Value of: Mitch Marner this offseason (2.5 mil retained)

TotalHomer

Jan 3, 2022
Total wussy in the playoffs, not even close to being worth his money. Toronto would be better off letting him walk but Shanahan is an idiot and will re-sign to even worse deal.

Axel Sandy Pelikan

Jonatan Berggren is our Lord and Savior,
May 11, 2023
That’s ridiculous. Marner’s caphit makes him negative value. Any team trading for Marner will have to overpay him on his next contract. The 11+M is better spent elsewhere than in a soft winger who craps the bed post season.

At 8M aav on his next deal, he would have value. That is the only way he returns value.
This is just wrong. He's overpaid yes. But shit man, a guy is a playoff dud until he has one big year and then he's a clutch playoff stud.

He doesn't have negative value. He just doesn't have the value that a 100 point player should.

BrawlFan

Apr 17, 2009
Hockey deal. Need another star one year away from UFA. Dubois - Lane type thing

namttebih

Dec 11, 2010
East York
To be honest, Mitch will do fantastic if he's traded to a team with a good preexisting culture and isn't expected to have a leadership role. Not suggesting they actually trade him there, but Boston, LA, Vegas, Carolina all come to mind.

Mitch, Matthews and Willy are the culture of this team. Having all 3 guys with similar ego and name on back first attitude isn't encouraging a healthy culture. There is no way that Mitch should have been given the A like that. Especially when a guy who was just as young and inexperienced was also given one in Matthews - who was basically guaranteed one. The fact that he negotiated it with his contract makes it even more cringy. He seriously lost most of the fan base over the contract negotiations.

Send him somewhere that have strong players who already run the room and he will thrive.

CokenoPepsi

Oct 28, 2016
He's getting paid no matter what.

I don't see why he would leave Toronto unless something amazing comes up in a trade

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
I don't think you can maximize his value. Its more a question of whether you can trade him at all given his NMC, caphit and bad rap for post-season futility.

The most likely scenario has the Leafs playing out Marner and JT's contracts.

This is silly. He is a 95 pt winger who whkl
Be making 775 k.

There are plenty of teams who would want him. If he wants out. There will be options.

The idea of him playing out the string here given how sensitive he is to media stuff seems the least likely to me.

Seattle. Nash. Anaheim. Stl isles kill for his scoring

Teams like jersey. La could use him too. Detroit if Kane leaves.

It would be where he wants to Sign.

If Chicago wins the lotter I could see that too

Reactions: Dion TheFluff

Drake1588

UNATCO
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2002
Northern Virginia
Marner isn't waiving this summer. He probably believes that with time will come fading memories of the playoffs no-show and an improved chance the Leafs will re-up him for eight years and excellent coin, and he's probably right.

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
I remember when Leafs fans argued they wouldn't trade Marner for Brady Tkachuk 1 for 1.

Good times. lol.

SheldonJPlankton

Sponsor
Oct 30, 2006
Leafs need another Kessel-inspired tank.

Trade off most of the core for lots of top picks and good prospects and then rest in the basement for a few years.

Hopefully emerge years later with a core that has compete and a team that isn't a playoff pretender.

KingDeathMetal

Jun 7, 2015
Long Island, NY
Trade him to a contending team out West for futures that include a top prospect who is ready to contribute now or next year. Goal should be two firsts and a top prospect. Then you use the cap savings and picks to acquire a cheaper top line player and depth. Then you have a skilled young player in whoever the prospect is, ready to make the team in the next year or two.

Glorydays22

Nov 21, 2011
So Sorokin for Marner, two guys on the outs on their respective teams?

No chance.....Sorokin is staying. Want no part of cry baby Marner....

It's a neat idea, and I think LL would be interested.

But there's too much term on Sorokin's contract and likely not enough on Marner's to make it work.
Even Lou wouldn't be interested. If you know anything about Lou, he's defense first. He's not moving Sorokin....especially for Marner.

Glorydays22

Nov 21, 2011
Mitch would fit the Islanders, great defensive team that needs scoring. Patrick Roy would possibly light a fire under him.
Don't have cap space and we aren't trading anyone of value like Sorokin, Dobson...

We are not a fit....Don't want a guy who can't preform in the playoffs and is a cry baby when things aren't going his way. Plus he's got 1 yr left and then he's a UFA who's already making 11.4M....Sorry not touching this.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Trade him to a contending team out West for futures that include a top prospect who is ready to contribute now or next year. Goal should be two firsts and a top prospect.

giphy.gif

Teams aren't going to lineup to hand Leafs that package for Marner at this point

Also fitting his extension limits market even more as does his NMC

Namikaze Minato

Apr 30, 2009
Beautiful B.C.
giphy.gif

Teams aren't going to lineup to hand Leafs that package for Marner at this point

Also fitting his extension limits market even more as does his NMC
Nobody is expecting a team like Chicago to give up (extremely high) picks but Vegas, Tampa, Edmonton, etc have shown they don't give a f*** and will go after who they want regardless of the (late first round) picks.

Getting a top prospect with 2 firsts isn't really the structure of a Marner deal though.

McVespa99

May 13, 2007
Some team is going to sign him for big dollars and regret it. Anything over 8.5 for him is too much. I wouldnt even give him that. The regular season is when players make money. The playoffs are when the team makes $. He is a bad investment

Reactions: Glorydays22

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
Some team is going to sign him for big dollars and regret it. Anything over 8.5 for him is too much. I wouldnt even give him that. The regular season is when players make money. The playoffs are when the team makes $. He is a bad investment
Eh I bet he can find success in the playoffs on a different team

McVespa99

May 13, 2007
Eh I bet he can find success in the playoffs on a different team
Why do you think that? He has talented players to play with now. What better situation do you see for him that would make him turn into a different player?

Namikaze Minato

Apr 30, 2009
Beautiful B.C.
Why do you think that? He has talented players to play with now. What better situation do you see for him that would make him turn into a different player?
All it took for Matt Tkachuk to go from playoff dud to a certified stud is a trade out of Canada to a quieter hockey town with way less media stress.

His numbers skyrocketed moving to Florida (and still has a lower PPG than Marner in the post season)

McVespa99

May 13, 2007
All it took for Matt Tkachuk to go from playoff dud to a certified stud is a trade out of Canada to a quieter hockey town with way less media stress.

His numbers skyrocketed moving to Florida (and still has a lower PPG than Marner in the post season)
Sorry not buying. Tkachuk is all heart so he had the will to improve. I just dont see that in Marner. It wasnt media stress that hurt Tkachuk in Calgary. It was playing with a bunch of guys with Marners heart

Reactions: Ragdoll

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad