Nashville Predators have a mix of rookies and NHL-ready prospects at pro level

HF Article

Nov 16, 2005

The Nashville Predators have traditionally been a team that appears to be both on the verge of a rebuild and getting ready for a championship run. This is mirrored by their AHL and ECHL prospects, who could be considered phenomenal fits for the system run by the Predators but are also a little weaker in terms of talent compared to other teams.

Regardless, it is indisputable that they have a few players that are waiting for the NHL lockout to end in order to make the jump from the Milwaukee Admirals to the Preds full time. On the defensive end it is clear that Ryan Ellis is ready to crack the lineup once the injury to his wrist is fully healed.… read more

More...

worstfaceoffmanever

These Snacks Are Odd
Jun 2, 2007
Fargo, ND
Where the **** are our elite prospects ? ... We can't even seem to draft them even when we trade away decent players for picks.

We don't need elite prospects, we need elite players. Shea Weber was not an elite prospect initially. Pekka Rinne never was. Roman Josi wasn't, either, but he could turn into a top-pairing defenseman.

Nashville's ability to hit home runs with middle round picks simply shows that you don't need to suck for ten years to get good players. Look where all of the "elite prospects" have gotten Edmonton so far. Hall, Nugent-Hopkins, and Eberle are just going to waste on a perennial cellar-dweller.

Hockeyfever

Jan 5, 2012
I think people are going to be surprised how well Watson does. He is very versatile and I think he will do well in the NHL.

Seth Lake

Jun 28, 2005
Nashville, TN
Josi, Ellis, and Blum are the closest we're ever gonna get. Smith and Wilson have solid potential too. We don't have any "elite" guys though.

Josi and Ellis each have an elite skill, but Blum I'd put at best in the hall of very good.

Smith is struggling this season and has Pekka and Mase in front of him and Hellberg knocking on the door from behind. I'm not sure Smith is ever going to get an opportunity.

Wilson doesn't have the skating ability to be an elite player, nor does he have the willingness to lower his shoulder consistently enough to be a power forward. Until he finds that balance in his game, he will continue to linger on the edge of breaking out.

The one prospect that hasn't been mentioned yet is Mattias Ekholm. He's won Rookie of the Year and Defenseman of the Year awards in the Swedish Elite League in back to back seasons and is adjusting to the North American game in Milwaukee right now. I think *if* NHL hockey is played this season that he will be one of the first recalls should a need develop on defense.

Overall though, the Predators don't draft star players. They draft safe players with untapped potential that they know will fit their systems and style over the long haul, but whom also have a skill or two that they can polish as the prospect develops. Our last draft class has a lot of diamonds in the rough that carry with them a lot of potential to be realized...

NSHPreds1835

Glads/Preds
May 24, 2011
Monroe GA
We don't need elite prospects, we need elite players. Shea Weber was not an elite prospect initially. Pekka Rinne never was. Roman Josi wasn't, either, but he could turn into a top-pairing defenseman.

Nashville's ability to hit home runs with middle round picks simply shows that you don't need to suck for ten years to get good players. Look where all of the "elite prospects" have gotten Edmonton so far. Hall, Nugent-Hopkins, and Eberle are just going to waste on a perennial cellar-dweller.

The Oilers will likely be a dangerous team for years to come with those guys + now Yakupov in the mix. They have the offensive threats perhaps now they just need to work on their D or goalie situation.

TootooTrain

Sandpaper
Jun 12, 2010

Props go to the amazing scouting staff. The ability to turn a 2nd, 3rd, or 4th round draft pick into an NHL player is far more valuable than getting the "right" guy in the 1st round which is hit or miss much of the time. Yes there haven't been alot of high-ceiling players go through the system lately, but almost every one of them have a solid foundation to which they can build upon and evolve in the right environment. This organization has done a fantastic job on draft day the last few years if you ask me.

I think people are going to be surprised how well Watson does. He is very versatile and I think he will do well in the NHL.

I've been preaching this kid for a while. All effort all the time.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad