Player Discussion Mitch Marner

Status
Not open for further replies.

Punch Drunk Loov

Gaaaaary Roberts!
Dec 6, 2011
Can you imagine negotiating his raise on July 1st? It's out of the question. Hes gotta go. Thank him for his service and request his favorite 5 destinations as we won't be offering him an extension and he can secure his 8 year contract elsewhere. Can't see him demanding to stay and forcing himself into a 7 year deal.

Farsailor

Aug 4, 2018
Wow that talk on the bench really got blown out of proportion? Does anyone really know what Willie was saying? And that it was directed towards Mitch and not Auston? Marner has been bad this series but at least he he came out and scored a goal in the third. Not the greatest build up towards game 5 this..

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Leafs fans love a scapegoat.

Mitch hasn't been great by any means but he has plenty of company that is getting a pass for some reason.
Not as many as you think, bc there are plenty of fans on AM, Keefe, Shanny and Sammy.

I agree it is not just MM but he is one of the players massively underperforming same as AM.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
The thing is, MM scored a great goal afterwards but nobody is talking about it.

That unfortunately will come with the territory as the goal was ultimately meaningless since we never used it to spur any kind of comeback

wingman75

Dec 3, 2008
The QC
Many people on Twitter who were at the game are clearing it up. Nylander was yelling at Matthews. Marner was kind of in the middle, no idea why he threw his gloves lol. Was probably just pissed they were playing like shit. But more people are coming out saying it was Matthews and Nylander going at each other, Marner was just in between them two yelling.
Regardless, how does it take 8 seasons for any of this core to show some emotion? They have been like emotionless amoeba floating through space and time. Don't care why, but it's about time.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Not as many as you think, bc there are plenty of fans on AM, Keefe, Shanny and Sammy.

I agree it is not just MM but he is one of the players massively underperforming same as AM.
We are married to AM and WN. Do you want to make the same mistake with Mitch by paying him the ridiculous money he is rumored to have asked for? Tavares can play on the 3rd line is he is willing to take peanuts.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
We are married to AM and WN. Do you want to make the same mistake with Mitch by paying him the ridiculous money he is rumored to have asked for? Tavares can play on the 3rd line is he is willing to take peanuts.

I’m actually more and more moving to JT has to go outright. He still has good qualities, and we obviously don’t have much center depth, but he just doesn’t skate well anymore. Even on the wing, I think he’s a liability. That, combined with a genera lack of intensity in his game makes him a poor fit to move down the lineup as well

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
MM is being being scapegoated, his plays deserve criticism. It is not like he is doing great on the ice.
Now to be fair, the big guys are all underperforming, so is Sammy, Keefe galaxy braining, Shanny not setting proper culture, refs, then there are defense, role players and even the equipment manager.
But the team had changed GM, the coach, support players, defense and even goalies. The question has become what is the common denominator over the past 6 years. Five players pop up plus Shanny.

It is not who’s to blame but more to do with admitting those 5 players and Shanny are not working.
Need to fix that before going in and do other stuff.

I said it when AM and Willie signed their deals. It is not the 500k-1mil they didn’t leave on the table for the Leafs that bothers me. What bothers me the most is the fact that they are not close but believe they are, and overpaying your top guys is fine but they need to produce, if they can’t produce, it doesn’t necessarily mean they are overpaid but more to do with betting on the wrong horses.
We betted on the wrong horses. And keep betting on them and hoping they will win is foolish.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
I’m actually more and more moving to JT has to go outright. He still has good qualities, and we obviously don’t have much center depth, but he just doesn’t skate well anymore. Even on the wing, I think he’s a liability. That, combined with a genera lack of intensity in his game makes him a poor fit to move down the lineup as well
I'd ask him to waive or retire. It is a shame his skating, hands and hockey IQ have jumped the shark. If there are better options, sure move on.

Scion

May 25, 2012
Mitch Marner isn't a bad player, but you can't pay two wingers over 20M and because of playoff production and size, I'm far more inclined to keep Nylander. I also think there are genuine entitlement issues with Marner that make his return untenable at this point.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
MM is being being scapegoated, his plays deserve criticism. It is not like he is doing great on the ice.
Now to be fair, the big guys are all underperforming, so is Sammy, Keefe galaxy braining, Shanny not setting proper culture, refs, then there are defense, role players and even the equipment manager.
But the team had changed GM, the coach, support players, defense and even goalies. The question has become what is the common denominator over the past 6 years. Five players pop up plus Shanny.

It is not who’s to blame but more to do with admitting those 5 players and Shanny are not working.
Need to fix that before going in and do other stuff.

I said it when AM and Willie signed their deals. It is not the 500k-1mil they didn’t leave on the table for the Leafs that bothers me. What bothers me the most is the fact that they are not close but believe they are, and overpaying your top guys is fine but they need to produce, if they can’t produce, it doesn’t necessarily mean they are overpaid but more to do with betting on the wrong horses.
We betted on the wrong horses. And keep betting on them and hoping they will win is foolish.

I agree in totality that this group does not work, but I’m less convinced of them being outright the wrong horses on an individual basis. I think there are a ton of factors and I believe AM in particular has it in him even if he most certainly deserves his fair share of the blame for what has gone down here during his Leaf tenure.

Reactions: Gabriel426

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
I feel strongly that both sides will agree to part ways in the summer.

Purely a thought experiment but I do wonder what would be required to mutually terminate the contract. He can’t be owed much money at this point.

Scion

May 25, 2012
I agree in totality that this group does not work, but I’m less convinced of them being outright the wrong horses on an individual basis. I think there are a ton of factors and I believe AM in particular has it in him even if he most certainly deserves his fair share of the blame for what has gone down here during his Leaf tenure.
It's important to identify who gives you the best chance to win because I agree that they are not all a lost cause. When you throw the baby out with the bath water you let guys like Kadri and Hyman go and we've all seen how that movie ends.

Reactions: usernamezrhardtodo
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad