OT: Mary Poppins: "Cancer, Alzheimers, bed bugs, and black widows, (insert your own) ...these are a few of my favorite things."

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheStorm

Sep 15, 2015
Pittsburgh,PA
Not sure if this is an appropriate place to air this out, but oh well. Just found out my dad has cancer, and I'm not really sure how to deal with this information at the moment. Hopefully he gets better, but I'm not sure what type of cancer he has, or what stage it's in.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Not sure if this is an appropriate place to air this out, but oh well. Just found out my dad has cancer, and I'm not really sure how to deal with this information at the moment. Hopefully he gets better, but I'm not sure what type of cancer he has, or what stage it's in.
This is the right place.

Hopefully they found it early and things work out as best they can. It is definitely a scary situation.

My parents are in their 70s, so the medical stuff always seems to be lurking and it can be really scary. Recently, my dad had a small bowel obstruction that led to a short hospital stay and my mom had some skin cancer removed.

Even those things that resolved somewhat quickly are not fun.

TheStorm

Sep 15, 2015
Pittsburgh,PA
This is the right place.

Hopefully they found it early and things work out as best they can. It is definitely a scary situation.

My parents are in their 70s, so the medical stuff always seems to be lurking and it can be really scary. Recently, my dad had a small bowel obstruction that led to a short hospital stay and my mom had some skin cancer removed.

Even those things that resolved somewhat quickly are not fun.
he's lost a lot of weight recenty and has had trouble moving around, but I'm not sure what stage it's in. The doctor is going to tell us within a few days, so I'm praying it's been caught early enough.

Reactions: Butt Ox and Jim Bob

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
Hang in there, and for your own sanity don't worry until you know more. Not to be blunt, but there's a huge range of possibilities and outcomes.

Turns out something like over half of all men in the USA over age ~65 (or something like that) die with colon cancer but not from colon cancer.
Bladder cancer and certain others etc. are very survivable with excellent long-term prognosis, especially if caught early.
Others (pancreatic, liver) are far less survivable and the timeline is a lot shorter (comparatively).
I, like almost all of us here, have family, friends, and co-workers who have both survived and succumbed to cancer.
Even though I'm in my mid-50s and my peer groups continue to age in the "wrong direction" for cancer susceptibility / diagnosis, I can honestly say I know more cancer survivors than victims, and the ratio keeps improving with each passing year.

My prayers for your peace of mind and heart.

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013
That's rough. How old is he?

If it's any consolation most of my relatives have had cancer relatively young but still make it way past 80. My grandma turns 93 soon and she has had cervical cancer and breast cancer.

I hope it's not the "worst" kind and that you and your dad have people around you to support and help out the coming year.

Reactions: Butt Ox

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation

Sorry to hear that and this is completely a place to air that out. Hopefully everything works out for all of you.

oldgoalie

Goaltending matters.
Jan 7, 2004
VA
best wishes for a good outcome for your dad.

TheStorm

Sep 15, 2015
Pittsburgh,PA
That's rough. How old is he?

If it's any consolation most of my relatives have had cancer relatively young but still make it way past 80. My grandma turns 93 soon and she has had cervical cancer and breast cancer.

I hope it's not the "worst" kind and that you and your dad have people around you to support and help out the coming year.
He's 68. The only other person Ive known in my life to get cancer was a high school friend and he died before turning 20.

yahhockey

Jan 23, 2013
It's interesting how the world works. You have been lucky to have only had one past experience whereas someone else your age may have had numerous close encounters with cancer. It reminds me of my cousin-in-law (is that a thing or simply my cousin's wife?), anyways, we were talking at the funeral for who would have been her mother-in-law had they wed sonner (aka my cousin's mom aka my aunt) and it was the first funeral she had attended even though she was maybe 22-25. By her age I must have been close to ten funerals between three grandparents, great aunts/uncles that I saw on a regular basis and family friends.

Hoping for the best outcome for you and your father. From personal experience I would say try to help when you can, try to spend time with him when you can and don't put too much stock in what they say - good or bad - say what you want to say while he's around to hear it and don't take any days for granted.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY

This is why I tend to laugh at people that say that pro athletes should get paid $100k+ because they are the best on Earth.

That is not the case for so many world class athletes in plenty of sports.

• Wow
Reactions: oldgoalie

whiplash

Jan 6, 2006
NYC
19 videos recorded, 5 live, 14 scheduled. Finally starting retro games this Sunday with Crystalis on the NES. Still have 2 more videos to get recorded to cover the remainder of May.... 21 in a month is a lot haha
You reminded me how much I HATE playing SR/X-Com-type games :laugh: (But I enjoy watching: had some roommates a lifetime ago that were obsessed with X-Com2 and I got invested in their team while watching them play, I just can't stand executing turn-based combat.)

Papers Please looks fun but might remind me too much of the attention to mundane details required on my current project

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
It's interesting how the world works. You have been lucky to have only had one past experience whereas someone else your age may have had numerous close encounters with cancer. It reminds me of my cousin-in-law (is that a thing or simply my cousin's wife?), anyways, we were talking at the funeral for who would have been her mother-in-law had they wed sonner (aka my cousin's mom aka my aunt) and it was the first funeral she had attended even though she was maybe 22-25. By her age I must have been close to ten funerals between three grandparents, great aunts/uncles that I saw on a regular basis and family friends.

In my teens, I used to drive my father to funerals. My grandparents did the snowbird thing and both had larger families and lead active social lives - volunteer fire company stuff, their church, etc... so my father would be their rep at funerals be it neighbors, acquaintances from the fire hall, someone they had worked with or family. But close family, it probably wasn't until I was in my 20's when we lost an aunt, an uncle then one grandmother, then a cousin.

Now it's folks I went to school with and people from work. I can manage about 10 posts on something like Facebook because by 10, there is someone talking about how their spouse or parent or even worse is ill or in hospice or has passed. And that doesn't include those who are already gone who just show up with birthday reminders despite being years gone. I have a former coworker whose wife went through three rounds with cancer over about 10 years. She was an awesome, funny, vivacious person and I'm better for having known her. And that f***ing disease took her. And now he has a cancer diagnosis.

Hoping for the best outcome for you and your father. From personal experience I would say try to help when you can, try to spend time with him when you can and don't put too much stock in what they say - good or bad - say what you want to say while he's around to hear it and don't take any days for granted.

Very much the same. I hope you have the best possible outcome he and you can.

You reminded me how much I HATE playing SR/X-Com-type games :laugh: (But I enjoy watching: had some roommates a lifetime ago that were obsessed with X-Com2 and I got invested in their team while watching them play, I just can't stand executing turn-based combat.)

Papers Please looks fun but might remind me too much of the attention to mundane details required on my current project

I still chuckle at the old Honest Trailers review of XCom2, done Jon Bailey (aka. Epic Voice Guy) a few years ago.

TheMistyStranger

ミスト
May 21, 2005

I was offered a free steam key for xcom2 and I turned it down. Stakes are too high. Shadowrun just has vibes though. I'm glad it's fun to watch, at least. I'm probably going to take a break between the first and second Shadowrun missions and put something else up on Wednesday rotation, maybe Kerbal Space Program, which I've never played. After Papers, Please I'm probably putting Untitled Goose Game up on Fridays for a short run, since it's a pretty short game, as I understand it, and after Crystalis Sundays, I am debating between a blind-ish play of Shadowgate [which I haven't beaten since probably 1992) or a totally blind of Link to the Past, which somehow I just never got around to.

Papers is fun, but it's so stressful lol. New vid up for that on Friday!

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
Not trying to be flip, but two things I have zero interest in experiencing personally: Cancer and Console / Computer gaming. First one is obvious. Second one, I've never been interested. Would rather be outdoors, reading, learning, tinkering, watching paint dry, etc.

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in
So pray for me anybody who has dealt with it or knows someone that has. My landlord popped by yesterday and told me that there’s bed bugs in the building. So I called a pest control company here that has a sniffer dog and had them do a check and get some tips on what I can do to stop them before they’re here. Unfortunately, they’re here. Which explains the random ass welts I wake up with.

There’s also a black widow nest, because f*** me, apparently.

• Wow
Reactions: TheDawnOfANewTage

Mike McDermott

blah blah blah
Apr 23, 2006
Lockport
So apparently life has decided to shit on how good things have been lately. Been feeling really good both physically and me mentally lately. Found out as I got home from work a couple hours ago that my cousin, who is only eight months older than me passed away in their sleep last night. No clue what happened, she wasn’t sick that I’m aware of or anything. Ugh, this sucks.

Edit: realized that my phone put an ‘s’ at the end of cousin. Fixed to make it singular.

Now to hope I can sleep tonight.

Last edited:

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
So apparently life has decided to shit on how good things have been lately. Been feeling really good both physically and me mentally lately. Found out as I got home from work a couple hours ago that my cousins, who is only eight months older than me passed away in their sleep last night. No clue what happened, she wasn’t sick that I’m aware of or anything. Ugh, this sucks.

Crap man, that sucks. Condolences to you and the rest of your family.

Reactions: Mike McDermott

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
So pray for me anybody who has dealt with it or knows someone that has. My landlord popped by yesterday and told me that there’s bed bugs in the building. So I called a pest control company here that has a sniffer dog and had them do a check and get some tips on what I can do to stop them before they’re here. Unfortunately, they’re here. Which explains the random ass welts I wake up with.

There’s also a black widow nest, because f*** me, apparently.

Teach the spider to eat the bed bugs.

TheMistyStranger

ミスト
May 21, 2005
So apparently life has decided to shit on how good things have been lately. Been feeling really good both physically and me mentally lately. Found out as I got home from work a couple hours ago that my cousins, who is only eight months older than me passed away in their sleep last night. No clue what happened, she wasn’t sick that I’m aware of or anything. Ugh, this sucks.

That's horrendous. I'm very sorry to hear this. Condolences, MM

Reactions: Mike McDermott
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad