News Article: "...Miller may have eyes set on Ducks."

illninofan*

I thought they had Frederik Andersen and John Gibson vying for the #1 spot.

Oh well.

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
Don't put much stock in this stuff, guys. It's low-hanging fruit for journalists. Miller to SoCal has been the go-to rumor for awhile when there's nothing else to write about. Whenever asked about being away from his wife, Miller has answered the question and said they both understand the setup and are fine with it. Besides, she's with him about half the season, anyways.

More importantly, I don't see Anaheim having any interest in giving Miller any sort of term beyond a year or two. They're ready to turn their crease over to Gibson (see Friedman's recent comment in a 30 thoughts column that the easiest way to make Bob Murray to laugh is to ask if Gibson is available). I can't see the Ducks being interested in Miller for the term he can get from the other alternatives, namely the Blues.

FYI- This same crap happened before Miller signed his current contract with the Sabres. Everyone was freaking out that Miller wanted to go home to Michigan. Buffalo News columnist Jerry Sullivan asked Miller if he was interested in playing for the Red Wings, and Miller, in not so many words, essentially said, "Just because I'm from Michigan doesn't mean I'm going to go play for Detroit."

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
Not to mention Jonas Hiller

Who isn't signed beyond this season and the Ducks were rumoured to have been in on Miller earlier in the season, only to be put off by the stupid demands of the Sabres. It was obvious before this recent speculation that it was between us and Anaheim for Miller.

It is the same as the Stastny situation, we will know at the draft exactly what is happening. If Miller hasn't signed by the draft then he isn't coming back IMO.

Kasparov

May 29, 2013
Who isn't signed beyond this season and the Ducks were rumoured to have been in on Miller earlier in the season, only to be put off by the stupid demands of the Sabres. It was obvious before this recent speculation that it was between us and Anaheim for Miller.

It is the same as the Stastny situation, we will know at the draft exactly what is happening. If Miller hasn't signed by the draft then he isn't coming back IMO.

But if we sign him after the draft, don't we only give up the 3rd?

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
But if we sign him after the draft, don't we only give up the 3rd?

Miller is free to talk to any team in the League from 2 days before the draft. We have no incentive to let that happen, even if we sign him before the draft and lose our 2014 first, we get the Minnesota 2nd and the Buffalo 3rd as part of that clause. That isn't such a big deal.

Oberyn

Prince of Dorne
Mar 27, 2011
I don't mind that Miller is waiting till FA to make a decision as that gives us the opportunity to see him in the playoffs before trying to go all-in on him. Miller hasn't really impressed me, and obviously it takes a while for a goalie to adjust to his defense, but his tendency to over-commit is a real concern.

If Miller does end up walking to the Ducks, I'm not going to be concerned about our goaltending. I honestly have a lot of faith in Elliott, and if we do end up re-signing him I would be more than thrilled. I'd be more concerned about the fact that we gave up a bundle of assets for a 3 month rental.

If we end up winning a cup with Miller though, he can walk for all I care.

LGB51

2019 STANLEY CUP CHAMPION ST. LOUIS BLUES!
Oct 9, 2013
Arcola, IL
I'd be bummed for a bit, but with Hiller hitting FA and ANA apparent willingness to overlook Andersen I would be more then happy to get one of them in ST. Louis. Then we just need to re-sign Elliot.

Why would they look to let Hiller go, who his a year younger then Miller and just as good imo, when Miller gave hints earlier in the season of costing a arm and a leg for his next contract?

Last edited:

bluesman11

Robert Johnson
Mar 19, 2010
Didn't I hear that from someone...

If it were to go down that way, then Hiller would be available.

bluesman11

Robert Johnson
Mar 19, 2010
I'd be bummed for a bit, but with Hiller hitting FA and ANA apparent willingness to overlook Andersen I would be more then happy to get one of them in ST. Louis. Then we just need to re-sign Elliot.

Why would they look to let Hiller go, who his a year younger then Miller and just as good imo, when Miller gave hints earlier in the season of costing a arm and a leg for his next contract?

The big contract demands have more to do with wanting out of Buffalo, and his statement that wherever he went it would certainly be a rental suggests he has plans.

Now just because this is his perfect scenario, doesn't mean it will happen unless he has been given some insurances, which we all know can't happen because that's tampering.

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
The big contract demands have more to do with wanting out of Buffalo, and his statement that wherever he went it would certainly be a rental suggests he has plans.

Now just because this is his perfect scenario, doesn't mean it will happen unless he has been given some insurances, which we all know can't happen because that's tampering.

And as Armstrong basically said last summer, tampering is widespread.

Thallis

No half measures
Jan 23, 2010
Behind Blue Eyes

From the sound of it, Anaheim has been planning on moving on from Hiller for a while. Honestly, I like the idea of signing Hiller this offseason better than Miller. I think he'll be cheaper and not require as big of a contract, while still being proven to be able to carry the load for 60 or so games so we can have Allen as Backup.

superblues

:sarcasm: implied
Oct 29, 2011
Does anybody know how Hiller stacks up, quantitatively and qualitatively.

In my mind, I'd ranked him in the same category as Halak, maybe a couple of notches higher. But I don't know if this assessment is accurate.

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
Can you elaborate on this comment?

He gave at least 2 different interviews saying similar things last summer when talking about the new CBA rules that allow teams to talk to pending FA's in the last week of June. Here is one of his comments...

"To me, it's just legalized tampering now, I was always amused that on July 1st at 11:01 central time, somebody's signing for $45m or $50m dollars. This just cleans up the process. And yes I do like this. It seems to be much more above board."

Not long after he made these comments, several teams made complaints to the League that the new rules were being abused (the Blues are suspected of being one of the teams to make a complaint) and teams were discussing financial terms with players and basically asking them to beat the money.

Blues88

Apr 27, 2009
St. Louis
There was absolutely nothing of substance in the article, so right now, its a total non issue.

If Miller wants to leave in the off season and we have an opportunity to sign Hiller-so be it. The trade still works from that standpoint, and you'd likely be able to get Hiller for less than Miller anyway. Hiller is a solid option to me.

Having said that, I want Miller to sign. Why wouldn't he? If you're looking to contend, I don't think there is anything to suggest that Anaheim, over the course of the past 3 or so seasons, is a better option than this team. If he has other reasons, meh, what can you do?

bluesman11

Robert Johnson
Mar 19, 2010
There was absolutely nothing of substance in the article, so right now, its a total non issue.

If Miller wants to leave in the off season and we have an opportunity to sign Hiller-so be it. The trade still works from that standpoint, and you'd likely be able to get Hiller for less than Miller anyway. Hiller is a solid option to me.

Having said that, I want Miller to sign. Why wouldn't he? If you're looking to contend, I don't think there is anything to suggest that Anaheim, over the course of the past 3 or so seasons, is a better option than this team. If he has other reasons, meh, what can you do?

I think a lot agree with this, like you I prefer Miller or Hiller, but if they did end up with Hiller the trade is still pretty much the same, The Blues upgraded their goaltending.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad