Online Series: More Dune from Denis Villeneuve

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
So on top of the movie that is currently being shot, looks like Denis Villeneuve will be directing a series ordered by Warner Brothers for their streaming service called Dune: The Sisterhood

Set in the universe of Frank Herbert’s epic “Dune” novel series, “Dune: The Sisterhood” is told through the eyes of a mysterious order of women known as the Bene Gesserit. Given extraordinary abilities by their mastery of the body and the mind, the Bene Gesserit expertly weave through the feudal politics and intrigue of The Imperium, pursuing plans of their own that will ultimately lead them to the enigmatic planet Arrakis, known to its inhabitants as Dune.
Villeneuve will direct the pilot with Jon Spaihts set to write. Spaihts and Villeneuve also co-wrote the screenplay for the film reboot along with Eric Roth. Villeneuve and Spaihts will executive produce with Brian Herbert, Byron Merritt and Kim Herbert for the Frank Herbert estate. Kevin J. Anderson will co-produce. News of the series is in keeping with Legendary’s plans to expand the “Dune” franchise to a multitude of platforms.

‘Dune’ Series Ordered at WarnerMedia Streaming Service, Denis Villeneuve to Direct

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
More dude just reads like too much man.

Also TIL Warner Bros is getting in the streaming game too. This is all gonna collapse someday.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
I doubt even Villeneuve can salvage a series ran by WB.

There is so much garbage today. We need a good old fashioned industey crash to flush all the crap down the drain.

Last edited:

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
I've never liked the Bene Gesserit and could do without them in Dune. I'm not excited for a series devoted to them. Maybe it'll make them interesting for once, but I won't hold my breath.

This is the first that I've heard of a Kim Herbert. Aw, she's Brian's daughter. Her only credits on IMDb are Executive Producer for the movie and this series.

Last edited:

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Dune without Arrakis seems like The Witcher without witchers (aka The Witcher: Blood Origin). I'm not sure that it's smart to bank on an IP's name instead of what it's known for.

Last edited:

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Dune without Arrakis seems like The Witcher without witchers (aka The Witcher: Blood Origin). I'm not sure that it's smart to bank on an IP's name instead of what it's known for.
I mean maybe, maybe not. I think it looks intriguing. I wouldn't mind seeing a visualization of the galaxy beyond Arrakis and Caladan

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
The Harkonnen's are still in it given the two sisters are from that family if I understand the synopsis correctly. And for space travel spice would still be required so I would not be surprised if Arrakis is part of it in some capacity. Guess we shall see to what level.

Also it could take some stuff from the Dune prequel novels, specifically Legends of Dune which is a trilogy that takes place also around 10,000 years before the events of the main Dune novel.

From wikipedia

Plot[edit]​

The series begins more than a millennium after a group of immortal, militant cyborgs calling themselves the Titans seized control of the entire universe in indestructible cymek bodies and then accidentally relinquished control to an artificial intelligence program called Omnius. Omnius and the immortal Titans rule over the 500 planets of the Synchronized Worlds with cruelty while a handful of free planets are united under the League of Nobles, a government using what resources it has to defend against machine aggression. A prominent figure in the human rebellion is Serena Butler, whose young son dies at the hands of the independent robot Erasmus and sparks the Butlerian Jihad, with humanity mounting a decisive offense against machine rule.[18] This crusade against the machines lasts for nearly a century, with much loss of human life but ending in human victory at the Battle of Corrin. The Jihad also gives rise to the Bene Gesserit, the Spacing Guild, the Sardaukar army, the Landsraad, and House Corrino, whose Padishah Emperors rule the universe for the next 10,000 years until the events of Dune.

Last edited:

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
The Harkonnen's are still in it given the two sisters are from that family if I understand the synopsis correctly. And for space travel spice would still be required so I would not be surprised if Arrakis is part of it in some capacity. Guess we shall see to what level.
That's something that's always puzzled me about the Dune universe. If spice is required for interplanetary travel and Arrakis is the only source of spice, how did anyone ever get to it in the first place?

I imagine that Arrakis will factor into the show. I'm just worried that it'll not make sense. For example, if the Bene Gesserit go to Arrakis, where the spice enhances their abilities, why did they ever leave and why did Paul's mom not seem to understand the significance of the planet and the spice to her order at the start of Dune?
Also it could take some stuff from the Dune prequel novels, specifically Legends of Dune which is a trilogy that takes place also around 10,000 years before the events of the main Dune novel.
According to Wikipedia, it's based on Sisterhood of Dune, which Brian Herbert (Frank's son) wrote in 2012.

Last edited:

Cas

Conversational Black Hole
Sponsor
Jun 23, 2020
That's something that's always puzzled me about the Dune universe. If spice is required for interplanetary travel and Arrakis is the only source of spice, how did anyone ever get to it in the first place?

I imagine that Arrakis will factor into the show. I'm just worried that it'll not make sense. For example, if the Bene Gesserit go to Arrakis, where the spice enhances their abilities, why did they ever leave and why did Paul's mom not seem to understand the significance of the planet and the spice to her order at the start of Dune?
Melange is not required for interstellar travel - melange is required for (reliable) prescience, which allows Navigators to see ahead in space and time, and thus plan safe paths between the stars with ships that have engines capable of instantaneous interstellar travel.

Humans ventured between the stars using faster-than-light and foldspace (instantaneous point-to-point travel) engines, but every so often they would run into something and die. As many as one in every ten ships was lost in this way. Once they discovered melange, and its prescient properties, the nascent Spacing Guild was able to demonstrate that they could reliably travel between the stars safely (a foldspace ship with a Guild Navigator at the helm had a near-100% success rate).

As a result, the Guild quickly developed a monopoly on interstellar travel (because only they had the secret to how to make Navigators, and computer-driven astrogation was religiously prohibited as a result of humanity's crusade against the "thinking machines"). Thus was the Imperium, in the form which we see at the beginning of Dune, formed.

The Bene Gesserit are rather fearful of the idea of becoming dependent on a single chemical substance (I believe they suspect, but cannot prove, that this is the great weakness of the Spacing Guild - almost no one knows the truth behind how a Navigator is created or why the Guild needs such immense quantities of melange; rather, they believe the Guild wants melange because of its financial value and for its health and life-extension properties).

Indeed, the Bene Gesserit are said to be able to prolong their own lives through the near-perfect control they have over their own bodies. I think a Bene Gesserit Reverend Mother could probably live for centuries. However, in the service of the Sisterhood, they do not abuse this power. As a result, they don't abuse the spice, either.

I suspect Jessica didn't think of Arrakis as being any more important to the Sisterhood as it is to any other force in the Imperium. The Spice extends life and improves health and resilience, it grants special mental powers to many actors within the Imperium, and is phenomenally rare and highly in demand, and as such is monumentally valuable, but I do not believe Jessica (or anyone else, for that matter) is aware of the special importance the Spice would have on the Kwisatz Haderach, which she only believes (hopes, fears) may be her son.

Reactions: Osprey

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad