News & Notes XLIII: Cam Ward is a Cute lil 10 Year Old

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
If we are going to trade Necas for a dman, I want to make sure it's someone with a nasty side to his game and mainly defensive first. This franchise needs to make it a point of it not being a fun physical experience for anyone to play against us. Right now, we are a team that tends to take it on the chin more than we dish it. That is turning a little this year, but I really want to see us go all in with it. If we bring back Guentzel and extend Jarvis, we have the scoring, we would just need the jam. And that jam needs to be all over the lineup, not just a token guy in the bottom pair or a 7th defenseman. We forecheck like maniacs, we should have a reputation for being a nasty team to play against.
Yeah, I'm just not sure who's out there that's available with that type of game on D though. The teams that I can see wanting Necas don't have the pieces that we need (Ottawa, Buffalo, Montreal, Utah) that play that style. The legit top 4 dman that can skate while still playing a heavy game is getting to be increasingly rare.

Reactions: WreckingCrew

chaz4hockey

Sponsor
Jan 21, 2021
Naples, FL
Funny you mention Turbo not being able to get his nose dirty like needs to be done in the playoffs, when he is one of the few guys on our roster with his name on the cup
Rookie season when he was 20 & wasn't the driver. He did score in the playoffs but the heavy lifting was done by Kane-Toews-Keith-Hossa-Sharp-Richards-Saad-Seabrook-Shaw etc.:

1715450174581.png

chaz4hockey

Sponsor
Jan 21, 2021
Naples, FL
If we are going to trade Necas for a dman, I want to make sure it's someone with a nasty side to his game and mainly defensive first. This franchise needs to make it a point of it not being a fun physical experience for anyone to play against us. Right now, we are a team that tends to take it on the chin more than we dish it. That is turning a little this year, but I really want to see us go all in with it. If we bring back Guentzel and extend Jarvis, we have the scoring, we would just need the jam. And that jam needs to be all over the lineup, not just a token guy in the bottom pair or a 7th defenseman. We forecheck like maniacs, we should have a reputation for being a nasty team to play against.
"We forecheck like maniacs, we should have a reputation for being a nasty team to play against."

Nashville plays that way.

"I’ve been thinking Necas could go for a dman we keep for a few years. We’ll see, he could go for a pick at the draft too."

Question is who is cost controlled that meets that criteria???

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
Yeah, I'm just not sure who's out there that's available with that type of game on D though. The teams that I can see wanting Necas don't have the pieces that we need (Ottawa, Buffalo, Montreal, Utah) that play that style. The legit top 4 dman that can skate while still playing a heavy game is getting to be increasingly rare.
I mean this could be a 2 part situation where we flip assets for the player we really want.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
I mean, again, comes down to who's available on the rebuilding teams and the more I look at it the less I like.

Montreal, Ottawa, Buffalo, Columbus, Philly, San Jose, Anaheim, Arizona, Chicago. I see a couple Ottawa pieces that would be nice (Tkachuk, Chychrun) but what do any of those other 8 have that fits what we're looking for?

Reactions: bleedgreen

AD Skinner

Mar 18, 2009
bubble bath
I just don’t understand this idea that teravainen is bad in the playoffs. Since becoming a cane he’s had one playoff year where he put up less than half a point per game; it was last year when he broke his hand. I’m not saying the guys a superstar but he isn’t paid like one or should be expected to be one- he’s a solid piece though

Derailed75

Jan 5, 2021
Danville
I just don’t understand this idea that teravainen is bad in the playoffs. Since becoming a cane he’s had one playoff year where he put up less than half a point per game; it was last year when he broke his hand. I’m not saying the guys a superstar but he isn’t paid like one or should be expected to be one- he’s a solid piece though
He also took a team friendly deal so he produces more than he is paid for. If he takes another deal like that he absolutely should be a long term Cane

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
For me it wasn’t that I was against TT and Aho, back in the first couple of years my point was always that the two of them weren’t enough in the playoffs. If they were the sole focus of the offense they were too easily taken out, and they didn’t really play the type of game that could force things. Especially together.

As we’ve gotten deeper that’s not as much of the focus but it still stands that we need more than whoever’s on Aho’s line if we’re going to win. I think TT is great in the playoffs if there’s a good spot in the lineup for him, which for much of his time is complicated as he has often been at his best with Aho. This year he’s played like he has some heat on him, which he does of course but he’s still been inconsistent.

I think when we look at changing the team a bit as we have found younger offensive players TT becomes an easier one to replace with someone who plays Rod’s style more. I agree when he steps up he’s an impactful player. If we had a better mix of forwards I could see keeping him as an unexpected at times weapon. I think in the name of getting that better mix he’s going to be someone who moves on. We’re going to need his money.

I think he’s great in the playoffs, as long as he isn’t part of the main focus.

I’ve never believed he took a team friendly deal. I think we value him more than the league does, especially then and it was directly influenced by Aho. He had his choice of going out to the league where he’d be expected to maybe be a different player or stay with us and play with his best friend with frankly lower expectations. I don’t think he had a reasonable choice but to stay.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
I do worry if a player like Bunting fits what Brindy is trying to do here. Him and Trocheck seem to be of the same mold, and they both saw a fall in the lineup and playing time reduced because they weren't doing whatever it was that was expected of them here.

Agreed, though I don’t remember Tro falling in the lineup. We had some blender moments but Tro was in my memory very much trusted and always ended up back at 2C.

In his 2 full season's here, Trocheck trailed only Aho in TOI/GP for forwards. He didn't fall in the line-up, at least not for any amount of time.

His most common 5v5 line mates were:

Necas: 971 minutes
Svech: 554 minutes
Nino: 495 minutes
TT: 247 minutes

He was our 2C here consistently.

Image 5-13-24 at 7.30 AM.jpeg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad