OT: NHL All-Time Draft

In the NHL-ALL Time Draft, who do you have the Ducks take?

• Bobby Hull

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Doug Harvey

• Patrick Roy

• Steve Yzerman

• Other (Specify in comments)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

UnSandvich

Sep 7, 2017
Hello from the NYR Boards. Life without hockey's been somewhat boring lately, as I'm sure you're all aware, so I decided to do something to pass the time. Namely, an All-Time draft. The rules of such a draft are as follows:

1. Every team gets a single pick, and the draft order follows the standings as of 3/20/2020 (the first day of the draft), which will be posted in a follow-up post in the thread below. So even if a team traded its 1st Round pick in the 2020 NHL Entry Draft, they still get a choice in this draft.
2. All retired/inactive NHL players are considered eligible for this draft (including guys playing overseas like Jagr). All active NHL players, as well as players whose rights are owned by an NHL team, are ineligible
3. It is assumed that player abilities are "up-to-date" with the modern game, so a player like Eddie Shore who played in a far different NHL will not be at a disadvantage compared to say Wayne Gretzky or Jaromir Jagr
4. All players will be drafted into the organization at the age of 18, similar to the NHL Entry Draft
5. It is assumed that players will have a similar ceiling to during their playing career, and have the ability to reach said ceiling, although this is not guaranteed
6. I'll give 2-3 days for votes to come in before the next team goes on the clock.
7. In the event of a tie, I will set up a tiebreaker poll
8. Bonus points for explaining how this might affect the team's present and future, though this is by no means obligatory

Anaheim, you are now on the clock with the 5th pick in the 2020 NHL All-Time Draft!

Reactions: Paul4587

UnSandvich

Sep 7, 2017
1. Detroit Red Wings- Wayne Gretzky
2. Ottawa Senators- Mario Lemieux
3. San Jose Sharks- Bobby Orr
4. Los Angeles Kings- Gordie Howe
5. Anaheim Ducks- On the Clock
6. New Jersey Devils-
7. Buffalo Sabres-
8. Montreal Canadiens-
9. Chicago Blackhawks-
10. Arizona Coyotes-
11. Minnesota Wild-
12. Vancouver Canucks-
13. Nashville Predators-
14. Florida Panthers-
15. Calgary Flames-
16. New York Rangers-
17. Winnipeg Jets-
18. New York Islanders-
19. Columbus Blue Jackets-
20. Toronto Maple Leafs-
21. Carolina Hurricanes-
22. Dallas Stars-
23. Edmonton Oilers-
24. Vegas Golden Knights-
25. Pittsburgh Penguins-
26. Philadelphia Flyers-
27. Washington Capitals-
28. Tampa Bay Lightning-
29. Colorado Avalanche-
30. St Louis Blues-
31. Boston Bruins-

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
For me this is where the decisions start to get more difficult, as I think almost everyone would have had those same top 4 in some order.

Now there are a few guys who you could make a case for, and they come from all different eras.

As much as I've always leaned towards Crosby, it's pretty easy to justify going with arguably the greatest goal scorer ever here in Ovechkin.

Ovechkin, Crosby, Messier, Richard, Beliveau, Hull, Jagr, Roy, Yzerman....am I missing someone who should be in the running here?

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
For me this is where the decisions start to get more difficult, as I think almost everyone would have had those same top 4 in some order.

Now there are a few guys who you could make a case for, and they come from all different eras.

As much as I've always leaned towards Crosby, it's pretty easy to justify going with arguably the greatest goal scorer ever here in Ovechkin.

Ovechkin, Crosby, Messier, Richard, Beliveau, Hull, Jagr, Roy, Yzerman....am I missing someone who should be in the running here?

Hasek IMO. The best goalie to play the game and had insane longevity although he didn’t actually come into the league until he was a bit older .

For number 5 it’s between Beliveau, Hull, Richard and Hasek for me. Crosby may get there by the time he’s retired but he’s not there yet.

Edit: after re reading the OP Crosby and Ovechkin aren’t eligible anyway. So we can take them out of the conversation.

how do we do this is it just a vote?

Reactions: WhatTheDuck

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
Hasek IMO. The best goalie to play the game and had insane longevity although he didn’t actually come into the league until he was a bit older .

For number 5 it’s between Beliveau, Hull, Richard and Hasek for me. Crosby may get there by the time he’s retired but he’s not there yet.

Edit: after re reading the OP Crosby and Ovechkin aren’t eligible anyway. So we can take them out of the conversation.

how do we do this is it just a vote?

Maybe once we get a solid list of candidates, a mod could add a poll to the OP?

UnSandvich

Sep 7, 2017

I'm keeping track of votes via a running tally in a google doc. If there's a tie (only 1 so far), I make a tiebreaker post, with the tied choices as options. If that still doesn't bring a consensus...f*** it, we'll do that when we get to it.

Pretty much. Once the Mt Rushmore of Hockey is gone, then things get challenging

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006

I think that’s probably the least messy way to do it. Although it does mean posters from other boards can vote on our pick but I doubt that’s an issue.

in terms of candidates who is viable? I would think a start would be
Beliveau
Richard
Hull
Roy
Hasek
Jagr
Harvey
One of Shore/Lidstrom/Bourque?

I don’t see the need to extend it out to much past that unless I’m missing someone obvious?

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
I just saw in that the Sens fans picked Lemieux over Orr. Huge mistake IMO haha. Not sure I would pick Lemieux over Howe either.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
Since it will be impossible to get enough votes otherwise can a mod please add a poll with the following options:

Beliveau
Richard
Hull
Roy
Hasek
Jagr
Harvey
Other

GermanRocket7

Fire Newell Brown yesteryear!
Sponsor
Nov 7, 2008
Düsseldorf
I'd almost be tempted to say Yzerman, simply because he not only was a very good player, but also busted his ass off for his team time and again. Furthermore, we was extremely loyal and had a much prolonged career compared to some other candidates.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
I'd almost be tempted to say Yzerman, simply because he not only was a very good player, but also busted his ass off for his team time and again. Furthermore, we was extremely loyal and had a much prolonged career compared to some other candidates.

that same logic applies to Beliveau except he had a much more decorated career than Yzerman...

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006

I think you definitely want Beliveau then. He’s a better version.

And for me it’s between Richard or Beliveau. We’re unfortunately past the big four. You pretty much had to know who was going to be picked in those spots, but now it gets a little more open.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
Ended up going with Beliveau although you can’t really go wrong with half the options. Jagr is a good choice too because offensively he’s probably the most prolific player (or maybe second behind Hull) of all those guys plus he had absolutely insane longevity.

JabbaJabba

Dec 22, 2010
Finland
Went with Jagr. It is difficult to judge players who played in different eras but I mean Jagr is second in total points and his career has been a mix of skill and longevity. If I knew I could pick a player like that for my team, it would be really hard not to take him. And so I picked him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad