Nashville Predators Hockey Talk 2023-2024 II

Status
Not open for further replies.

wmupreds

Dec 15, 2022
you are still left with Josi doing some increasingly slow crazy move at, and turning the puck over at the blue line time after time that always results in a goal at least 2 times a game that no one ever talks about ! i swear whenever the other team scores I see 59 out there , he always gets a pass . I mean would it hurt this guy to lift every now and then this guy is skin and bones. getin slower I might add. Lauzon is startin to look like a French Scott Stevens some nights ! While the other guys are tip toen through the tulips. So while were throwing out the Flowers , lets keep our guns.
If you think Josi is a major problem with this team and Lauzon is a positive, you've lost the plot.

Reactions: beardawg

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Well, it's happening. Our nightmare scenario(unless you want to tank). Over the 25 years I've been watching hockey I've seen it happen to many other goalies but never one of ours. This is the Good Goalie Suddenly Sucks Syndrome.

Time to give Lanky the net for a bit and see what happens. Maybe Saros gets it back, I dunno, but it sure is brutal to watch

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Well, it's happening. Our nightmare scenario(unless you want to tank). Over the 25 years I've been watching hockey I've seen it happen to many other goalies but never one of ours. This is the Good Goalie Suddenly Sucks Syndrome.

Time to give Lanky the net for a bit and see what happens. Maybe Saros gets it back, I dunno, but it sure is brutal to watch
Yeah don't know what the solution is but letting him play through it doesn't seem to be working.

ShagDaddy

Nov 24, 2021
The Boro
There are days I think I’d rather lick both posts of a 9volt battery than watch the Preds play hockey.

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Four or more allowed in ---
11 of 32 for Saros
3 of 8 for Lankinen
0 of 1 for Askarov.

Tonight is 18 of 32 starts by Saros allowing 3+ .... Lanks has 6 of 8 ... our goaltending tandem giving up 3+ in 60% of their starts.
I don't think anyone is gonna argue that Lankinen is a big upgrade over Saros, just that it's time to give Lankinen a chance to see how he performs when he's getting 4 out of every 5 starts. Who knows maybe he will find a groove that he can't find playing once every two weeks.

Right now he can't possibly be much worse.

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
Four or more allowed in ---
11 of 32 for Saros
3 of 8 for Lankinen
0 of 1 for Askarov.

Tonight is 18 of 32 starts by Saros allowing 3+ .... Lanks has 6 of 8 ... our goaltending tandem giving up 3+ in 60% of their starts.
I think the bigger issue is 4 of the last 5 for saros. It had been a VERY rough patch. This is why many people are struggling to stand by him at the moment. Every goalie will have bad stretches. A couple throw away games. 4 games out of 5 with 5 goals against though?

There has been some flukey goals off of defenders, lazy defense, etc in here without a doubt. It isnt 100% Saros. There has also been some bad goaltending

Last edited:

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
Pros:

Depth scoring did something last night.
Carrier, Tomasino, Guiranov all with goals. McCarron with a pair of assists.
Getting SOG from the depth forwards that we need to be getting SOG from (Novak, Tomasino, Evangelista)
Guiranov hasnt been noticeably bad.

Cons:
The goals against are frustrating. A mixed bag of wtf. Poor coverage, flukey bounces, timid goaltending, etc.
Glass - first game back in but this has not been a good year from him. Hope he starts turning it back around but not a good start.
Schenn seems to be slowing down every game.
Fabbro is frustrating to watch sometimes. He just seems to lack any confidence.

101st_fan

I taught Yoda
Oct 22, 2005
Near where sand and waves meet.
I think the bigger issue is 4 of the last 5 for saros. It had been a VERY rough patch. This is why many people are struggling to stand by him at the moment. Every goalie will have bad stretches. A couple throw away games. 4 games out of 5 with 5 goals against though?

There has been some flukey goals off of defenders, lazy defense, etc in here without a doubt. It isnt 100% Saros. There has also been some bad goaltending

Neither goaltender is doing well over their last five or so starts. Lanks last five starts are 3,4,3,5,3 goals allowed. Saros last five 5,5,0,5,5. For the season they are each allowing 4+ in over 30% of their starts .... they are each allowing 3+ in 60%. Our starting goalie has allowed under three goals in just 2 of the last 11 games ... the Saros shutout against the Hawks and Askarov's lone NHL start.

Last night we saw a Ducks player emerge from the box and get a clean one on one against Saros ... total failure by all six players on the ice. Saros on breakaways has never been his strong suit during regulation while somehow he does fairly well in shootouts. The first goal allowed was simply getting Saros moving laterally and he opened the five hole wide. Step one in that chain was a horrible powerplay ... step two was not accounting for the player coming from the box and letting him run amok behind all five skaters ... step three was Saros getting beaten badly.

Last edited:

AintLifeGrand

Burnin Jet-A
Apr 8, 2009
GreatestSnowOnEarth
Trading him at his absolute lowest value is brilliant strategy :eyeroll:
His value may not be higher than it is now- he looks cooked

I broker multi million dollar assets as part of my day job where I discern dynamic market environments and advise clients with actionable decisions to maximize asset value.

The old paradigm normally rings true “ if you sit on the fence for too long all youre going to get is a sore ass”

Reactions: Southstarpreds

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
Neither goaltender is doing well over their last five or so starts. Lanks last five starts are 3,4,3,5,3 goals allowed. Saros last five 5,5,0,5,5. For the season they are each allowing 4+ in over 30% of their starts .... they are each allowing 3+ in 60%. Our starting goalie has allowed under three goals in just 2 of the last 11 games ... the Saros shutout against the Hawks and Askarov's lone NHL start.

Last night we saw a Ducks player emerge from the box and get a clean one on one against Saros ... total failure by all six players on the ice. Saros on breakaways has never been his strong suit during regulation while somehow he does fairly well in shootouts. The first goal allowed was simply getting Saros moving laterally and he opened the five hole wide. Step one in that chain was a horrible powerplay ... step two was not accounting for the player coming from the box and letting him run amok behind all five skaters ... step three was Saros getting beaten badly.
Cant disagree that neither goalie is doing stellar but in a bubble i take 3,4,3,5,3 over 5,5,0,5,5 any day. The team for sure isnt helping either. The team is averaging 3.10 goals per game so it is a bit more of a horse race but better chance of getting more wins out of those couple games or atleast some OT losses. Either way this isnt sustainable and maintaining a spot in the wildcard. Somethings gonna have to give

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
Our next two games are back to backs so Saros almost certainly gets another chance here soon. If his next start is bad again I think you try and ride Lankinen into the All Star Break and hope that Saros can get it back after that.

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
His value may not be higher than it is now- he looks cooked

I broker multi million dollar assets as part of my day job where I discern dynamic market environments and advise clients with actionable decisions to maximize asset value.

The old paradigm normally rings true “ if you sit on the fence for too long all youre going to get is a sore ass”
Thanks for the advice, Ellis. Let me know what kind of deal you get from Hans.

bdub24

iNsErT bAnNeR jOkE hErE
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2013
La la land
You all are so much brighter than me stats wise, but every goalie has to overcome flukey goals by stopping what he should stop, when he should stop them. Sometimes, even the flukey ones. Sometimes even ones he shouldn’t be able to stop. Saros is starting to remind me of Ellis. His size was only a concern when his speed and reflexes slowed

Reactions: PredsV82

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
The "slow start" is certainly morphing towards an "off year" for Saros so far. But I think his track record still argues for patience overall. If we can ride out an "off year" while still somehow making the playoffs or at least hanging in the race all season, wow, I would not have predicted that at all. So it's not the end of the world. Maybe it even saves us a little $$$/term on his contract extension.

Reactions: bdub24

Top 6 Spaling

Jun 23, 2010
Smashville
As always, it all depends on the return. Given his consistently fantastic play for years, I'd hope other teams wouldn't dramatically reduce their valuation of Saros over one rougher start to a season. If we can get a 1st+ for him, or even better a young #1C prospect, I think you have to entertain it at this point, but only Trotz knows what other teams are willing to offer. If it's a 3rd or something, you obviously stand pat. Trotz isn't doing his due diligence if he isn't taking calls though, IMO.

It's possible Brunette's system gives up shots that Saros is worse at stopping and there is just a misfit in skills there. It's possible his confidence is shot after trade rumors. It's possible he was best friends with the guys we let go and is just in a rut with satisfaction with the team and it's impacting his play. Compared to other positions, goalie feels much harder to explain and predict progression/regression (I played it through high school/college and it is just a weird position).

Reactions: bdub24

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
You all are so much brighter than me stats wise, but every goalie has to overcome flukey goals by stopping what he should stop, when he should stop them. Sometimes, even the flukey ones. Sometimes even ones he shouldn’t be able to stop. Saros is starting to remind me of Ellis. His size was only a concern when his speed and reflexes slowed
This last game had some real flukey stuff (McD and Fabbro redirects), defense lapses (free player behind the defense on our expiring powerplay), and a snipe - granted i think saros is playing pretty low/deep into the goal but that may just be due to his lack of size. He started the game absorbing some shots and i thought yeh good start. Not giving off rebounds and he doesmt look to be fighting it. Then the defense killed him. Not saying he couldnt of stopped 'em. Just the defense put him in a less than desirable position.

He slid too far out on the last goal and couldnt get back in time. Poor defense started the whole thing though. But that's where being the eraser comes in.

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
Yeah it's maybe not fair but NHL goalies have to make saves on goals that aren't necessarily their fault. I'm usually one to defend Saros when he has a rough game or two but this stretch has just been brutal even if it isn't entirely his fault.

As far as what this means for Saros long term I'm stilling willing to bet on it just being a blip. He had been playing pretty well since Thanksgiving until he gave up those goals in the Dallas game. For what it's worth Pekka had similar struggles finding his game in the 15-16 season (his stats were better in absolute terms but about the same compared to league average) and rebounded well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad