Minnesota Wild General Discussion - 2023-24

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
That would have made negotiations super interesting. On Duhaime's side, you can make an argument, "I was paid 950k on ELC, thats my quote. Now that I'm a regular and I gave you a discount/paycut last two years, you have to meet my quote + raise".

I think $1.0mil would have been my magic number and think that's where the arb would have landed.
He wasn't paid $950k on the ELC because he was in the AHL. And he didn't give any discount/paycut on the 2nd contract because that contract was signed with Duhaime having played 0 NHL games.

It would only make it super interesting if Guerin was a terrible negotiator.

Circulartheory

Apr 22, 2006
Hong Kong
He wasn't paid $950k on the ELC because he was in the AHL. And he didn't give any discount/paycut on the 2nd contract because that contract was signed with Duhaime having played 0 NHL games.

It would only make it super interesting if Guerin was a terrible negotiator.
He may not have be paid 950k but that how was the contract was structured. And I'm not trying to create a debate, just saying I find negotiations fun and fascinating and this would be a fun on to start from both sides.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Samsonov gets 1 x $3.55M in arbitration:

42 GP
27-10-5
2.33 GAA
.919 Save %

He has a lot more games prior to this season than Gustavsson had, but I'm not sure how much that factors in.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Samsonov gets 1 x $3.55M in arbitration:

42 GP
27-10-5
2.33 GAA
.919 Save %

He has a lot more games prior to this season than Gustavsson had, but I'm not sure how much that factors in.

Not great match IIRC the arbitration rules correctly. Samsonov is a year old and a lot more games played. It should be the $1.8m x 1 contract Samsonov signed last year that would be the comparable age contract.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Not great match IIRC the arbitration rules correctly. Samsonov is a year old and a lot more games played. It should be the $1.8m x 1 contract Samsonov signed last year that would be the comparable age contract.
Probably still gets to the same place with Samsonov's 3.02 GAA and .896 save % prior to signing that contract.

Wasted Talent

Sponsor
Aug 9, 2011

Swayman would probably be a better comparable and his arbitration date is a few days before Gus.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Other recent 25yo goalie contracts:
Vladar: $2.2m x 2
Samsonov: $1.8m x 2
Kahk: $2.75 x 2
Sorkin: $4m x 3
Shesterkin: $5.67m x 4
Nedeljkovic $3m x 2
Demko $5m x 5
Jarry $3.5m x 3
Hill: $2.175 x 2
Demko: $5m x 5

Anything over 2 years is buying UFA years for these players, so (in theory) those years should be worth more instead of a flat across the board rate.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012

Matt Boldy is on this list at #5

Pretty interesting. I like Boldy and his contract a lot but he needs to improve and be more consistent before I'd call it one of top 5 best in the league. Would be nice to give him some consistent top six linemates though. I'm not convinced Johansson is the answer and I don't know how Ek's going to be used this season.

Spurgeon

Nov 25, 2014
MinneSNOWta
Joe Smith (The Athletic):
The most likely to re-sign, at least at this point, is Foligno, 31, on a similar deal and term that he’s on now (three years, $3.1 million AAV). It’s fair to want to wait a bit, though, considering Foligno was banged up for a good part of last season and scored only seven goals.
Marcus having 23 goals (in 2021-22), we’d love it if he can get back to 23,” Guerin said on The Athletic’s Straight from the Source podcast with Michael Russo. “But we need Marcus healthy and playing the right way. If he’s playing the right way, will he get 23 again? Can he get his 15, 20? The way he plays, manages the puck, how he’s on every night, that’s more important than scoring a few extra goals.
Guerin is gonna blow through this cap so quickly over the next two years if this is where his mind is at.

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
Joe Smith (The Athletic):

Guerin is gonna blow through this cap so quickly over the next two years if this is where his mind is at.
I like Foligno a lot, but Guerin is taking crazy pills if he wants him back at the same cap hit. I'd love to have him back, but in a 4th line role at 4th line money. The guy is in his 30's. This isn't a country club anymore, right? Right??

That said, I'm glad they're waiting to see how he does in the first part of the year.

Obvious Fabertism

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2009
MN
Foligno was “on every night” last year? Wha?
Thats not at all what he said, he said when Foligno is playing the right way, like previous uninjured years. If he is back to being on his game consistently to start this season, I don't see at all why an extension is problematic, Foligno when at full potential is an extremely useful player.

Reactions: Sad People

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
Thats not at all what he said, he said when Foligno is playing the right way, like previous uninjured years. If he is back to being on his game consistently to start this season, I don't see at all why an extension is problematic, Foligno when at full potential is an extremely useful player.
When he's not, he is a slow lug that turns the puck over a lot and takes a lot of penalties.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad