Recalled/Assigned: Mueller recalled, Vlasic to IR 1/2/17

Sideshow Raheem

Dec 22, 2015
Unbelievable. Mueller is ****ing garbage. There are at least two other Barracuda defensemen much, much better than him and far more deserving of a recall. Especially since it seems like the recalled defenseman will actually be playing in a game.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Ryan might as well request a trade now. It's obvious where the org stands on him.

If I were Ryan, I would definitely be upset about not getting a call up. As a kid who has been performing so well it would disappointing to see that you are not getting the recognition. And while I understand that Mueller may not play, I think it is less about that and more about the fact that more deserving players like Ryan and Heed not even getting the chance.

Maybe the organization has a reason for calling Mueller over the two. Maybe that reason even makes sense. Don't think we are going to find out. Ryan is only 23 though. He is up for a new RFA contract next year. Unless they promise him a legitimate shot at the NHL, yeah, I would ask for a trade if I were him.

Sideshow Raheem

Dec 22, 2015
Maybe the organization has a reason for calling Mueller over the two. Maybe that reason even makes sense. Don't think we are going to find out. Ryan is only 23 though. He is up for a new RFA contract next year. Unless they promise him a legitimate shot at the NHL, yeah, I would ask for a trade if I were him.

The reason is that Dougie traded a 2nd round pick to move up and select Mueller in the first round, one of the worst picks in franchise history. He is gonna keep giving this worthless sack of **** chance after chance until it becomes utterly impossible to continue denying the obvious: Mueller has never had NHL potential.

Don't look up how Anthony Mantha, the kid drafted with the pick we originally had in that draft before that awful trade, is currently doing.

CrypTic

Oct 2, 2013
If I were Ryan, I would definitely be upset about not getting a call up. As a kid who has been performing so well it would disappointing to see that you are not getting the recognition. And while I understand that Mueller may not play, I think it is less about that and more about the fact that more deserving players like Ryan and Heed not even getting the chance.

This is how I feel about Ryan and Heed. You need to reward good performance and show the players that if they play well they have a legitimate chance of making the Sharks. Both Heed and Ryan have played well. Both are RFAs who we'll need to re-sign this off season. Give them a chance.

I know that we don't have all the info but it's still frustrating as a fan. It's probably much more so to the players.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
The reason is that Dougie traded a 2nd round pick to move up and select Mueller in the first round, one of the worst picks in franchise history. He is gonna keep giving this worthless sack of **** chance after chance until it becomes utterly impossible to continue denying the obvious: Mueller has never had NHL potential.

Don't look up how Anthony Mantha, the kid drafted with the pick we originally had in that draft before that awful trade, is currently doing.

I am going to agree with you that it does look like DW messed up on trade. Mueller has shown little to no improvement since his draft year. But I am not sure if him calling up Mueller is to do with where he picked him. He has not called Goldobin this year even though he was a 1st round pick. Until the team actually chooses to ice Mueller over Heed or Ryan, I won't believe that they are still actually high on Mueller.

And yah, I know Mueller is only 21 and could improve. But honestly, he has shown little to make me feel that way.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
This is how I feel about Ryan and Heed. You need to reward good performance and show the players that if they play well they have a legitimate chance of making the Sharks. Both Heed and Ryan have played well. Both are RFAs who we'll need to re-sign this off season. Give them a chance.

I know that we don't have all the info but it's still frustrating as a fan. It's probably much more so to the players.

You'd think Sommer would have some say in the matter. Especially when he puts Heed and Ryan out on the ice the most.

Reminds of when Demers was getting scratched for Murray pretty often and Murray would get like 12 minutes of ice time and Demers would get like 19 minutes.

CrypTic

Oct 2, 2013
You'd think Sommer would have some say in the matter. Especially when he puts Heed and Ryan out on the ice the most.

Reminds of when Demers was getting scratched for Murray pretty often and Murray would get like 12 minutes of ice time and Demers would get like 19 minutes.

Ugh, I'd forgotten about that. I'm sure Sommer has some input into who gets called up but who knows how much. Probably not much. You would think that the Sharks also have some input into who gets played on the Barracuda (so Heed and Ryan getting more playing time than Mueller reflects their belief in H & R to at least a some extent) but who knows.

Lebanezer

I'unno? Coast Guard?
Jul 24, 2006
San Jose
What really confuses me about all this is, Mueller is always the first dman called up from the Barracuda even though most people agree he hasn't been their best defenseman. My initial belief is that it's because of his draft position. However, Goldobin is not afforded the same draft position bias since O'Regan, Carpenter and Labanc were all called up ahead of him. So the only conclusion we can then make is that the organization actually sees Mueller as the better defenseman than Ryan and Heed. Now, I could buy an argument if the circumstances were different, and say Dillon was injured. However, if both Vlasic and Schlemko are out, we're missing two of our more offensive dmen, so why wouldn't you call up someone other than Mueller. The Sharks are already having a hell of a time scoring, and I just don't see the reasoning behind calling up a player like Mueller, who isn't known for generating shots or shooting. It just doesn't make sense to me. Especially if Schlemko is just getting a maintenance day. Then why not reward Ryan or Heed with a couple days of NHL pay.

rangerssharks414

Mar 9, 2010
Long Island, NY

Ugh, don't remind me about Mantha. DW got hosed big time, even though it's a small sample size in the NHL. And it was two spots! In fact, that whole draft year was a disaster.

From what you guys post in the Barracuda thread, it seems like they made the wrong call.

Mattb124

Apr 29, 2011
It could be draft pedigree, but it could also be that the staff believes Mueller is more NHL ready than Ryan or Heed. It is not unprecedented.

Same with Goldobin, perhaps they do not think his game is NHL ready?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad