OT: MLB 2020 Discussion Opening Day and beyond

Devil X

Call me Nostradamus
Jul 9, 2007
Bergen County
MLB rumors: Yankees, Reds discuss Luis Castillo trade | Are Clint Frazier, Miguel Andujar headed to Cincy?

A package around Clint and Andujar? As much as I have a soft spot for Clint, sign me up.

As one of the ONLY if not the only Reds fan on here. If and thats a big IF as the Red GM has already released a statement to the local Cincinnati media that the trade rumors are totally false. He even went a step further to say we fully expect Luis to be in the Reds rotation in 2021.

It would need to be more, a lot more. Luis Castillo is under team control for another 3 seasons. This dude is putting up nearly Ace number now and hes getting paid 4 million this year. A package for him would have to be out of this world. A combo of futures and present players.

As for the players you mentioned. Andujar, really not sure how he would fit the Reds. Suarez and Moose are both 3B. Reds young player Nick Senzel was drafted as a 3B. One of the Reds top prospects Jonathon India is a 3B and 2B. So the odds the Reds would want Andujar seems odd to me. Frazier would be a welcomed addition but you'd add a lot from there including Schmidt I am guessing.

Finally, this would burn Reds fans. The last couple years we have been told that the Reds were going to add and make the team competitive. We understand signing Bauer after a Cy Young season isnt going to happen. But then we start hearing rumors involving Gray and Castillo, then Moose, Suarez and Castellanos. Add that to the randomness of our President of Baseball Operations just randomly leaving after the season (I have a whole theory on that also) gutting this team now would kill whatever little good will the Reds owners managed to put together the last few seasons. Plus no one has done crap in the NL Central so right now even without adding the Reds are in it just as much as anyone else.

Having said all that if something does go down Id be happy to inform you on whatever you get as my depth of Reds prospect and player knowledge might be deeper then even my Devils knowledge.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Its most likely not happening, but Reds fans on reddit thinking they could get Torres for him are out to lunch.

I wouldn't totally trust a GM throwing cold water on rumors though.

Edit: apparently this all started because Bob Klapish said they talked a while back about a trade and another reporter blew it up but left the "while back" part out. Hector Gomez is just making shit up.

Last edited:

Devil X

Call me Nostradamus
Jul 9, 2007
Bergen County
Its most likely not happening, but Reds fans on reddit thinking they could get Torres for him are out to lunch.

I wouldn't totally trust a GM throwing cold water on rumors though.

Edit: apparently this all started because Bob Klapish said they talked a while back about a trade and another reporter blew it up but left the "while back" part out. Hector Gomez is just making shit up.

There is a report today the Reds asked for Torres in a Castillo trade and that’s where it stopped. Listen I get that Torres is a very good players but Castillo is also. Both have the ablility to win awards, Torres an MVP and Castillo a Cy Young.

Clam Jensen

Apr 8, 2008
NJ
As one of the ONLY if not the only Reds fan on here. If and thats a big IF as the Red GM has already released a statement to the local Cincinnati media that the trade rumors are totally false. He even went a step further to say we fully expect Luis to be in the Reds rotation in 2021.

It would need to be more, a lot more. Luis Castillo is under team control for another 3 seasons. This dude is putting up nearly Ace number now and hes getting paid 4 million this year. A package for him would have to be out of this world. A combo of futures and present players.

As for the players you mentioned. Andujar, really not sure how he would fit the Reds. Suarez and Moose are both 3B. Reds young player Nick Senzel was drafted as a 3B. One of the Reds top prospects Jonathon India is a 3B and 2B. So the odds the Reds would want Andujar seems odd to me. Frazier would be a welcomed addition but you'd add a lot from there including Schmidt I am guessing.

Finally, this would burn Reds fans. The last couple years we have been told that the Reds were going to add and make the team competitive. We understand signing Bauer after a Cy Young season isnt going to happen. But then we start hearing rumors involving Gray and Castillo, then Moose, Suarez and Castellanos. Add that to the randomness of our President of Baseball Operations just randomly leaving after the season (I have a whole theory on that also) gutting this team now would kill whatever little good will the Reds owners managed to put together the last few seasons. Plus no one has done crap in the NL Central so right now even without adding the Reds are in it just as much as anyone else.

Having said all that if something does go down Id be happy to inform you on whatever you get as my depth of Reds prospect and player knowledge might be deeper then even my Devils knowledge.

True, Passan shot down the rumors this morning as well and I saw the quote from Krall (hilarious that he’s 1 letter away from being another Nick Kroll).

Frazier/Andujar would definitely not get it done. I’d remove Andujar, add either Schmidt or Deivi, and add Oswaldo Peraza on top of one of those 2 (super high upside 20 y/o SS blocked by Torres; slated right behind Dominguez/Garcia/Schmidt in their top 10 prospects list).

Obviously Suarez is a stud, Senzel has been a top ~10 prospect in baseball for a few years now, and I know India raked at UF.

Re: your last point, someone posted this on reddit a few days ago and it gave me a chuckle and seems to reinforce what you’re saying:

“Imagine waiting years to get back to the playoffs. You watch your team fail miserably constantly and nothing good ever seems to happen. Ever. And then, slowly, over a few more years, you start to see the pieces falling into place. You see good players arrive and start to do their jobs and do them well. It's been so long since you saw a good player on your team that you had forgotten what it was like. And then more good players start to appear. You suddenly have a 3-headed monster for your starting rotation backed by a lineup that can do damage. Despite the pandemic, your team is succeeding. You're overwhelmed by the fun that you're having and how well this team is doing. It seems entirely possible that they're going to actually make it to the playoffs. And then they do. They get there. They actually get there. You're ecstatic. It's been so long since you had these feelings and you revel in them, soaking them up like a sponge that finally has use after sitting under the sink for a decade. And even though the playoffs didn't go well, and your team didn't score any runs, you can at least bask in the glory of making it to the playoffs and keeping this team together to make further pushes, as there's a drive into deep left field by Castellanos and that'll be a home run. And so that'll make it a 4-0 ballgame.”

I’ll be interested to see if the rumors start up again, though.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Welp I guess we'll find out real quickly how the Mets' new regime handles crises.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Have to fire him. Don't think there is anyway keeping him looks good.

Sandy's first statement last night sounded like they were trying to lay the groundwork to keep him. Good luck with that, I hope this morning they wake up and realize that's a pretty damn untenable position.

Satans Hockey

Nov 17, 2010
I read that espn article, good lord that guy didn't know how to take a hint. Geez. He probably has done this to numerous women considering he didn't get the hint after the 3rd text let alone sending 60 something unanswered texts.

tr83

Nope, still embarassed
Oct 14, 2013
Jersey Shore
I read that espn article, good lord that guy didn't know how to take a hint. Geez. He probably has done this to numerous women considering he didn't get the hint after the 3rd text let alone sending 60 something unanswered texts.

Thats a sign of narcissism.

Could you imagine what it would be like breaking up with him?

Reactions: Satans Hockey

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
758f687b.jpg

Reactions: NJDevs26 and tr83

RangerDoggo

The Devils have a culture of failure
Feb 3, 2016
Brooklyn via NJ, like the Nets
The stink of the Wilpons lingers on, like a fart in a couch. Here’s to not many more moments like this happening under the new regime. I actually want the Mets to be a formidable foe for once in my life.

StvBroDan

vPLAY WITH HEARTv
Oct 15, 2008
USA
Former 2nd overall. Showed lots of upside, especially in 2018, but injuries have held him back.

Had TJ surgery in 2019 so this will be his comeback year.

Risky but lots of upside if he can stay healthy. Didn't really give much up.

Edit: also him and Cole are allegedly tight.

Thanks I had no idea of his history. Sounds good. Did I Hear Robertson could be back?

StvBroDan

vPLAY WITH HEARTv
Oct 15, 2008
USA
David Robertson? Haven't read anything to that effect.

Last I heard he planned to have a "showcase" in a couple of weeks to try and get garner some interest.
Like Gardy and what he has done for the Yankees over the years, but I think the money could be better spent.

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
I haven't followed baseball in a long time, but how the hell does nobody get elected to the Hall of Fame? That just seems unfathomable for the NHL, NFL or any other sports league at this point especially when you consider the expansion across leagues in the 90's that would've produced more players and HOF candidates.

Does the baseball HOF have a cap on the number of players that can be elected in a year or is it unlimted? Guessing it's the latter, which could lead to this type of situation. Doesn't the NHL and NFL have a range of players that are to be elected each season?

Was Schilling ever accused or found to have used PED's? I don't recall him being tied to anything, but not sure. Seems like he has the stats and passes the "smell test" for a HOFer (as his career aligns with when I used to follow baseball more), so does he have a legit complaint that his post-career political ramblings could be keeping him out of the Hall?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad