Proposal: Nash NJ offseason

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
IMO both are the problem. Mercer has lots of value as a cost-controlled RFA and this pick has quite high chance to also become an asset with an excellent quality/salary ratio. And I don't believe Saros is .915 SV% goalie behind our defense.
If your defense is worse than ours in Nashville, then yikes... it has been a long long time since we had good defense in Nashville, that reputation is definitely from a bygone era. Saros and even going back to Rinne have been carrying the team through these poor defensive years.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Assuming he cares about being a #1 over the long-term, seeks that range of money, and isn't a "I just want to spend my entire career in Nashville" type, it would be very naive of him not to ask for a NMC/NTC. I'd be shocked really, and if he signed a long-term contract without one would probably expect it followed by news of an Askarov trade.
I believe he's a "I just want to spend my entire career in Nashville" type (or a "I want to follow in the footsteps of Rinne" type), and you will see a contract extension with no NMC. He may get some weak NTC protection in there, but that's it. Askarov will still be looked at as the future hope in goal even after Saros is re-signed. Askarov hasn't really shown enough to get a strong enough trade offer yet from another team either. A Saros/Askarov tandem will be an asset for the Preds for the next few years. Then we'll see how Saros ages, how Askarov progresses, and if or when expansion appears on the horizon. Lots of time to wait this one out.

MVP Zacha

Feb 8, 2012
Kansas
imo the devils have four untouchables (and most devils fans agree):
- hischier
- j.hughes
- l.hughes
- nemec

every other player from a team perspective can be discussed in trade proposals.

now we will enjoy offers like gallagher for bratt ++ :sarcasm:
Don't forget Curtis Lazar.

Reactions: Forge

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
You do realize that’s a Preds fan that proposed it, right. You also realize that Saros has one more year on his contract, right? The Devils aren’t giving up both a top 10 pick and Mercer. If that’s the cost, that just means Trotz doesn’t want to trade Saros.
Fair enough. It won’t cost less than Mercer.

Holtz + 2nd buys not much. Maybe someone like Skinner level.

The Preds are a playoff team and Jersey isn’t. That is their elite starting goalie and Holtz plays a 4th line role if he’s on Nashville. Or he’s with Tommasio playing AHL.

HugeInTheShire

You may not like me but, I'm Huge in the Shire
Mar 8, 2021
Alberta

The Preds are a playoff team and Jersey isn’t. That is their elite starting goalie and Holtz plays a 4th line role if he’s on Nashville. Or he’s with Tommasio playing AHL.
I don't think he'd be in the AHL
On Nashville only Forsberg, O'Reilly, Josi, Nyquist and Novak scored more goals than Holtz did this year.

I have no idea what the value is for Saros but Holtz likely has more value in the real world than he does here.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor

I think that's likely a pass for NJ then. Saros is coming off an ok year and an ok playoff. What he may have done in the past is helpful to a new team only insofar as it translates into the future. Maybe he rebounds going forward but he's not at an age where his underlying ability will improve and it might start to erode a bit depending upon his health. He will need a contract that kicks in after 30 and I doubt he signs some sort of team friendly deal. It makes the most sense for these guys looking for that big UFA deal to stay with their team who will likely be most willing to take care of them given the past performance. A new team shouldn't pay anything for a past performance that didn't benefit them.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017

Sadly, Holtz probably would have been sent to the AHL if he was on Nashville this year, just like Tomasino and Parssinen were. Just by virtue of being waiver-exempt. Not by his own short-coming particularly, rather just because the organization preferred older tweener types of players to round out the roster (Jankowski, Smith, McCarron, Sherwood) over younger NHL-ready prospects.

Hard to say for next season... but still being waiver exempt wouldn't bode well for Holtz, from what we've seen so far under Brunette/Trotz. :(

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
Sadly, Holtz probably would have been sent to the AHL if he was on Nashville this year, just like Tomasino and Parssinen were. Just by virtue of being waiver-exempt. Not by his own short-coming particularly, rather just because the organization preferred older tweener types of players to round out the roster (Jankowski, Smith, McCarron, Sherwood) over younger NHL-ready prospects.

Hard to say for next season... but still being waiver exempt wouldn't bode well for Holtz, from what we've seen so far under Brunette/Trotz. :(
Andrew Brunette was Alex Holtz' biggest supporter in NJD so that doesn't quite check out.

In fact, Holtz spent the year in the NHL instead of the AHL so he could work 1 on 1 with Brunette.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
I think that's likely a pass for NJ then. Saros is coming off an ok year and an ok playoff. What he may have done in the past is helpful to a new team only insofar as it translates into the future. Maybe he rebounds going forward but he's not at an age where his underlying ability will improve and it might start to erode a bit depending upon his health. He will need a contract that kicks in after 30 and I doubt he signs some sort of team friendly deal. It makes the most sense for these guys looking for that big UFA deal to stay with their team who will likely be most willing to take care of them given the past performance. A new team shouldn't pay anything for a past performance that didn't benefit them.
There are always other goalies to acquire. NJ seems to want the wildly inconsistent and older Markstrom for some odd reasons.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
Less commitment I think.
Saros is 28.

Why does NJ want an older rental goalie? Bad goalie play just derailed your season to the tune of a 10th overall pick in a weak draft.

You should have been in the playoffs.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Saros is 28.

Why does NJ want an older rental goalie? Bad goalie play just derailed your season to the tune of a 10th overall pick in a weak draft.

You should have been in the playoffs.
See Smitty’s post above. They have a log jam of young goalies and I don’t think their team building plan includes paying a goalie $8.5-$9 per. They even asked for retention on Markstrom. My guess is they figure one or more make the full time jump in thr next three years so they are looking for a stopgap more than a top dollar guy.

Reactions: Smitty426

Smitty426

Jun 25, 2006
Jersey
See Smitty’s post above. They have a log jam of young goalies and I don’t think their team building plan includes paying a goalie $8.5-$9 per. They even asked for retention on Markstrom. My guess is they figure one or more make the full time jump in thr next three years so they are looking for a stopgap more than a top dollar guy.
Sons, it does make sense as you say. Think back to TDL JM would have been a 2+ yr piece. Limp into the playoffs maybe etc etc. Mercer payday, Luke up next. Honestly try and get some stability on left side D (smart trade, maybe mcnabb or similar)

Reactions: My3Sons

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
Sons, it does make sense as you say. Think back to TDL JM would have been a 2+ yr piece. Limp into the playoffs maybe etc etc. Mercer payday, Luke up next. Honestly try and get some stability on left side D (smart trade, maybe mcnabb or similar)
Filip Gustafsson for 2 years is something I like a lot

Reactions: Smitty426

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
Which blows my mind because outside of Evangelista in Nashville he seemed to want to do anything but play a young guy.
They worked very closely together all of last year. It's most of why Holtz is suggested. Potentially a swap of prospects could make sense as a part of a larger trade

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
They worked very closely together all of last year. It's most of why Holtz is suggested. Potentially a swap of prospects could make sense as a part of a larger trade
I'd say based on the comments from today that Tomasino is definitely going to be there for someone to pick up. He was on pace for 40p even with Brunette not wanting to play him.

Reactions: Dadof5boys

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
I'd say based on the comments from today that Tomasino is definitely going to be there for someone to pick up. He was on pace for 40p even with Brunette not wanting to play him.
Tomasino+Askarov for Holtz+10th overall would be my blockbuster proposal as a devils fan, or at least the base of it.

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
Only way I see Askarov being included in any deal is if its for a center especially until we know what the outcome with Saros is.
Oh yeah I doubt Askarov gets moved for sure.

Just kinda throwing values off the dome

Holtz worth slightly more than Tomasino
Askarov worth slightly more than 10th overall or so

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Andrew Brunette was Alex Holtz' biggest supporter in NJD so that doesn't quite check out.

In fact, Holtz spent the year in the NHL instead of the AHL so he could work 1 on 1 with Brunette.
Not sure it’s the same thing for an assistant tasked with working with younger players vs a head coach tasked with winning hockey games? Or how much of what happened in Nashville was Trotz and not Brunette. But anyway, unless Holtz was very hard-working, defensively consistent, and capable of playing physically, I’m not sure what would have been different for him than it was for say Tomasino.

But that’s milk spilled under the bridge now anyway; hopefully the Preds will have learned from that mistake and take a different approach next season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad