My resignation as a Canucks fan

DonnyNucker

Mar 28, 2017
If you guys hate me now I completely understand, but I can't support the Aquilini group anymore. They think they're still in 2011 but are at the verge of getting worse, worse, and worse. Pretty much a bigger dumpsterfire since the Oilers. All I find the Aquilini's don't care about the fans of the Vancouver Canucks with the rich history of Trevor Linden, and you would've thought the franchise would've learned from Mark Messier, but now it's basically them handing the franchise to JT Miller who has been a cancer for this team (loved him in the first year, but now he's acting like it's his team).

But after the news about Tocchet coming in JUST for JT Miller, who literally put Delia under the spot for not going to the bench in an unprofessional manner, just shows how much of a joke this franchise is. Even signing him to that dumb contract. This whole season has been a dumpster fire, and they deserve to be last place. Mind you, the Canucks need to liquidate that entire team as it stands now. I thought Boudreau was doing a great job too.

I might return if they get new ownership, get rid of Miller, but for now I am moving onto the Seattle Kraken considering I had a soft spot for them since the beginning.
Waaaa whaaaa beat it!

Canadian Canuck

Hughes4Calder
Jul 30, 2013
Kamloops BC
Lol bye. Sorry but a true fan can never just "switch teams". You may like other teams and cheer for them but actually "changing teams" is ridiculous. I'm insanely pissed off at this franchise, especially its ownership. I will not be spending a dime to support this team until get rid of their dumpster fire leadership. However, I will never stop being a fan. It's simply not possible. Even if I wanted to I can't.

Kryten

slightly regarded
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
Kootenays
I dont blame anyone for jumping ship. The team lost a bunch of fans during the late 90s as well. Continuing to be a die hard is like being radicalized with politics or religion that you have been raised in. There needs to be reflection of the evidence at hand. I have lost my die hard fandom for two months now after 30 years of never missing a game. When an owner is this much of a problem there isnt much you can hope for. The Canucks will likely always be my team only because I was born and live in this province which is a random accident.

PavelBure10

The Russian Rocket
Aug 25, 2009
Okanagan
Times are tough indeed. I admit that I haven't been invested with this team nearly as much either. I'm sick and tired of being the laughing stock of the NHL. Constantly in the tabloids for all of the wrong reasons. The whole Canuck environment is extremely toxic tight now. It will probably continue to decline before it will actually get better. Aquillini has tarnished the Canucks name by continuing to make stupid decision after stupid decision. From keeping Benning 5 years too long, to hiring identical staff in Rutherford, or letting poor Bruce Boudreau sit there for days waiting to get the guillotine. Aquillini is the true puppet master of this organization that is in shambles, and unfortunately things won't change until he sells the team. The Canucks are a very hard team to follow but I will continue to watch and show support as a fan. I just won't invest any money towards the organization until the necessary changes are made. For myself as a fan, As per Kevin Bieksa "I will go down with the ship!".

RutherPlan

Jan 2, 2022
This isn't an airport you don't have to announce your departure. All this virtue signaling leads to absolutely nothing because you will be back as soon as they're on a 3 game win streak but in the meantime you will just spend your time lurking here.

kanucks25

Chris Tanev #1 Fan
Nov 29, 2013
Surrey, BC
Why do people feel the need to proclaim this? Just do what I did and go softly into that good night.

Then when the sun rises again you can come back with no rationalization needed.

7d20f6e20f8c4a9cc99e98a1eaa51be8.jpg

RebuildinVan

Jun 25, 2017
Cheers to ya mate. I'll be sticking around....complaining alot but sticking around. Go thru all sports leagues, pretty much every franchise goes thru some degree of crap. Ours happens to be a dinosaur size pile. Its hard to avoid when rich egos are involved

DS7

Oct 9, 2013
Vancouver, BC
What's this news about Tochett only being there for JT?

In any case the team is bigger than the owners. I'll stay but I'm cutting down my viewing of this team substantially

Boeser Fan

Jun 23, 2018
All you bandwagon clowns don't come back when things start going well (even if it takes 5 plus years lol).

I want every single possible worst thing to happen to this franchise, including Pettersson laughing and buggering off asap, and Rachel Doerrie making them look awful publicly when the human rights thing picks back up(I have no actual opinion of the Doerrie situation. I wasn’t there and I don’t know what happened) until that “come to Jesus” moment for ownership.
Massive L for this part of the post. If she had a legitimate case there's no way her lawyer would let her make an @SS out of herself on Don Taylor's show.

Petey But Really Jim

SMD
Sponsor
May 3, 2021
All you bandwagon clowns don't come back when things start going well (even if it takes 5 plus years lol).

Massive L for this part of the post. If she had a legitimate case there's no way her lawyer would let her make an @SS out of herself on Don Taylor's show.
I don’t care. I said it in my own post I don’t know what happened because I wasn’t there. I just want everything that can go wrong to please go wrong for Aquilini. Is that ok with you if I “fan” my own way, or do you have some suggestions about how I can personally meet your expectations for me as a fan?

DS7

Oct 9, 2013
Vancouver, BC

That's being generous haha. Our scouting department has been purged. The farm system is empty and this team is hellbent on the short term mentality.

Huhu

Nov 28, 2021
What's this news about Tochett only being there for JT?

In any case the team is bigger than the owners. I'll stay but I'm cutting down my viewing of this team substantially
Not really sure where this is coming from but I haven't heard the whole presser. I did catch one direct question from the media on how Tocchett will handle JT since he's such an emotional player, and he said being an emotional player is great, including on the bench and motivating line mates; however it was very important to control your body language on the ice.

Not sure if he was indirectly referring to the Delia incident but he quickly pivoted by giving an example of not backchecking because you're mad at someone. (buddy, JT doesn't back check at all)

Reactions: DS7

Steamer

Jul 12, 2009
In the nosebleeds
I hear ya perfectly. All the stooges will stick with the Slum Lords and Mr. Charm, JR, but I intend to drift as I did after Bure's hold out in 1995. I didn't become hard core again until the West Coast Express. I can remember hearing scalpers selling tickets below cost on the way to the auto show around 2000. I won't give up on paying attention completely, but I doubt I will watch more than a few minutes here and there on tv. I became a Blackhawk fan first in the mid 60's and burned my cap after the Kyle Beach story came out. I wasn't a sports guy so I watched, but didn't follow hockey through my teens, but when Smyl, Gradin and Fraser broke into the league in 1978-79 I became a hard core Canuck fan. I have been through all this crap over the years and this is by far the lowest point. You don't treat people they way they treated BB. It was not only classless and uncalled for, it was mean. This organization reflects the values of it's owners and they are low on the pole of human evolution when it comes to interpersonal relations, not to mention their reputation as Slum Lords and Slum Developers. First it was Keenan, then Torts and now Tochett, it will be entertaining to watch the sound bites, but unless they draft Bedard, this team isn't making the playoffs anytime soon. The idea that the coach who has the second highest winning percentage in NHL history couldn't get them to the playoffs and Tocchet can, is a bet only a loser like Tocchet would make. Good luck too you. I wish the Whitecaps weren't a joke too. But there are lots of entertaining sports teams to watch. Go Kraken.

Reactions: Interior Cascadian

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
I toyed with the idea publicly too.

Eh, I hold no ill will for bailing on the team. I do for making a whole thread (which I am posting this in) however.

On a different note, does anyone know one of Aquilini's girlfriends, who can record him saying something horribly racist? That's the only forced sale of a sports team I can remember presently.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I toyed with the idea publicly too.

Eh, I hold no ill will for bailing on the team. I do for making a whole thread (which I am posting this in) however.

On a different note, does anyone know one of Aquilini's girlfriends, who can record him saying something horribly racist? That's the only forced sale of a sports team I can remember presently.
FA isn’t the sole owner. It’s the family. So even if what you are hoping for happened FA would be removed by his family from team operations and they would continue to operate the team.

Reactions: mathonwy

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Maybe they have a horrible, horrible group chat they're all in?

I mean the only “forced” sales or those that were highly encouraged following some disturbing information were Richardson of the nfl Panthers, Sterling of the nba Clippers, Sarver of the nba Suns. Common denominator is that their ownership stake was theirs not part of a family like the Aquilinis.

Seattle Totems

Apr 14, 2010
I dont blame anyone for jumping ship. The team lost a bunch of fans during the late 90s as well. Continuing to be a die hard is like being radicalized with politics or religion that you have been raised in. There needs to be reflection of the evidence at hand. I have lost my die hard fandom for two months now after 30 years of never missing a game. When an owner is this much of a problem there isnt much you can hope for. The Canucks will likely always be my team only because I was born and live in this province which is a random accident.
I don't think they lost fans in late 90s. Fans stopped going to games but they were still very engaged unlike now. Fans were pissed because the team brought in the most hated rival player and coach and then watched the two them conspire against players like Linden, and Gino who were extremely popular and oust talent like Martin Gelinas. The dysfunction is much the same with this regime.

The fans came back after the cancers were run out of town and Burke was hired. The problem with the franchise now is that a clown owns the team.

I don't disagree with your sentiment though. I don't want to cheer for another team. I just simply can't follow this team as long the owner meddles and chases big names. The owner refuses to accept that a rebuild and long term commitment to winning is the only way out of this. If he wants to take his ball and go home I'm not playing.

Reactions: 3rd Sedin

3rd Sedin

Dec 15, 2010
Regina
30 years of diehard fandom here and I hear ya brother. The ownership of this team makes me sick, and the crap at the top of this mountain just flows down to the bottom. There’s more important things in life and when the average poster on this board could literally do a better job than management, it makes this team more frustrating than fun to cheer for.

I’m getting surprisingly close to the tipping point of not necessarily cheering for another team, but just blocking all related Canucks content. I think I’m waiting for the Nucks to screw up the Horvat trade, for Kuz to walk away, and then to have Tochett coach them into the 10th draft pick and then I’ll be done for a year or two.

Reactions: Gurn and Steamer

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad