Value of: Montreal Trading Down at the Draft

Qwijibo

Dec 1, 2014
The Flames are in no position to give up picks to only move up a few slots. We need more picks, not less. Many of us have told you already multiple times - we are more than happy with those that will be available at 9.
You Canadiens fans need to give up this fantasy of the Flames sending you a golden haul so you maybe don't pick IGINLA.
No Montreal fan suggested a trade with Calgary on this thread. The only Calgary trade offered up was from a Calgary fan and it was crap. And at no time did anyone mention leveraging Iginla Maybe read the thread before you go off on how Montreal fans need to stop trying to get a haul to not take Iginla.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
No Montreal fan suggested a trade with Calgary on this thread. The only Calgary trade offered up was from a Calgary fan and it was crap. And at no time did anyone mention leveraging Iginla Maybe read the thread before you go off on how Montreal fans need to stop trying to get a haul to not take Iginla.
He offers garbage like Mangiapane (small 45pt pending UFA 28yo with an overpaid 5.8M contract) and then a dime a dozen prospect with a french name and wonders why we laugh?

Qwijibo

Dec 1, 2014
He offers garbage like Mangiapane (small 45pt pending UFA 28yo with an overpaid 5.8M contract) and then a dime a dozen prospect with a french name and wonders why we laugh?
That was actually 2 different posters. But the fact remains he's going off about how Montreal fans need to stop trying to get a haul from Calgary so we don't pick Iginla when literally no Montreal fan even mentioned Calgary until the other guy offered up his crap offer. Then he chimed in with an even worse offer

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
That was actually 2 different posters. But the fact remains he's going off about how Montreal fans need to stop trying to get a haul from Calgary so we don't pick Iginla when literally no Montreal fan even mentioned Calgary until the other guy offered up his crap offer. Then he chimed in with an even worse offer
I don't get why Flames fans are so fixated on Iginla just because he's the son of Joe. Nostalgia doesn't win cups.

That said, i hope the Habs pick him if Lindstrom / Demidov / Lev are off the board

Qwijibo

Dec 1, 2014
I don't get why Flames fans are so fixated on Iginla just because he's the son of Joe. Nostalgia doesn't win cups.

That said, i hope the Habs pick him if Lindstrom / Demidov / Lev are off the board
Yeah. I've seen him play live a few times. I'd be totally OK with Montreal taking him at 5. I'd probably even be ok with them taking him over Lindstrom

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
Yeah. I've seen him play live a few times. I'd be totally OK with Montreal taking him at 5. I'd probably even be ok with them taking him over Lindstrom
I think Lindstrom has higher upside but Tij has a higher ceiling and is the type of player the Habs covet.

Not sure what they do if both are available.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
I think Lindstrom has higher upside but Tij has a higher ceiling and is the type of player the Habs covet.

Not sure what they do if both are available.

LOL

Reactions: viceroy

CTHabsfan

Jul 28, 2007
Okay that’s just crazy. There is no chance you are going to get close to that. You’re asking for multiple top end pieces. The equivalent of that right now from SJ would be like Smith, Bystedt, a couple more players, and 2 firsts.
Did you miss the part where I said, "not saying someone will, but it will take something big"? I'm sure Kent Hughes will listen ff someone wants to make a big offer to Montreal (a team with lots of draft picks and plenty of good-not-great prospects), but there's no way the Canadiens trade the 5th overall pick for a couple of mid/late 1st rounders.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
Did you miss the part where I said, "not saying someone will, but it will take something big"? I'm sure Kent Hughes will listen ff someone wants to make a big offer to Montreal (a team with lots of draft picks and plenty of good-not-great prospects), but there's no way the Canadiens trade the 5th overall pick for a couple of mid/late 1st rounders.
You expecting a high end prospect+2 firsts is what’s crazy.

Reactions: Tkachuk Norris

CTHabsfan

Jul 28, 2007
You expecting a high end prospect+2 firsts is what’s crazy.
Where did I say I was expecting a high end prospect+2 firsts? I'm stating two mid/late 1st round picks will not be enough to get Montreal to trade the fifth overall pick. The Canadiens will happily keep their pick if no one wants to offer more.

viceroy

Mar 5, 2011
Montreal suburbs

God I hope we don't go for Lindstrom or Levshunov. Bad picks I believe they'd be. Not enthusiastic over Iginla either.

I'm telling y'all we should target a true C. When Dach goes down again we'll be kicking ourselves for not getting a C this year. It would push us back another year. That's why I'd be down with moving down a couple of spots to grab Catton and get an extra asset

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
God I hope we don't go for Lindstrom or Levshunov. Bad picks I believe they'd be. Not enthusiastic over Iginla either.

I'm telling y'all we should target a true C. When Dach goes down again we'll be kicking ourselves for not getting a C this year. It would push us back another year. That's why I'd be down with moving down a couple of spots to grab Catton and get an extra asset
I think Dach will rebound. Freak injury last season. He will be the 2C.

Habs just need to draft the BPA.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
Where did I say I was expecting a high end prospect+2 firsts? I'm stating two mid/late 1st round picks will not be enough to get Montreal to trade the fifth overall pick. The Canadiens will happily keep their pick if no one wants to offer more.
You said the Lindros return. Do you know what that was?

CTHabsfan

Jul 28, 2007
You said the Lindros return. Do you know what that was?
This is what I said:

You may think two mid-firsts are fair value, but the Canadiens have plenty of picks and do not need to trade quality for quantity. If you want to know what it would take for the Canadiens to trade back think of what the Flyers traded to get Eric Lindros (not saying someone will, but it will take something big).

The 5th overall pick isn't the same as Eric Lindros, so I wouldn't expect the 5th to have the same return. I'm simply stating the Canadiens would need to receive a far better offer than "fair value" if they are moving their pick. My expectation is they will be making the 5th selection on June 28.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
This is what I said:

You may think two mid-firsts are fair value, but the Canadiens have plenty of picks and do not need to trade quality for quantity. If you want to know what it would take for the Canadiens to trade back think of what the Flyers traded to get Eric Lindros (not saying someone will, but it will take something big).

The 5th overall pick isn't the same as Eric Lindros, so I wouldn't expect the 5th to have the same return. I'm simply stating the Canadiens would need to receive a far better offer than "fair value" if they are moving their pick. My expectation is they will be making the 5th selection on June 28.
Okay but like that’s not what you said. You could have said that you wouldn’t move it for fair value and left it at that. You don’t need to say “for the Canadiens to trade back think of what the Flyers traded to get Eric Lindros” because that’s a crazy statement.

Reactions: Adam da bomb

viceroy

Mar 5, 2011
Montreal suburbs
I think Dach will rebound. Freak injury last season. He will be the 2C.

Habs just need to draft the BPA.

Dunno about Dach. We shouldn't pin our hopes on some big guy with Benoît Brunet's hospital record. That's just setting us up for failure.

Also BPA isn't a flawless solution. Getting another LD just means we get another asset with diminishing value. Criminy we can't get anyone to bite on Harris, Struble and we know these guys are going to pan out in the NHL. Like I said we're better off seeing what we can get for the 5th if Demidov ain't there(LW is a need.)

Ford Prefect

Mar 2, 2002
Montreal
Visit site
I think Habs are set on Tij Iginla. I suspect Lindstrom will be available and the Habs still pick Iginla.
He might. But I'd say that's really not going off the board either. Cayden had a great start to the regular season, but coming back from injury he did not perform well. I think 2 points in 4 playoff games. At the U18s he didn't play. Iginla on the other hand did 9-6-15 in 11 playoff games and posted 6-6-12 in 7 games at the U18s. He's been rising all year, plus he's just over a month shy of being a '25 eligible player. And sometimes you might not do anything to harm your status, just have others do so much better.

Fact of the matter is, what you read from people on here are recycling what other people's opinions are. You may be very surprised when you see how team scouts rank players. It will be interesting to see Bob's final list.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad