NHL 24 Discussion

OKR

Nov 18, 2015
I've never played franchise mode, but I don't know what to tell you, what you are describing isn't remotely the experience I'm having playing the game.
Yeah, i got that. It’s just extremely weird how your gameplay experience is so different from the general opinion. No matter where i looked this was BY FAR the most common complain.

There are so many things this game does better than 23, but the fact you can’t score the most common type of goal in real life is really hampering the experience after a while.

Granted, today i did score my first ever snipe on this game, took over 100 games with +40 shots but still.

Reactions: Rodgerwilco

ShootIt

Nov 8, 2008
I can score quite a few "clean" goals in Franchise mode.
Slapshots from the point, snapshots 10-20 ft out and wristers. Not every game for each type of goal, especially slapshots. I usually score after getting set up in the offensive zone. Beat a defender to the slot and let them rip. Try to avoid the cheese goals.

Reactions: FerrisRox

David71

Dec 27, 2008
vancouver
r3 button is useless. tried to hipcheck but the player just tries to forearm shiver your opponent. which misses 100 percent of the time. they gotta fix that. Removing the right stick for reverse hitting, or putting protect the puck back to the X or A button? Or do you think we are stuck with these new buttons?

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
I can score quite a few "clean" goals in Franchise mode.
Slapshots from the point, snapshots 10-20 ft out and wristers. Not every game for each type of goal, especially slapshots. I usually score after getting set up in the offensive zone. Beat a defender to the slot and let them rip. Try to avoid the cheese goals.

I was so surprised by his claim that I actually started up a franchise mode, and sure enough, just the third goal I scored in the first game, was a clean wrister that beat the goalie blocker side.

The very next goal I scored, in that same game, I came down the wing, cut to the middle, used the defence as a bit of a screen than came out of the defence and fired a wrist shot for another clean goal.

I don't have the faintest idea what this guy is talking about or how he's playing the game, but it has absolutely nothing to do with Franchise mode. I won my first game in Franchise mode 7-1 and I scored four goals that were "clean" goals. (Two high glove side, one over his blocker, one through the five hole)

Last edited:
Reactions: ShootIt

Ferguson Jenkins

Jul 17, 2021
I haven’t played this series since 2014 or 2015. I picked up 24 recently and started playing today with some time off work.
How the heck do you prevent goals and shots in this game? I used to be pretty good at defence but what the hell happened?

yzerman

Apr 23, 2017
Sweden
I haven’t played this series since 2014 or 2015. I picked up 24 recently and started playing today with some time off work.
How the heck do you prevent goals and shots in this game? I used to be pretty good at defence but what the hell happened?
Same here i am always played a good defensive game and ca 70 games in franschise mode i have 0 SO for my goalie.The computer ALWAYS find a way to score i the 3rd period.

belair

Balls On The Crest
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Staying in front of the puck carrier. Not chasing hits or making ill timed pokes. Being patient and using body positioning to keep them to the outside. Using manual blocks when necessary to block attempts through the middle.

It helps to run free skate with the pass aim on just to get a good feel of the mechanics. Learn to master your pivots! Too many straight line players.

There are a lot of problems with the new games. Online versus is complete ass. But you can still make it work with the game mechanics. It's moving in the right direction.

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario

If you haven't played since then, most likely your problem is poke-checking.

In the versions you played, there was really no "negative" that could happen if you just spammed poke-check endlessly as the puck carrier got anywhere close to you.

They have changed this now so that it much more accurately reflects the reality of a player trying to poke the puck away from the opposition, mainly, when you commit to a poke check, if it isn't timed correctly (I.e., if you're just spamming) you will miss the poke check which will expose you as a defender as you are going to be extended in a poke check but you will not have knocked the puck away. If you are pressing this button multiple times, your player will lose several steps, be easily beaten and the opposition is past you.

Additionally, and similarly, in previous incarnations of the game, as a defender, being anywhere close to the opposition allowed you to deliver thunderous checks. Now, there's a stiff penalty for taking a run at someone and missing (as their should be) so physically engaging the opposition is more difficult to do, and there's much more downside to executing a hit poorly.

There's a learning curve, but it's much more realistic and incredibly rewarding when you get it down.

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
After picking this up in the sales I've finally started playing it. I have a few questions (this is going to be a lot of questions) and I should start by saying I haven't played an NHL game since 09, and an EA Sports game since FIFA 11. I have a few gameplay questions, and several game modes/content questions.

I've been playing a few days and I think I have the hang of most of the gameplay features. I've been using the standard controls rather than the simplified ones because I know there are a lot of features and capabilities you can use. Poke checking and blocking are fine. I'm starting to realise that holding R2 and then pressing the next button to pass to a player is better than just passing R2 because it'll actually go in the right direction.

My biggest problem is using the right stick to control the stick. Whenever I'm in a game situation (I realise that practicing 1v1 with a goalie would help, I'll get to that) and I find myself wanting to move the puck from side to side with it on my stick I can't. Is there something else I should be pressing, besides just moving the stick? The various deke buttons don't do much.

And on that, how do you aim shots? I don't know if everything just moves too fast for me so far but there seems to be a disconnect between what I do and what happens. I don't know if this is actually the case.

And on that, how effective are the tactical changes you can make with the directional buttons? I'm getting fed up of playing 3v3 modes and carrying the puck into the zone with a chance for a 2 on 1 while the other forward stands at the red line picking his nose, or starts trying to hump one of the defensemen rather than move into literally any of the open space. Is there anything you can do here? I think the best way to describe my goal scoring so far is just... very few of my goals actually feel deliberate. I usually throw a puck at the net, or pass to a player near it, and hope for the best. Sometimes it works.

Now, game modes. I've only played the various online modes so far. The last time I played in 09 there was Franchise mode and Be a Pro, that was it. Now there are multiple online modes with multiple modes within those (and absolutely hideous menu design). I think I've tried all of them, but I have a few questions relating mainly to the trophies that go along with them.

What's the best way to unlock players for HUT? As far as I can tell it's by doing Squad Battles and getting the maximum points from that and getting lots of packs. At least it's a lot less aggravating than trying to use my actual HUT team against other players - McDavid/Eichel/Makar/Orr/etc. vs. Cogliano and Colton gets old quick. If there's any other mode that's worth doing, I'm all ears.

Similarly in HUT, how do you upgrade Player Items? What are sets and how do you upgrade them? What are Event Players and how do you unlock them?

In Chel mode, ones and threes, what's the best strategy? What's the best build? I tried a ones tournament earlier and got through the first round, went out at the second one. How easy is it to actually win one of these? I imagine a threes tournament is easier if you have good teammates. Does your Chel player level affect your stats, or is it just the player type and stats you pick that do?

I think the only other thing I need to ask is how active these game modes usually are, and how long they're supported for? I'm playing during the week and not at times where there will be a lot of North Americans on, but every time I've gone into matchmaking in any mode the population has always been low. I've always found matches, I'm just curious about how well the game actually does.

I think that's everything. If you read or answer any of this, thanks.

EdJovanovski

#RempeForConnSmythe
Apr 26, 2016
The Rempire State
My biggest gripes this year are the stupid glitch where it always changes the color of the numbers on your Chel teams jerseys, and how hard it is to stand there winding up prepared for a one timer and how you instead try throwing a hit. Still have that problem where I'll accidentally throw hits while carrying the puck, and I see a lot of people accidentally doing it all the time too. I recognize that's partially user error but they should've mapped it to be something less easily to accidentally do.

Reactions: LokiDog

LokiDog

Get pucks deep. Get pucks to the net. And, uh…
Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
My biggest gripes this year are the stupid glitch where it always changes the color of the numbers on your Chel teams jerseys, and how hard it is to stand there winding up prepared for a one timer and how you instead try throwing a hit. Still have that problem where I'll accidentally throw hits while carrying the puck, and I see a lot of people accidentally doing it all the time too. I recognize that's partially user error but they should've mapped it to be something less easily to accidentally do.

Honestly most of my gripes at this point - not all, I have a running list of gameplay specific gripes - are with things like AI logic with line combinations, trade logic, signing logic, presentation and tons of franchise/BAP specific QoL things I would just give a f***ing thumb for them to do better with… however, the accidentally triggering a hit animation when I’m trying to make a deke or wind up for a shot coming down the wing is the NUMBER ONE thing ruining this game for me. I know the controls, I’m doing fine with puck movement and strategy and while the AI isn’t up to snuff on the ice, I’ve learned to work with what we have… but when you constantly trigger an accidental animation that costs you scoring opportunities and possession and it’s 100% unintentional, yet no matter how accustomed to the control changes I’ve become, I can’t seem to avoid, is beyond frustrating and ruining the experience for me.

Reactions: EdJovanovski

blundluntman

Jul 30, 2016
My goalie in BaP after 2 minutes of spamming snow angels while the puck's on the other side of the ice:
image.gif

My goalie in BaP after making 2 low blocker saves:

Screen Shot 2024-01-28 at 4.51.03 PM.png

Attachments

• image.gif
    image.gif
    508.2 KB · Views: 1

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
After picking this up in the sales I've finally started playing it. I have a few questions (this is going to be a lot of questions) and I should start by saying I haven't played an NHL game since 09, and an EA Sports game since FIFA 11. I have a few gameplay questions, and several game modes/content questions.

I've been playing a few days and I think I have the hang of most of the gameplay features. I've been using the standard controls rather than the simplified ones because I know there are a lot of features and capabilities you can use. Poke checking and blocking are fine. I'm starting to realise that holding R2 and then pressing the next button to pass to a player is better than just passing R2 because it'll actually go in the right direction.

My biggest problem is using the right stick to control the stick. Whenever I'm in a game situation (I realise that practicing 1v1 with a goalie would help, I'll get to that) and I find myself wanting to move the puck from side to side with it on my stick I can't. Is there something else I should be pressing, besides just moving the stick? The various deke buttons don't do much.

And on that, how do you aim shots? I don't know if everything just moves too fast for me so far but there seems to be a disconnect between what I do and what happens. I don't know if this is actually the case.

And on that, how effective are the tactical changes you can make with the directional buttons? I'm getting fed up of playing 3v3 modes and carrying the puck into the zone with a chance for a 2 on 1 while the other forward stands at the red line picking his nose, or starts trying to hump one of the defensemen rather than move into literally any of the open space. Is there anything you can do here? I think the best way to describe my goal scoring so far is just... very few of my goals actually feel deliberate. I usually throw a puck at the net, or pass to a player near it, and hope for the best. Sometimes it works.

Now, game modes. I've only played the various online modes so far. The last time I played in 09 there was Franchise mode and Be a Pro, that was it. Now there are multiple online modes with multiple modes within those (and absolutely hideous menu design). I think I've tried all of them, but I have a few questions relating mainly to the trophies that go along with them.

What's the best way to unlock players for HUT? As far as I can tell it's by doing Squad Battles and getting the maximum points from that and getting lots of packs. At least it's a lot less aggravating than trying to use my actual HUT team against other players - McDavid/Eichel/Makar/Orr/etc. vs. Cogliano and Colton gets old quick. If there's any other mode that's worth doing, I'm all ears.

Similarly in HUT, how do you upgrade Player Items? What are sets and how do you upgrade them? What are Event Players and how do you unlock them?

In Chel mode, ones and threes, what's the best strategy? What's the best build? I tried a ones tournament earlier and got through the first round, went out at the second one. How easy is it to actually win one of these? I imagine a threes tournament is easier if you have good teammates. Does your Chel player level affect your stats, or is it just the player type and stats you pick that do?

I think the only other thing I need to ask is how active these game modes usually are, and how long they're supported for? I'm playing during the week and not at times where there will be a lot of North Americans on, but every time I've gone into matchmaking in any mode the population has always been low. I've always found matches, I'm just curious about how well the game actually does.

I think that's everything. If you read or answer any of this, thanks.
I've sorted most of this but I do have one complaint - how do you play Threes tournaments and not get matched with people who do loose puck dekes instead of passing, and who constantly try to go into the same part of the ice as you when you defend?

• Haha
Reactions: belair

belair

Balls On The Crest
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
I've sorted most of this but I do have one complaint - how do you play Threes tournaments and not get matched with people who do loose puck dekes instead of passing, and who constantly try to go into the same part of the ice as you when you defend?
By throwing the game by intentionally tripping them and flipping the puck over the boards until they leave.

Reactions: FiveHoleTickler

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
By throwing the game by intentionally tripping them and flipping the puck over the boards until they leave.
I've played a lot of Rocket League over the years so I know how to play well positionally in 3v3 but holy f***, it's like I'm playing with gorillas. Absolutely hopeless.

The Great Mighty Poo

Thank You 59.
Feb 21, 2020
Scatbox
I like how it's now the all star break and this lazy company STILL hasn't patched in the SLR 4 goalie equipment but remembered to patch in the V10s on launch day, a lot of guys with dark hair are blonde headed for reasons, and 85% of dudes with beards are clean shaven, and majority of the dudes with long hair are bald are given crew cuts, for the love of God EA, please give us a face morpher and hair selector next season like The Show has, oh and get rid of the equipment that's been discontinued for well over 10 years, you idiots are hogging up disc space with crap that isn't used anymore because why?

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
I like how it's now the all star break and this lazy company STILL hasn't patched in the SLR 4 goalie equipment but remembered to patch in the V10s on launch day, a lot of guys with dark hair are blonde headed for reasons, and 85% of dudes with beards are clean shaven, and majority of the dudes with long hair are bald are given crew cuts, for the love of God EA, please give us a face morpher and hair selector next season like The Show has, oh and get rid of the equipment that's been discontinued for well over 10 years, you idiots are hogging up disc space with crap that isn't used anymore because why?

Because a lot of people want to use the equipment they want whether it's been "discontinued" or not.

Why would you be lobbying for the game to get rid of stuff? I'd be pissed if the game dumped my JOFA helmet so they could make space to add a more robust "Hair selector."

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
I've played a lot of Rocket League over the years so I know how to play well positionally in 3v3 but holy f***, it's like I'm playing with gorillas. Absolutely hopeless.
Update: Even more irritating than people who don't pass are people who don't pass and try lacrosse plays every time. Clowns.

PanniniClaus

Oct 12, 2006
I'm probably in the minority but i'm enjoying the increase in difficulty on pokechecks and hits.

I'd prefer if the goalies flopping around was less dramatic... unless that is a particular goalies playstyle. You don't see Helly on the Jets with many dramatic movements.

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
Alright, someone tell me what sort of build I should be using for Ones. I keep trying different types and they're all useless (or not as good as other people seem to be when using them)

belair

Balls On The Crest
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Alright, someone tell me what sort of build I should be using for Ones. I keep trying different types and they're all useless (or not as good as other people seem to be when using them)
Doesn't really matter. Just make sure you run elite edges and max your puck control. The masters of that mode will run a 6'9 ENF and just steamroll guys while still flying somehow.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad