New Head Coach search

Status
Not open for further replies.

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
Brindy AND Sullivan are pipe dreams at this point, we’ll be debating Berube, Evason and whatever personal friend Fitz actually decides to hire all next season.

I don't know, I think Dubas could consider letting Sullivan walk and bringing in a guy of his own. It will be interesting to see how he plays that card if they end up missing the postseason. He'll be treading lightly due to Crosby I'm sure, but Sid's another guy who seems like he'll be loyal to his organization to a fault.

Reactions: Bleedred

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
I have talked myself into Jay Leach as a good option.

As have I. Seems like a guy who has worked his way up the ranks, assistant and head coaching jobs in AHL (all with winning records) and now working through as an assistant with Seattle. Imagine he would be motivated in getting his first NHL head coaching job.

Seems like he had some interviews last year as well, so he should be open to things again this year as well.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
I don’t know why anyone who’s watched this team this year thinks a disciplinarian would be a bad thing? You guys probably wouldn’t have wanted Burns or Lemaire here either lol

Obviously they need better structure too but they almost can’t help but have that unless Fitz and the analytics really are running the show re: system and tactics

MasterofGrond

No, I'm not serious.
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2009
Rochester, NY
I don’t know why anyone who’s watched this team this year thinks a disciplinarian would be a bad thing? You guys probably wouldn’t have wanted Burns or Lemaire here either lol

Obviously they need better structure too but they almost can’t help but have that unless Fitz and the analytics really are running the show re: system and tactics
Completely different era of the game with a completely different roster, obviously. I'm happy to be proven wrong, but I don't think a disciplinarian is what is going to get the best out of this roster as constructed.

Reactions: Brooklyndevil

ZYXWVUT

Feb 26, 2024
hmmm, i can get onboard with the idea of jay leach. but i just dont see it not being a veteran retread. although look at the oilers, they took a shot on a young up-and-comer. another name i would throw out there is mike vellucci.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Completely different era of the game with a completely different roster, obviously. I'm happy to be proven wrong, but I don't think a disciplinarian is what is going to get the best out of this roster as constructed.
The game being tactically different has zero to do with enforcing at least near universal accountability and standards.

And most of our ‘talent’ have been the biggest offenders re: carelessness, mistakes and brain dead bullshit

MasterofGrond

No, I'm not serious.
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2009
Rochester, NY
The game being tactically different has zero to do with enforcing at least near universal accountability and standards.
I don't think you need a disciplinarian coach to expect accountability from your players.

Maybe we're just disagreeing on what the actual definition of a disciplinarian is, but my definition has, broadly speaking, negative connotations.

Reactions: Guttersniped

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
they are at the point where the entire coaching staff needs to go, right?
Maybe

Chris Taylor is already gone, because that’s Ruff’s boy. I guess they just didn’t wanna replace another assistant in-season cause then they would have had to bring someone else in, after already promoting one of them to head coach.

Rogalski should be gone, but I don’t trust BrodeurClemmensen to do anything with the goalie department, other than play a specific goalie 5 or 6 of the next 7 games.

Greene needs to be Peter Horachek’d and not Alain Nasreddine’d.

I’m not sure about McGill.

Brylin is probably fine. If anybody him and McGill are probably fine to come back.

Reactions: Guadana

NJDfan86

Dec 29, 2021
I think its pretty clear you have to give the new coach free reign on the staff - if you don't you are likely limiting interest in the role and your own opportunity to start fresh by keeping stale thinking in house.

Some of the organizational lifers like Brylin can be reassigned.

Reactions: MasterofGrond

Nico13

Nov 29, 2021
Switzerland
Little charade for the fun.

There is a Stanley Cup winner coaching in Europe.

And he coached Fitz in the late 90's.

And he is a disciplinarian :sarcasm:

Who is he?

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Little charade for the fun.

There is a Stanley Cup winner coaching in Europe.

And he coached Fitz in the late 90's.

And he is a disciplinarian :sarcasm:

Who is he?
Bob Hartley?

Awww hellllllll nawwwwww.

He’s always been shit.

Wait, or is it Marc Crawford? He sucks.

And multiple player abuse claims about him. f*** that shit.

Reactions: My3Sons

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
Jay Leach coaches the defense in Seattle right? They have some of the lowest xGA's in the league the last 2 years, so there's that. Maybe he could be an option as a good tactics coach?

Don't forget, he's married to Kathryn Tappen too. She's from NJ and works for NHLN again, could be a small thing that we look over but could play big time if he's offered the job or an interview.

Reactions: nugg and My3Sons

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
I think its pretty clear you have to give the new coach free reign on the staff - if you don't you are likely limiting interest in the role and your own opportunity to start fresh by keeping stale thinking in house.

Some of the organizational lifers like Brylin can be reassigned.
No coach has had free reign on his staff here since maybe Lemaire in 1994? Lou always had to have a mole in the room, I doubt Shero gave a first time head coach staff autonomy and Fitz certainly didn’t with Lindy, unless you believe he magically wanted guys like Nasreddine and even Brunette on his staff lol…I don’t even think Green was a Lindy choice for that matter.

Last edited:

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Don't forget, he's married to Kathryn Tappen too. She's from NJ and works for NHLN again, could be a small thing that we look over but could play big time if he's offered the job or an interview.
I think they’re divorced and have been for quite some time.

I’d have to imagine Jay would have wanted to choke Roenick to death after making comments about wanting to bang his wife on TV.

Reactions: My3Sons

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
I think they’re divorced and have been for quite some time.

I’d have to imagine Jay would have wanted to choke Roenick to death after making comments about wanting to bang his wife on TV.

Ah, I had no clue. They do have 3 kids together so maybe an East Coast move helps with seeing them way more since I'm assuming they're with KT and see Leach when they can, don't wanna assume about that like I did with them still being together but yeah lol

NJDfan86

Dec 29, 2021
No coach has had free reign on his staff here since maybe Lemaire in 1994? Lou always had to have a mole in the room, I doubt Shero gave a first time head coach staff autonomy and Fitz certainly didn’t with Lindy, unless you believe he magically wanted guys like Nasreddine and even Brunette on his staff lol…I don’t even think Green was a Lindy choice for that matter.

And how did that work out for the team? Fitz is staring down a pink slip if he squanders another year here, he seems like a sharp enough guy to understand that they need to get the hire right and that the time for half measures is over.

There will likely be some folks with connections to the FO and not the coach that might get some consideration - not all coaches have a stable of assistants ready to go.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
And how did that work out for the team? Fitz is staring down a pink slip if he squanders another year here, he seems like a sharp enough guy to understand that they need to get the hire right and that the time for half measures is over.

There will likely be some folks with connections to the FO and not the coach that might get some consideration - not all coaches have a stable of assistants ready to go.
And you think Fitz believes one of the problems is hand-picking his coach's assistant? Especially when everyone and their grandmother wishes one of the previous assistant picks was the head guy now. Guys want the buck to stop with them more, not less when under pressure - if there's even any internal pressure on Fitz.

If Fitz just picks another one of his buddies for the head spot, it probably won't even matter if he also picks his assistant.

NJDfan86

Dec 29, 2021
And you think Fitz believes one of the problems is hand-picking his coach's assistant? Especially when everyone and their grandmother wishes one of the previous assistant picks was the head guy now. Guys want the buck to stop with them more, not less when under pressure - if there's even any internal pressure on Fitz.

If Fitz just picks another one of his buddies for the head spot, it probably won't even matter if he also picks his assistant.

I think Fitz is smart enough to acknowledge that since he hired Ruff this team has had 1 good season and a bunch of disappointments, and they have rearranged the deck chairs with assistants basically every year and once it worked out. So yes, I think he will approach this opening very differently than he has previously.

A lot of folks around here hold a much lower opinion of Fitz, and I won't begrudge you for that so we will just have to see how it goes.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
McLellan isn’t as bad as Green.

That’s the nicest thing I can say about him. He’s just not particularly good or the cause of why some of his teams have been so good. I could have coached those Sharks teams to good records in some of those years while he was there.

I don’t at all want McLellan, but with a healthy roster and some upgrades/goalies, I don’t think he can FUBAR next year’s team. Just like I said Lindy probably couldn’t FUBAR this year’s team if we were more healthier, even with the bad goalies.

Travis Green absolutely can FUBAR this entire operation. He’s literally one of the league’s worst head coaches of the last decade.

He’s got this team playing as lousy as they played in some of the worst games at the end of Ruff.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad