Proposal: MTL 5OA to WSH for Ryan Leonard

HabzSauce

Jun 10, 2022
Nevermind the trade offer… No one is comfortable losing the 5th overall pick.

Since when is 5OA quantity?
I meant with the extra assets but you're right the 5th OA is the main piece here. The extra is a nice bonus/sweetener

HabzSauce

Jun 10, 2022
Do I need to point out that I'd Montreal had wanted Leonard that badly they would have used thier 1st on him last year? This thread seems beyond pointless
All these threads are pointless since nobody here is GMing in real life.

Clearly Habs wanted Reinbacher more. Tough to pass on a RD you like for a projected top 6F. That doesn't mean Habs also didn't love Leonard either.

• Haha
Reactions: Xirik

Qwijibo

Dec 1, 2014
All these threads are pointless since nobody here is GMing in real life.

Clearly Habs wanted Reinbacher more. Tough to pass on a RD you like for a projected top 6F. That doesn't mean Habs also didn't love Leonard either.
I stand by my statement. If Montreal wanted him they easily could have taken him. I don't see any reason why they'd give up far more now to get him less than a year later when there are going to be excellent players available at 5th at the draft

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Not trying to troll here but who would definitely go ahead of Leonard in this year’s draft besides MC? Lev?

Leonard is off the table. There’s not a player or pick that the Habs have that I’d trade one for one for Leonard. He was drafted 8OA in a great draft last year and crushed his D+1 year so his value has only increased.

The Caps are thirsting for top six scoring talent and Leonard is exactly that. Plus he plays a style of game that will endear him to his teammates and fans and cause other teams to loathe him — guys who can play that style and have the skill to back it up are a rare breed.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
Nah... we going going to draft Iginla. Took guts to draft Slav over Wright and Reinbacher over Michkov. I like Iggy a lot. I've been trying to nit pick his flaws and just can't find any. Hottest trending player after Celebrini and one of the youngest in this draft. Already at 185 lbs and probably tops out around 6'-1 and 200 lbs. Already has a NHL shot and makes players around him better.

Call me crazy but I would seriously consider Iggy over Demidov (if he slips). Bob is usually right... it's all over the place after Celebrini.

The job here with scouting is to pick the player who has the best D+1 and D+2. That to me is Tij.

Nah, I pass on Leonard. This draft is deeper
I like the idea of Iginla at #5 too.

Reactions: Habs Halifax

bud12

Oct 8, 2012
Not trying to troll here but who would definitely go ahead of Leonard in this year’s draft besides MC? Lev?

Leonard is off the table. There’s not a player or pick that the Habs have that I’d trade one for one for Leonard. He was drafted 8OA in a great draft last year and crushed his D+1 year so his value has only increased.

The Caps are thirsting for top six scoring talent and Leonard is exactly that. Plus he plays a style of game that will endear him to his teammates and fans and cause other teams to loathe him — guys who can play that style and have the skill to back it up are a rare breed.
Demidov would definitely go ahead of him. The 5ov pick will be a player of Leonard caliber. No point in trading the pick ++ for him.

HabzSauce

Jun 10, 2022
I stand by my statement. If Montreal wanted him they easily could have taken him. I don't see any reason why they'd give up far more now to get him less than a year later when there are going to be excellent players available at 5th at the draft
It all depends how they view Leonard. If they really like him (you can like more than one player at the same time), and you think he's gonna be better than any of the 2024 draftees then why not trade the 5th OA. He's also a year older and more developed.

Qwijibo

Dec 1, 2014
It all depends how they view Leonard. If they really like him (you can like more than one player at the same time), and you think he's gonna be better than any of the 2024 draftees then why not trade the 5th OA. He's also a year older and more developed.
Except the proposal isn't just gor the 5th OA. It's for the 5th, Winnipeg's 1st plus another young player. If they didn't like him enough to use the 5th last year I doubt they like him enough to pass on any one of the guys they'll be able to get at 5th this year AND add another 1st and a decent young player

Reactions: viceroy

McRpro

Cont. without supporting.
Aug 18, 2006
Clown World
Why would the Caps do this? Leonard was just drafted 8th last year and had a solid D+1 season. Unless they have absolutely fallen in love with a prospect available when the Habs pick and/or have unexplicably soured on Leonard there's just no chance they consider this.

Tarasenko for Rundblad back in 2010 did happen though and that trade came outta nowhere. Shocked everyone considering Rundblad was a future stud offensive defenseman....

Eegs

Jan 9, 2018
BC
I don't think you'd add anything to #5 overall.

Only way I'd see this working is if Demidov fell to 5 and WSH was very high on him and preferred him to Leonard.

None of this would happen of course

Last edited:

Doublechin

Jun 23, 2013
I think the value is there. But doubt both teams even entertain or make the offer

If Habs wanted Leonard they would have picked him last year. Unless the Caps are desperate for D, there's no benefit to them either

Reactions: Eegs

Ovechkins Wodka

Dec 1, 2007
DC
Caps say no. Only chance we trade him is if he pulls an Adam Fox and forces his way into a trade. The offer is decent value but it doesnt make sense to trade our best prospect for futures.

Lockin17

Jul 31, 2018
Caps say no. Only chance we trade him is if he pulls an Adam Fox and forces his way into a trade. The offer is decent value but it doesnt make sense to trade our best prospect for futures.
Let's say Leshunov is available at #5 ,, do you do this ?

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
Harris, Barron, Jets 1st, Mesar, Struble, (and other similar value prospects)....how is that not flexible?

The main and biggest piece here is the #5OA. The rest is bonus
Because the main piece doesn't get it done for Washington. It's not even a conversation. The rest is like you said "added bonus" if you do this deal. The added bonus are pieces you don't feel strongly about losing.

That doesn't mean Montreal should do this. But right now Washington shouldn't.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad