More MVP deserving: Kuch vs Mackinnon vs McDavid?

More MVP deserving?

• Nikita Kucherov

Votes: 68 41.5%
  • Nathan Mackinnon

Votes: 57 34.8%
  • Connor McDavid

Votes: 39 23.8%

• Total voters

klefbombs shoulder

Jul 21, 2023
If matthews scores 70+ goals and 100+ points it has to be him right?

Those 3 are pacing for insane point totals, but McDavid literally had 153 points last year.

70+ goals hasnt happened in over 30 years.
100 assists hasnt happened since 1991. And something that only Gretzky, Lemieux, and Orr did is more impressive than something Nicholls, Kurri, Mogilny, and Selanne did.

TheStatican

Mar 14, 2012
100 assists hasnt happened since 1991. And something that only Gretzky, Lemieux, and Orr did is more impressive than something Nicholls, Kurri, Mogilny, and Selanne did.
Not a chance. Everyone knows Kuri and Nicholls only scored 70 thanks to Gretzky, and Mogilny and Selanne did in a year where teams were scoring a goal a game more than they do now and where powerplay scoring was more than 50% higher.

Matthews is currently on pace for 77 goals. 100 assists is obviously impressive in its own right but there is no chance that having the 14th highest asisst total in a season is historically greater than having the 5th highest goal total ever, zero.

klefbombs shoulder

Jul 21, 2023
Not a chance. Everyone knows Kuri and Nicholls only scored 70 thanks to Gretzky, and Mogilny and Selanne did in a year where teams were scoring a goal a game more than they do now and where powerplay scoring was more than 50% higher.

Matthews is currently on pace for 77 goals. 100 assists is obviously impressive in its own right but there is no chance that having the 14th highest asisst total in a season is historically greater than having the 5th highest goal total ever, zero.
I disagree. 11 of those 13 assist seasons came from one guy who broke the sport offensively. 100 assists is more impressive than 70 goals.

Crow

May 19, 2014
I was unimpressed with Matthews start to the year but this poll sucks without him at this point of the year. If he keeps up his pace he will win the hart.

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
If Matthews scores 70 he's gotta be a top 3 finalist. He's also better defensively than any of those 3 guys, maybe Nate's on par

Hellebuyck and Quinn Hughes will get some love as well I think

Reactions: LivingRentFree

Despote

Mar 21, 2023
Right now I have to say it's Matthews. The goalscoring is just too much to overlook now. We'll see where he finishes with Toronto having a tough schedule, but at 75+ goals it's his MVP.

McDavid has clearly reverted back to heavily pass-first style. He also has elite advanced defensive metrics, something Kucherov and MacKinnon don't have. I wonder how the voters would weight say a 35 goal, 140 point season vs a 55 goal, 130 point season and will McDavid garner attention for his superior defensive play.

Reactions: LivingRentFree

Dion TheFluff

Jun 22, 2015
Screenshot_20240222_131628_Gallery.jpg

Last edited:

Despote

Mar 21, 2023
One teams fan base is going to go wild for sure.

My bet is that a previous Hart winner gets left off.
If McDavid ends up taking the Ross, especially if he puts some distance between him and Kuch I fully expect Kuch to not be a finalist. Don't think he has the narrative going for him.

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad