Matthew Knies

Raym11

Oct 6, 2009
he made a lot of mistakes in the series but he was also crucial and made great plays. shows his mentality that he bounces back after everything

I'm also fine with guys like that making mistakes/blunders when you know they will just continue to play the way they always do. Couple years down the line and he'll be refined.

SImpelton

Mar 1, 2018
For now he's an excellent supporting player. He's got upside beyond that for future seasons, but his puck possession abilities are already impressive and he has the ability to anticipate where the puck is going and get his stick there. That speaks well of his potential as a future goal scorer. He's also way better than such a wet behind the ears kid should be defensively. He could stick in the NHL just for his defense and cycling and be a staple on someone's third line even if he never develops a scoring touch.

And there's no way this kid doesn't turn the skillset he has into at least a few 50 point seasons. That's the floor, the ceiling is higher.

He reminds me a little bit of a young Patrice Bergeron if I'm being honest. A bit too unseasoned to be a huge scoring threat -- yet. The game will eventually slow down for him and then we'll really see what he's capable of. But even at this early date he's puck hungry and reading the play extremely well. Once his scoring catches up with the rest of his game he's going to be a monster.

Put it this way -- he just started skating at NHL speeds and he's already good enough to be a third line checking winger and should probably play on the second PK unit if he isn't already. Put him in a forechecking and possession role and he's ready right now to contribute as a pro skater. That's astonishing for the limited experience he has. Once he gets his timing down at this level, the sky's the limit.

pcruz

Mar 7, 2013
Vaughan
I was skeptical of his impact before the playoffs.

He's been way above my expectations to be honest.

I'm not ready to call him a core player, but I can definitely see him flanking Matthews and Marner next season after a full training camp and pre-season with this team.

His puck protection is fantastic for a player who has played more playoff games than regular season NHL games.

There's lots to teach him, for damn sure, but the raw skillset is there for all to see.

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto
I said from the beginning put him with Tavares and watch them drive possession and cycle the puck.

This kid does not play like a kid who got thrust into a new team, and city, and a new tempo hours after a crushing disappointment.

Love that Dubas took him, and that he held on to him when everyone (media meatheads) but the Pope were demanding that Dubas include him in every single trade for has been UFA's "to go all in".

Welcome to Toronto Matt! :)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad