Prospect Info: Max Guenette RD 3 year elc signed

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
No just realistic. To be a serious contender this team needs about 20 more points. With the current core, no blue chip prospects and a lack of cap space I can't see how they are getting there. Playoff team but out early.
Well then you might as well take a break and come back in a bit. I’ll give you a summary of how a team grows to contention.

Stammer himself told our media that it took him 5 years to make the playoffs after being drafted and that takes time time for kids to develop.

You don’t seem to have the patience, nor the faith in this group so what’s the point for you?

Sens have no 1st round pick (10th, 7th, ~15th) for a 3 year period, that hurts moving forward at a cap team.
2 years, you just don’t like Boucher, though you’ve argued that Ostapchuk would be a first in a redraft…..

So there is that….

You also forgot first round equivalent adds in DBC and Chych, but don’t let that get in the way of a good story…. Lol

Reactions: asw and PlayersLtd

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
No just realistic. To be a serious contender this team needs about 20 more points. With the current core, no blue chip prospects and a lack of cap space I can't see how they are getting there. Playoff team but out early.
I dont think they are cup contenders next year but they are projecting to be there the year after imo. Stutzle will be 23 Brady 25 Batherson 26. Chabot 27 and so on. Cap will jump while players are all locked up too, I would be shocked if in the 24-25 season the sens aren't a top 10 team.

Reactions: PlayersLtd

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
Sens have no 1st round pick (10th, 7th, ~15th) for a 3 year period, that hurts moving forward at a cap team.

The following roles are already locked up for the foreseeable future.

1C, 2C, 3C(Pinto/Greig?)
1D, 2D, 4D Zub is a good option for the next 2-3 years but you have an argument a 1st round pick can be used to address a player for his spot in the long term. Chychrun also has question marks if he stays here or not.
#1LW, BT, #1RW DB. Giroux has 2-3 years left in the tank , Debrincat is big question mark.

Goaltending you rarely see contenders going for it with goalies they have drafted however ottawa has a pipeline with Soogard and Merilainen.

I think the sens can survive without anymore assistance from 1st rounders tbh. Especially now we are seeing players getting AAVs closer 2 on their ELCs with P/S Bonuses.

DueDiligence

Nov 16, 2013
You don’t seem to have the patience, nor the faith in this group so what’s the point for you?
I would bet I have been a fan longer than yourself so don't spew that crap.
I like the team composition right now but to think it can compete as a cup contender as is, is wishful thinking. And "cup contender" means that ; a conference final where they are equal to the other teams left. But at present they have some serious flaws in their bottom six and in net. How do they fix that? If they sign Debrincat then they are sticking with what they already have on the team or in the system. If they get bold and trade DBC for stud goalie who is making up the scoring? Sure Norris will be back but then you are hoping that everyone else plays well and stays healthy. I hope that happens but it's a lot to ask for when they need to get much better than what they are now.

PlayersLtd

Mar 6, 2019
I dont think they are cup contenders next year but they are projecting to be there the year after imo. Stutzle will be 23 Brady 25 Batherson 26. Chabot 27 and so on. Cap will jump while players are all locked up too, I would be shocked if in the 24-25 season the sens aren't a top 10 team.
Cap will jump significantly in 24-25 when the loan is fully paid off, rumours are in excess of $90M and this is consistent with other large cap jumps in the past. We will potentially have a cap crunch for next season which can be solved with bridge deals, after that we should be fine.

Also, anyone thinking that Buffalo will be in a better position in the long run I think is glorifying the competition. All of our talent is locked up on very good deals. Talent for talent, dollar for dollar we are as well set up as anyone. If BUF is better set up capwise its because they haven't had to pay for the same riches of talent.

That or it's because they draft better from here forward and get contributing players on ELC's in 3 years when both teams are peaking. That of course is yet to be seen though.

But remember when COL was a cap darling? It can look good one year but put you in handcuffs before you know it. Talk to me when Power, Dahlin, and Mittlestadt need to be resigned after next season and then Quinn and Peterka the year after that.

If we can't have our cake and eat it too, then the same applies to other teams. There isn't a cheat code no matter how good Tage Thomson's contract looks.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
Slow cooked. Should be ready if he’ll ever be. I’m a fan so hope for the best.

PlayersLtd

Mar 6, 2019
I like the team composition right now but to think it can compete as a cup contender as is, is wishful thinking. And "cup contender" means that ; a conference final where they are equal to the other teams left. But at present they have some serious flaws in their bottom six and in net. How do they fix that? If they sign Debrincat then they are sticking with what they already have on the team or in the system. If they get bold and trade DBC for stud goalie who is making up the scoring? Sure Norris will be back but then you are hoping that everyone else plays well and stays healthy. I hope that happens but it's a lot to ask for when they need to get much better than what they are now.
We have some of the deepest scoring talent in the league and its only going to get better. Our third line will be anchored by an improved Pinto and Grieg with Formenton (hopefully). That pushes Joseph to the fourth with Kastelic. That means were one PTO like Brassard away from having as competitive a lineup as you could ask for, and thats saying nothing about Jarventie, Crookshank, Sokolov, Ostapchuk...

You're talking like you need to have spare top 6 players as injury replacement. You don't, just look at COL this year. But the funny thing is that we do have that luxury with Pinto more than capable of sliding on the 2nd line. The same goes for D if Kleven sticks and we keep Brannstrom. One of the deepest offences in the league and D. So what's to complain about with this group? Moving forward it checks literally every box

You're also talking like every team is built like the Team Canada roster. They aren't. Even good teams have a number of stop gap players.

Goaltending is our unknown, yeah this is true. But you don't need the stud to go deep, you just need above average. In 2 years Soogaard is probably that. Next year hopefully Forsberg is healthy and / or PD can find an upgrade.

By my count that is one thing to worry about. The sky is not falling.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
You haven’t, since I’ve been around since day one and was a habs fan before hand, so feel free to can your own BS.

You have your own definitions and timelines that suit your negative outlook. I don’t think anyone thinks we’ll be cup contenders next season, but we should be legitimate playoff contenders as we stand right now. We’re a few playoffs away from contending for the cup, but we have most if not all of the main pieces.

You are constantly negative about this group and overly positive about Buffalo and Detroit so you could probably understand where I’m coming from in regards to how you come across about the team.

You think we have serious flaws, I don’t. I think bottom six is an easy and fluid situation like with every good team, and the goaltending is stable with Forsberg, and we have two nice prospects. I’ll agree that we could use a stable backup for now.

I’m not hoping everyone stays healthy, I’m hoping that we don’t lose our number 1 centre for the whole year, and one or both starting goalies for most of the season, and we’re good. Not being top five in most affected by injuries isn’t asking for the world.

Feel free to disagree, I don’t mind debating with you about the outlook of the team.

DueDiligence

Nov 16, 2013
You haven’t, since I’ve been around since day one and was a habs fan before hand, so feel free to can your own BS.

You have your own definitions and timelines that suit your negative outlook. I don’t think anyone thinks we’ll be cup contenders next season, but we should be legitimate playoff contenders as we stand right now. We’re a few playoffs away from contending for the cup, but we have most if not all of the main pieces.

You are constantly negative about this group and overly positive about Buffalo and Detroit so you could probably understand where I’m coming from in regards to how you come across about the team.

You think we have serious flaws, I don’t. I think bottom six is an easy and fluid situation like with every good team, and the goaltending is stable with Forsberg, and we have two nice prospects. I’ll agree that we could use a stable backup for now.

I’m not hoping everyone stays healthy, I’m hoping that we don’t lose our number 1 centre for the whole year, and one or both starting goalies for most of the season, and we’re good. Not being top five in most affected by injuries isn’t asking for the world.

Feel free to disagree, I don’t mind debating with you about the outlook of the team.
Constantly negative? I think you have me confused with someone else like Agent Zub or Answer. However I do try to look at things realistically and will change my mind if the facts say to do so.
I am very positive about some players like Brady and Timmy but think Chabot is overpaid for what he brings. I loved the Giroux signing and the DBC trade but thought after those moves the team should be better than it showed. I was in favour of keeping DJ on back in November but not now. PD has made some good moves this season with the Giroux signing, TS contract , Chychrun trade, but also erred on the Paul-Joseph trade and subsequent MJ signing, the Gus-Talbot trade , the Brown trade and the Boucher draft pick. And regardless of what people think PD has established the core for the Sens moving forward as there is no cap room to add a significant piece without losing an existing asset. Bottom line is that it's his time to go as well.
What I find interesting is your constant rosy outlook on things. Maybe you are a paid apologist or a friend of management but rarely do you have anything critical to say about a team that has been bungling along for 10 years with one fluke year thrown in. They haven't made the playoffs in 6 years. Sure things are better than two plus years ago but that's because they were really bad then.
As presently constructed I see them as a playoff team but not a contender. Timmy will get better but Giroux will regress. Sanderson will be a stud but we've seen the best of Chabot. There are no blue chip prospects that aren't already on the team that could fill a prominent role at a cheap cap hit. I feel the team will be in the playoffs for the next few years but will hit a ceiling like many teams do and never get to a cup final. Unless some really bold moves are made. And as a fan I want to see them win it all not just be entertaining for a few years.
Oh and just for the record I was a Sens season ticket holder at the Civic centre for a couple of years and long before that a Habs fan.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Constantly negative? I think you have me confused with someone else like Agent Zub or Answer. However I do try to look at things realistically and will change my mind if the facts say to do so.
I am very positive about some players like Brady and Timmy but think Chabot is overpaid for what he brings. I loved the Giroux signing and the DBC trade but thought after those moves the team should be better than it showed. I was in favour of keeping DJ on back in November but not now. PD has made some good moves this season with the Giroux signing, TS contract , Chychrun trade, but also erred on the Paul-Joseph trade and subsequent MJ signing, the Gus-Talbot trade , the Brown trade and the Boucher draft pick. And regardless of what people think PD has established the core for the Sens moving forward as there is no cap room to add a significant piece without losing an existing asset. Bottom line is that it's his time to go as well.
What I find interesting is your constant rosy outlook on things. Maybe you are a paid apologist or a friend of management but rarely do you have anything critical to say about a team that has been bungling along for 10 years with one fluke year thrown in. They haven't made the playoffs in 6 years. Sure things are better than two plus years ago but that's because they were really bad then.
As presently constructed I see them as a playoff team but not a contender. Timmy will get better but Giroux will regress. Sanderson will be a stud but we've seen the best of Chabot. There are no blue chip prospects that aren't already on the team that could fill a prominent role at a cheap cap hit. I feel the team will be in the playoffs for the next few years but will hit a ceiling like many teams do and never get to a cup final. Unless some really bold moves are made. And as a fan I want to see them win it all not just be entertaining for a few years.
Oh and just for the record I was a Sens season ticket holder at the Civic centre for a couple of years and long before that a Habs fan.
I hadn’t considered how long a Sens fan you’ve been, and I mean constantly negative on this subject we’ve been debating, but I should have been more clear.

I don’t spend much time on negativity because this place is already crawling with it, and for my entertainment choice I like to focus on the positives. I’m also not a negative person in general and dislike the cheap and disingenuous arguments that pass for discussion in here often enough. I wish I was a paid apologist or whatever you said though, what an easy gig getting paid to spread positive vibes about my team.

As for the rest, the hockey side, we simply disagree with the quality of the team from what I gather. You see a lack of bluechip guys, while I see a team filled with blue chip guys who have graduated, and I see Ostapchuk as a bluechipper for us. Furthermore, i don’t see this team as having any room for players picked last year or this year any time soon, and we’ll have next years first to add on ELC eventually, or yet another solid player.

We simply aren’t bad enough to expect top tier draft adds anymore. Cat is young and better than can be reasonably expected of a 7OA in most cases, and this years pick will be a mid round selection that will likely never be as good as Chychrun, also a young player that forts our core. So while we don’t have a stocked pipeline of prospects, that’s simply because they are all on the team now.

There is no way I want Paul here, he‘s a bottom six player that provided very little scoring and wanted a long term deal. I much prefer adding Grieg instead. Jospeh will likely get another look, or will be traded too. These are not guys we want to be attached to. We want room for Ostapchuk And Boucher over the next few years, maybe Jarventie. I’d prefer a player that is physical over Paul, heck I’d prefer Brown over Paul. His legend around here has vastly over shone is actual value.

Suffice it to say that the only issues are short term goaltending, and which guys to add to the fourth line and 3rd line rw. The rest is pretty gravy in my opinion.

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
There is no way I want Paul here, he‘s a bottom six player that provided very little scoring and wanted a long term deal. I much prefer adding Grieg instead. Jospeh will likely get another look, or will be traded too. These are not guys we want to be attached to. We want room for Ostapchuk And Boucher over the next few years, maybe Jarventie. I’d prefer a player that is physical over Paul, heck I’d prefer Brown over Paul. His legend around here has vastly over shone is actual value.
Paul is currently 3rd in hits on Tampa.
Was 4th in hits for us last year, 2nd in hits the year before that
He was 4th in blocked shots, 2nd the year before that
Brown only ever produced more than him, was never near him in hits or blocked shots.

Sure he didn't score, but I don't get how anyone looks at his value as a 200ft player that can be used throughout the line up as 'legend status'

Loach

Jun 9, 2021
Well then you might as well take a break and come back in a bit. I’ll give you a summary of how a team grows to contention.

Stammer himself told our media that it took him 5 years to make the playoffs after being drafted and that takes time time for kids to develop.

2 years, you just don’t like Boucher, though you’ve argued that Ostapchuk would be a first in a redraft…..

So there is that….

You also forgot first round equivalent adds in DBC and Chych, but don’t let that get in the way of a good story…. Lol
Taking runs at BondraTime?! Woah!

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Paul is currently 3rd in hits on Tampa.
Was 4th in hits for us last year, 2nd in hits the year before that
He was 4th in blocked shots, 2nd the year before that
Brown only ever produced more than him, was never near him in hits or blocked shots.

Sure he didn't score, but I don't get how anyone looks at his value as a 200ft player that can be used throughout the line up as 'legend status'
how does his 5v5 per 60 stats compare to Papa Jo's

Good in Osgoode

Jan 15, 2018
Osgoode
Yeah, Max provides added depth for next year.

I think we are pretty much set 1 through 5 on D with Sanderson, Chabot, Chychrun, Zub & Brann.
Then we have young guys like Kleven, JBD, Thomson and Guenette to fill out the last 2 spots, if you carry 7 D.

I really like the veteran leadership that Hamonic brings. He reminds me of Boro.
I am hoping that they bring him back for added depth but I think we are still in good shape if they don't re-sign him.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
The kid looked good! Another potential player in the pipeline. Very tiny sample size, but he had two glorious scoring chances that he created himself, and you don’t often see that from a young rookie D playing in their first game of the season.

Reactions: barriers and OD99

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
The kid looked good! Another potential player in the pipeline. Very tiny sample size, but he had two glorious scoring chances that he created himself, and you don’t often see that from a young rookie D playing in their first game of the season.
Was nice to see him bring that confidence from his play in the AHL.

Too bad that pass from Joseph hopped on him, that was a gaping cage.

Obviously only the 1 game but his instincts certainly trend towards offensive opportunities - he was up supporting the play a lot but didn't seem to get caught too often.

Really encouraging to see that he didn't look out of place, particularly when Lassi and JBD aren't kicking the door down. Increased competition is growing.

Reactions: DrEasy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad