Darren Helm. Or they misunderstood when wings-fans shitted on him for playing too high up in the line up. He's a top-4th liner and a decent 3rd liner and a good PKer. Had a very good season last year so unless he falls off you got good value to your bottom-6 here.

Reactions: Elysian

AveryStar4Eva

Aug 28, 2014
I don’t dislike Glendening, but I was penciling Faksa into that 4C spot and hoping we would would finally run three scoring lines. Just makes the lines a weird fit

BG44

Jul 19, 2021
I don’t dislike Glendening, but I was penciling Faksa into that 4C spot and hoping we would would finally run three scoring lines. Just makes the lines a weird fit

That is my primary issue. You're clearly rolling the dice on Faksa saying he's Top 9. I don't think it's necessarily wrong to test it out, but at least part of me liked the idea that if they were serious about the Benn center experiment, it gave Faksa a chance to earn a Top 9 role instead of just being a traditional checker.

Faksa absolutely could kill it, but I get nervous maybe the offense dip wasn't all about Comeau and Cogliano. You play him up the lineup in a more offensive role and he fails ... that's tough with Dallas' future cap maneuvering, especially if Benn and/or Seguin continue to struggle.

Reactions: AveryStar4Eva

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad