Men's League Last Night

Jan 21, 2011
Massachusetts
Anyone ever get in a fight in beer league? Almost did the other night.

We’re waxing this team like 5-0, they can’t touch the puck for long stretches.

Doosh bag I guess was frustrated about how the game was going and cross checks me into my goalie when I’m not looking or paying attention behind the play, extremely dirty play esp for mens league.

Take a license plate and don’t say or do anything right away. Later in shift I’m on the prowl, catch with with head down after catching a pass and blow him up.

He comes at me, we tangle and take him down to the ground. His teammates say ‘drop em’ ‘let them go’ I asked him if he wanted it and to make a move, we go to drop but refs get in between break it up.

Adrenaline was definitely pumping, im not a tough guy or hothead but I don’t take shit like that from people.

I was a little taller than the guy but he was a little chubby and big boned and prob had 30 pounds on me.

Both got a double minor for roughing…if I see him and that team again it’ll be playoffs..

The imagery here.. I could just picture it.

That’s the one thing I hate about my men’s league. It’s non-contact. So many slugs and meatheads are always looking down at the puck pretending to be like Trevor Zegras and try to out-dangle everyone (even if it’s my team!)

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Sponsor
Oct 23, 2014
The imagery here.. I could just picture it.

That’s the one thing I hate about my men’s league. It’s non-contact. So many slugs and meatheads are always looking down at the puck pretending to be like Trevor Zegras and try to out-dangle everyone (even if it’s my team!)

Yeah, wish I caught it on camera, ha.

Well most are, lol. Guys got jobs they gotta go to in the morning. A little bodying up in the corner is fine.

I would never hit anyone like I hit that guy unless they did something really dirty to me, which he did.

I’m lucky I wasn’t injured on the dirty hit.

WSD

Feb 26, 2016

Game between partner jails Quinte and Central East at the International Police Hockey Tournament. Was an absolute blast to play because it was a beer league game with hits (no hitting tournament, refs didn’t care)

Wish I saw this about 2 months ago 😂.. We played CECC in a charity tournament in Niagara this past January. Solid team and some decent lads on that team. Nothing like a couple C.O's running their mouths at one another

Reactions: Filthy Dangles

Outl4w

Dec 16, 2011
FL
Last.night I beat a young kid like early 20s (I'm 36) to a puck and be got mad and kicked me. HE took me out from behind, I get up to tell him that is really dirty no need for that,he skates to bench then and calls me a p*****. I laugh and said it is sad in an upper league a 36 old has picking your pocket all night but I bet you don't have the guts to come settle this like an adult. He just sat there and he teammates were just saying going to your bench. I said sure and the kid didn't go near me rest of the night.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Sponsor
Oct 23, 2014
Last.night I beat a young kid like early 20s (I'm 36) to a puck and be got mad and kicked me. HE took me out from behind, I get up to tell him that is really dirty no need for that,he skates to bench then and calls me a p*****. I laugh and said it is sad in an upper league a 36 old has picking your pocket all night but I bet you don't have the guts to come settle this like an adult. He just sat there and he teammates were just saying going to your bench. I said sure and the kid didn't go near me rest of the night.

Damn you got restraint…

someone kicks me with an ice skate I’m knocking all your teeth out with my stick like HR derby, or bertuzzing you

Reactions: DaveG

HansonBro

May 3, 2006
Anyone ever get in a fight in beer league?

Too many. We played the same f***ing teams with the same players for years. It was only natural rivalries would form.

I just wanted to play hockey, but as a skilled guy and a good skater, certain guys loved taking cheap shots. Every now and then I'd have to put them in their place. I played goalie a lot too but I don't think anyone knew it was me lol.

Anyways that's part of the reason I stepped away from hockey, got tired of the game within the game

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com
Too many. We played the same f***ing teams with the same players for years. It was only natural rivalries would form.

I just wanted to play hockey, but as a skilled guy and a good skater, certain guys loved taking cheap shots. Every now and then I'd have to put them in their place. I played goalie a lot too but I don't think anyone knew it was me lol.

Anyways that's part of the reason I stepped away from hockey, got tired of the game within the game
The league I ref in would suspend you for life after your third fight.

• Wow

HansonBro

May 3, 2006
The league I ref in would suspend you for life after your third fight.
I'm going back about 15 years. We'd just get tossed if it was in the first 2 periods. Then a game if it was in the 3rd.

I'm sure the rules have changed there since. Beer league should be for fun so I have no problem seeing goons getting banned

Reactions: DaveG

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com
I'm going back about 15 years. We'd just get tossed if it was in the first 2 periods. Then a game if it was in the 3rd.

I'm sure the rules have changed there since. Beer league should be for fun so I have no problem seeing goons getting banned
Crap, I forget to even tell this story which happened only a few short weeks ago.

So, I have reffed probably about 3000 Men's league games. So I get an evening game at a good rink part of a double that night. (8:00/9:30 starts).

I have this one team that I have done lots over the years. Guys were in their early to mid 20s when they started, many of them near 40. (The Titans). They are playing a new team in the league. A bunch of kids, with most of them if not all being 18-21. (The Seamen) One of the guys I know well comes up to me before the game and said the last game was a shitshow. Lots of penalties and dirty play.
gotcha-funny.gif

This means call it tight, make sure things don't get silly. On one play early in the game, I follow the play and in the corner of my left eye, I see a player go down. It looks like someone got him, but I didn't see it. I go to him after the next play and tell him what I saw, and that I would keep a close eye. So I call 1 penalty, two penalty, and then one of the weakest I have ever called, a Seaman went to slash a Titan and he missed, and I called him on the attempted slash.

The Seamen are young and pretty good. They score a few in the 1st, give up 1, score another. But they do something that the Titans hate. Chirping, incessantly. "You suck, you're terrible." Take the puck away..."How do you like that old man?" And it goes on and on. I tell them to shut up, but they aren't breaking any penalty boundries. I keep making the calls but it still boils to the end of the 2nd, and as the players are going off for the flood in between the 2nd and 3rd, there is outright yelling. It isn't pleasant. One of the Titans says "You need to STFU or I am going to f***ing kill you."

I take the opportunity to eject both players for not exiting the ice. Usually you toss a couple guys and the rest kind of fall into line. Especially after a scrape.

Third period comes and still chippy, lots more penalties. There is a Seaman in the box, and one of their players, who wasn't generally one of the chippy or even chirpy guys, accidently falls into the one female player on the Titans (Who is a pretty good player at this level).

There is a guy on the Titans who is a snap show. Always has been. Have played against him and he is cheap and dirty.

He loses his shit. Goes and grabs the guy. Pins him down starts punching him in the head. Two guys from the Seamen come to his defense. One pulls off the Titan's guy helmet. Another Titan comes into help. The Seaman in the box decides to come out of the box to see what is going on, and one Seaman comes off the bench. The Titan guy grabs the one Seaman guy by the mask. (Grabbing a helmet or mask is a match penalty).

We finally get the teams separated and the players that need to go home, get tossed. It burns most of the time slot. We have about 2 minutes left and start trying to play it out, and the goalie on the Titans who are now losing by a bunch calls a kid on the Seamen a gay slur.

One game. 9 suspensions.

8i7P.gif

Yukon Joe

Aug 3, 2011
YWG -> YXY -> YEG
I'm surprised you bothered to finish the game. With way less than that going on my team one time forfeited the game after the second attempted fight.

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com
I'm surprised you bothered to finish the game. With way less than that going on my team one time forfeited the game after the second attempted fight.
This is a mid division game. Had to drop the clock to 2 mins and teams decided they want to play. Nothing else happened. Up to the teams in this situation.

Yukon Joe

Aug 3, 2011
YWG -> YXY -> YEG
This is a mid division game. Had to drop the clock to 2 mins and teams decided they want to play. Nothing else happened. Up to the teams in this situation.
Different league, different rules, but in my one situation (which was a lot milder than what you describe) there was no choice - refs told us we had forfeited the game.

Aces89

Apr 22, 2020
Wish I saw this about 2 months ago 😂.. We played CECC in a charity tournament in Niagara this past January. Solid team and some decent lads on that team. Nothing like a couple C.O's running their mouths at one another

Which jail are you at? Quinte is playing the Montreal Canadiens Alumni in November

shakes the clown

Jan 11, 2010
Chicago

yep, this 100%. When you're a good player you end up being a target for the jealous benders who can't do anything but try and take runs at you cause they sure can't get the puck off your stick.

I've gotten in countless scraps during my men's league career, but I take pride in teh fact that I never once started it. Every single one was me retaliating and giving it back to a guy 10x worse than he gave it to me. Only way to get the benders to stop.

Its not the reason I stopped playing though, I wasn't soft like that. My back unfortunately was/is extremely soft lol.

Reactions: AlexBrovechkin8

shakes the clown

Jan 11, 2010
Chicago
Crap, I forget to even tell this story which happened only a few short weeks ago.

So, I have reffed probably about 3000 Men's league games. So I get an evening game at a good rink part of a double that night. (8:00/9:30 starts).

I have this one team that I have done lots over the years. Guys were in their early to mid 20s when they started, many of them near 40. (The Titans). They are playing a new team in the league. A bunch of kids, with most of them if not all being 18-21. (The Seamen) One of the guys I know well comes up to me before the game and said the last game was a shitshow. Lots of penalties and dirty play.
View attachment 728403
This means call it tight, make sure things don't get silly. On one play early in the game, I follow the play and in the corner of my left eye, I see a player go down. It looks like someone got him, but I didn't see it. I go to him after the next play and tell him what I saw, and that I would keep a close eye. So I call 1 penalty, two penalty, and then one of the weakest I have ever called, a Seaman went to slash a Titan and he missed, and I called him on the attempted slash.

The Seamen are young and pretty good. They score a few in the 1st, give up 1, score another. But they do something that the Titans hate. Chirping, incessantly. "You suck, you're terrible." Take the puck away..."How do you like that old man?" And it goes on and on. I tell them to shut up, but they aren't breaking any penalty boundries. I keep making the calls but it still boils to the end of the 2nd, and as the players are going off for the flood in between the 2nd and 3rd, there is outright yelling. It isn't pleasant. One of the Titans says "You need to STFU or I am going to f***ing kill you."

I take the opportunity to eject both players for not exiting the ice. Usually you toss a couple guys and the rest kind of fall into line. Especially after a scrape.

Third period comes and still chippy, lots more penalties. There is a Seaman in the box, and one of their players, who wasn't generally one of the chippy or even chirpy guys, accidently falls into the one female player on the Titans (Who is a pretty good player at this level).

There is a guy on the Titans who is a snap show. Always has been. Have played against him and he is cheap and dirty.

He loses his shit. Goes and grabs the guy. Pins him down starts punching him in the head. Two guys from the Seamen come to his defense. One pulls off the Titan's guy helmet. Another Titan comes into help. The Seaman in the box decides to come out of the box to see what is going on, and one Seaman comes off the bench. The Titan guy grabs the one Seaman guy by the mask. (Grabbing a helmet or mask is a match penalty).

We finally get the teams separated and the players that need to go home, get tossed. It burns most of the time slot. We have about 2 minutes left and start trying to play it out, and the goalie on the Titans who are now losing by a bunch calls a kid on the Seamen a gay slur.

One game. 9 suspensions.

View attachment 728412

The only shocking part of this story is the part where they resurface the ice in between the 2nd and 3rd. Is this men's league or the NHL lol? Never seen a resurfacing in men's league in my life and I probably logged close to 5000 games played.

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com
The only shocking part of this story is the part where they resurface the ice in between the 2nd and 3rd. Is this men's league or the NHL lol? Never seen a resurfacing in men's league in my life and I probably logged close to 5000 games played.
The leagues in Edmonton have a flood every two periods. If you run a 630/800/945 slot at a rink, then there is a flood after 2, then after the 1st period of the 2nd game, then after game 2, and then after the 2nd period in the 3rd game. Has been that way forever. There are over I would say 200 men's teams in summer(over several leagues) and in winter, not sure how many but easily over 400.

shakes the clown

Jan 11, 2010
Chicago
The leagues in Edmonton have a flood every two periods. If you run a 630/800/945 slot at a rink, then there is a flood after 2, then after the 1st period of the 2nd game, then after game 2, and then after the 2nd period in the 3rd game. Has been that way forever. There are over I would say 200 men's teams in summer(over several leagues) and in winter, not sure how many but easily over 400.
wow, that's totally different to how they do it in Chicago. Here in Chicago were lucky to get a warmup. THe biggest rink only gives you a 3 minute warmup and that clock starts as soon as the zamboni is off the ice and before the zamboni door even closes.

Question, how often do teams in that last game try and come to an agreement to get the rink to skip that final ice flooding after the 2nd period? Blow out game, already late, gotta work the next day, let's just GTFO out of here type of thing?

Here in Chicago good luck getting the refs to even call off sides during that 11:00 pm final game of the night lol.

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com
wow, that's totally different to how they do it in Chicago. Here in Chicago were lucky to get a warmup. THe biggest rink only gives you a 3 minute warmup and that clock starts as soon as the zamboni is off the ice and before the zamboni door even closes.

Question, how often do teams in that last game try and come to an agreement to get the rink to skip that final ice flooding after the 2nd period? Blow out game, already late, gotta work the next day, let's just GTFO out of here type of thing?

Here in Chicago good luck getting the refs to even call off sides during that 11:00 pm final game of the night lol.
It used to happen often when teams would ask for the flood of the late game to be skipped. The league mandated the scrape because the city charges for it anyways, so now we never skip.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
We had an entire team get kicked out and banned from my old league. Whenever you saw them on the schedule you groaned because you knew they weren’t there to play hockey. The worst offenders were a father and son duo. The young kid was pretty good but he was a prick and his dad was terrible and played with a wooden stick that he used to just wail on people. One time I had the puck and got around him and he actually reached out and tackled me. Had never had someone form tackle me around my legs like we were playing football. I wasn’t even mad, I was impressed.

Refs play an important role in the beer league experience. My only issue with beer league refs is when they don’t call any penalties all game but start handing out misconducts if you try and defend yourself. I was one of the stronger players on my team and I used to be on the receiving end of a lot of stick work and cheap shots. I never dove or tried to draw penalties but eventually you get tired of guys slashing you in the wrists/hands every time you have the puck or holding/hooking you every time you’re getting the edge on them. If you’re going to let that stuff go you have to let the occasional shove or slash or check in return out of self defense. The only time I find beer league really unenjoyable is when the refs don’t protect you because they won’t call anything but they won’t let you protect yourself either. The new league we moved to is thankfully much better at policing the game and as a result we really don’t see too many fights in our league.

shakes the clown

Jan 11, 2010
Chicago
We had an entire team get kicked out and banned from my old league. Whenever you saw them on the schedule you groaned because you knew they weren’t there to play hockey. The worst offenders were a father and son duo. The young kid was pretty good but he was a prick and his dad was terrible and played with a wooden stick that he used to just wail on people. One time I had the puck and got around him and he actually reached out and tackled me. Had never had someone form tackle me around my legs like we were playing football. I wasn’t even mad, I was impressed.

Refs play an important role in the beer league experience. My only issue with beer league refs is when they don’t call any penalties all game but start handing out misconducts if you try and defend yourself. I was one of the stronger players on my team and I used to be on the receiving end of a lot of stick work and cheap shots. I never dove or tried to draw penalties but eventually you get tired of guys slashing you in the wrists/hands every time you have the puck or holding/hooking you every time you’re getting the edge on them. If you’re going to let that stuff go you have to let the occasional shove or slash or check in return out of self defense. The only time I find beer league really unenjoyable is when the refs don’t protect you because they won’t call anything but they won’t let you protect yourself either. The new league we moved to is thankfully much better at policing the game and as a result we really don’t see too many fights in our league.
agree with this 100%.

I have a buddy who would take it to the extreme. Very good player so he would get the business from the other team's hacks every game. he would complain to the refs and if they continued to refuse to protect him he would spend the next period blasting pucks at the ref every time he touched it and thought he could do it without it being super obvious what he was doing. Great player, a few screws loose lol.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
agree with this 100%.

I have a buddy who would take it to the extreme. Very good player so he would get the business from the other team's hacks every game. he would complain to the refs and if they continued to refuse to protect him he would spend the next period blasting pucks at the ref every time he touched it and thought he could do it without it being super obvious what he was doing. Great player, a few screws loose lol.
Damn! I got pissed a bunch for sure but never went that far. So even if he was in his own zone or the neutral zone he’d just rip a puck at a ref? I imagine they caught on after one puck came flying at them. Buddy definitely would have been kicked out of the game for that in my league.

Speaking of launching pucks at people, we played a team a few seasons ago and were up by a goal with under a minute left. They had the goalie pulled and we were trying to clear it as the clock ran down and my buddy ripped a clapper trying to clear it down the ice just as the horn expired. He wasn’t trying to be a dick — he was just making a hockey play — but his shot his this dude on the other team right in the gut from a few feet away and the dude went ballistic. Tried shooting the puck at my teammate and was screaming at the refs to kick him out (mind you, the game was already over) and had a temper tantrum when the refs told him he was just making a play on the puck. The guy made a fool of himself and every time we’ve played that team since, we have a team tradition of somebody trying to hit him with a shot. We don’t do it every game but if he’s losing his cool a bit or running around like an asshat then we start taking bets on the bench on who can blast him next with a shot. It’s become one of our favorite team traditions. We’re not at all a dirty team but this guy sucks.

shakes the clown

Jan 11, 2010
Chicago
Damn! I got pissed a bunch for sure but never went that far. So even if he was in his own zone or the neutral zone he’d just rip a puck at a ref? I imagine they caught on after one puck came flying at them. Buddy definitely would have been kicked out of the game for that in my league.

Speaking of launching pucks at people, we played a team a few seasons ago and were up by a goal with under a minute left. They had the goalie pulled and we were trying to clear it as the clock ran down and my buddy ripped a clapper trying to clear it down the ice just as the horn expired. He wasn’t trying to be a dick — he was just making a hockey play — but his shot his this dude on the other team right in the gut from a few feet away and the dude went ballistic. Tried shooting the puck at my teammate and was screaming at the refs to kick him out (mind you, the game was already over) and had a temper tantrum when the refs told him he was just making a play on the puck. The guy made a fool of himself and every time we’ve played that team since, we have a team tradition of somebody trying to hit him with a shot. We don’t do it every game but if he’s losing his cool a bit or running around like an asshat then we start taking bets on the bench on who can blast him next with a shot. It’s become one of our favorite team traditions. We’re not at all a dirty team but this guy sucks.

He wouldn't make it that obvious. He would wait till he was skating the puck and if the ref was anywhere in front of him he would fire it at him and pretend he was trying to dump and chase or clear the zone if it was in our end.

Your second story reminds me of when my brother was playing in college for Oswego State in New York, they played a exhibition game vs a Canadian team. End of the game my brother is skating by their bench and someone reaches out and punches him from the bench. No call, but coincidently enough 3 seconds later the puck goes right to my brother who is now at center ice. Buzzer is about to blow and he turns to the other team's bench and just blasts a slapper right into their bench. Both benches empty and a massive team on team brawl broke out with half the Canandians trying to get at my brother. Gotta love the 90s when you could still do stuff like that lol.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
He wouldn't make it that obvious. He would wait till he was skating the puck and if the ref was anywhere in front of him he would fire it at him and pretend he was trying to dump and chase or clear the zone if it was in our end.

Your second story reminds me of when my brother was playing in college for Oswego State in New York, they played a exhibition game vs a Canadian team. End of the game my brother is skating by their bench and someone reaches out and punches him from the bench. No call, but coincidently enough 3 seconds later the puck goes right to my brother who is now at center ice. Buzzer is about to blow and he turns to the other team's bench and just blasts a slapper right into their bench. Both benches empty and a massive team on team brawl broke out with half the Canandians trying to get at my brother. Gotta love the 90s when you could still do stuff like that lol.
Hockey, the beautiful game :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad