News Article: Mirtle: Maple Leafs Ownership Could Make Massive Changes if 'Really Disappointing First-Round Exit' Happens Again in the Playoffs

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
They still have the power to strip a player of the captaincy and play the player wherever they want in the lineup to the point of healthy scratch. Marner above all wants money in a new deal and it would affect future earnings if he/Tavares played all of next year on the 4th line and scratched if they bitch or underperform. No PP, no PK and stapled to the bench when the other team pulls their goalie. Mitch won't get 11-12M from any team if he only gets 30-40 regular season points.

That's a nice theory, but it has never happened in the history of the league, and would never happen. Coaches and players want to win, so they'll give themselves the best chance to do so.

Edit - it wouldn't shock me that Marner wants to move on anyway. Too much pressure on him here (internal and external), and he folds every playoffs due to it... the guy is a Toronto kid through and through, and he wants to win, but it just seems to be too much for him... he's probably better off elsewhere, with less pressure.

Ownership missed the boat for massive changes last year, and I think that's going to cost Shanahan his job. Kind of hard to have these "massive changes" when you no longer have any power on the player due to NMC, MLSE no longer has the power to do anything if the players doesn't want to move on.

I would imagine Shanahan is fired and so is Keefe and Treliving is left waiting for a new boss to be hired.
The announcement that Shanahan will be at the PR on Friday, isn't giving me confidence that there will be the changes that many of us hope for. If he was gone, why pre-announce his participation?

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
They still have the power to strip a player of the captaincy and play the player wherever they want in the lineup to the point of healthy scratch. Marner above all wants money in a new deal and it would affect future earnings if he/Tavares played all of next year on the 4th line and scratched if they bitch or underperform. No PP, no PK and stapled to the bench when the other team pulls their goalie. Mitch won't get 11-12M from any team if he only gets 30-40 regular season points.
For all their faults the Teams not dumb and that would be dumb.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
Ownership missed the boat for massive changes last year, and I think that's going to cost Shanahan his job. Kind of hard to have these "massive changes" when you no longer have any power on the player due to NMC, MLSE no longer has the power to do anything if the players doesn't want to move on.

I would imagine Shanahan is fired and so is Keefe and Treliving is left waiting for a new boss to be hired.
They didn't miss the boat - they were complicit. Dubas wanted change, and that scared Shanahan, so they went full soap opera. Shanahan isn't making that move without approval above

Kazparov

Jan 2, 2017
You left out the most important reason... to make the company money. We'll see if he cleans house.
That's a given though. If sports is your business winning is the most profitable thing you can do. It's not like MLSE isn't spending the money to achieve that goal.

colchar

Apr 26, 2012
The announcement that Shanahan will be at the PR on Friday, isn't giving me confidence that there will be the changes that many of us hope for. If he was gone, why pre-announce his participation?

I have this fantasy that he appears in order to offer a mea culpa, then leaves the organization. That or they announce that he will be doing corporate stuff with no role in personnel or hockey decisions.

hockeyes

Jun 15, 2013
That's a given though. If sports is your business winning is the most profitable thing you can do. It's not like MLSE isn't spending the money to achieve that goal.

It's risk vs reward.

Of course a cup win would be the most profitable, but for an organization already printing money, there isn't much incentive to gamble on what would be a relatively low % play even if they executed it flawlessly.

Reactions: Obo and Kazparov

57 Years No Cup

New and Improved Username!
Nov 12, 2007
That's a nice theory, but it has never happened in the history of the league, and would never happen. Coaches and players want to win, so they'll give themselves the best chance to do so.

Edit - it wouldn't shock me that Marner wants to move on anyway. Too much pressure on him here (internal and external), and he folds every playoffs due to it... the guy is a Toronto kid through and through, and he wants to win, but it just seems to be too much for him... he's probably better off elsewhere, with less pressure.

So he can announce he's "stepping down"???

I have this fantasy that he appears in order to offer a mea culpa, then leaves the organization. That or they announce that he will be doing corporate stuff with no role in personnel or hockey decisions.
This is what I think as well, but there will be no mea culpa.

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
Someone suggested Shanny getting kicked to a new title. If he is removed I think that's the only way so they have whatever useful expertise he can give but no longer a factor in on ice product decisions. Fingers are crossed.

Reactions: Kazparov

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
You left out the most important reason... to make the company money. We'll see if he cleans house.
A blind bat running da Leafs makes $$$$ .. all subscriber and sponsor revenues come in by mid June every single year .. there are contracts in media with nhl on media and gaming revenues .. and merch and food/bev come in because da house is always full .. da main costs are contained cheaply for them due to CAP .. like i said bozo da clown makes $$$$$$ .. it is highly profitable in mid summer before year even starts .. da only serious job for prez is to build a Cup contending team and that job has been failed miserably .. folks on here have zero clue .. i know because i saw file every year while at kpmg and i get annual reports at our sponsor mtgs

Reactions: Kazparov

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad