GDT: NHL Draft Lottery 2024 (6:30 PM EST, ESPN)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aaaarrgghh

Jul 17, 2022
4th overall then. Alright. My guess would be one of Demidov, Levshunov or Lindstrom for the Blue Jackets then come the draft. Can't complain too much about that. I just don't buy that they would pick Silayev with one of those three left on the table.

Reactions: squashmaple

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Trading this pick would be like the Provorov trade on steroids.

Ottawa traded a top 10 pick for a guy who walked on them a year later. It’s bad optics for a team that’s not close to a cup.

All in favor of keeping the pick and moving forward with the kid.

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
4th overall then. Alright. My guess would be one of Demidov, Levshunov or Lindstrom for the Blue Jackets then come the draft. Can't complain too much about that. I just don't buy that they would pick Silayev with one of those three left on the table.
Mackenzie has after Celibrini
Demodov
Silayev
Levshunov
Lindstrom

Wheeler had
Demidov
Levshunov
Buium
Parekh
Eiserman

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
There's nothing terrible about that. The top 5 is balanced. But even if we pick last, it's important to work the players, and we can be like Edmonton or Buffalo.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
Highly disagree with that.
Most goalies aren't consistent enough to be worth that, and a bad team can devalue a good goalie in the course of a season. This team isn't consistent enough to give up the future for a goalie.

How did Schneider work out for NJ? Yes he was a great goalie, but they made the playoffs once in his time there. And the pick they traded for him?

Bo Horvat.

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
Most goalies aren't consistent enough to be worth that, and a bad team can devalue a good goalie in the course of a season. This team isn't consistent enough to give up the future for a goalie.

How did Schneider work out for NJ? Yes he was a great goalie, but they made the playoffs once in his time there. And the pick they traded for him?

Bo Horvat.

The 4th pick is a crap shoot.

Do I really need to bring up Zherdev? Klesla? RyJo?

And those are just Blue Jackets.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Saying the 4th pick is as much of a crap shoot as trading for a top-5 goalie
What team is trading a top 5 goalie anyway? The only goalies worth discussing with this trade are Shesterkin, Sorokin, Vasilevskiy, maybe Swayman, etc. these guys aren’t moving

CalBuckeyeRob

Feb 25, 2012
Why do goalies always take so long to get NHL ready? You stand there and stop shots and no one is permitted to hit you. You would think that would be the easiest transition.

MissADD

Jun 21, 2018
Silvermoon City
Why do goalies always take so long to get NHL ready? You stand there and stop shots and no one is permitted to hit you. You would think that would be the easiest transition.
I wasn't a hockey goalie, I was a soccer goalie, and obviously I never went pro in soccer, but my best guess is the mental aspect of it. Goalie in any sport you have to be mentally tough and crazy. More so than the other positions. Much like kicker/punter or a baseball closer, you have to have a couple of screws loose, but at the same time know when to be level headed. Its a fine balance that takes time to figure out.

Reactions: koteka and EspenK

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
You're only as good as the best competition you're used to playing against. Going from the jrs playing kids to a professional league like the AHL playing against grown men is hard enough, let alone the NHL...

It can take time to adjust moving up to the next league, and a goalies confidence can be shattered quickly. Guys who can immediately transition and have success are rarities. Playing goalie is one of the highest pressure positions on the ice, it's the only player on the ice for all 60 minutes... Other positions get to not only take a physical rest, but a mental rest as they sit on the bench and can turn their brain off for 90 seconds and watch and analyze what happened, they can talk to coaches and other players.

A goalie is stuck in his own head for 20 minutes at a time. It takes someone with a lot of mental fortitude to not only make that transition but to do it as a teenager or early 20 something... Is extremely unlikely

bleuetbio

Registered luser
Nov 13, 2008
Montreal

There's a lot to talk since the draft, but what if... Actually a lot of rumors about picks

1- SJ - Celebrini
2- Chi - Dickinson
3- Ana - Buium

So the 4th spot is more than appealing at this point

Aaaarrgghh

Jul 17, 2022
There's a lot to talk since the draft, but what if... Actually a lot of rumors about picks

1- SJ - Celebrini
2- Chi - Dickinson
3- Ana - Buium

So the 4th spot is more than appealing at this point
It's a good spot for sure. I thought before the lottery that as long as Columbus stay in the top 4, I'd be happy.

We'll see how it goes. Though I've myself said that I could absolutely see Anaheim pick Buium, the likeliest scenario in my mind right now is probably
2. Chicago - Demidov/Lindstrom
3. Anaheim - Levshunov

In this case, I personally think Columbus picks whoever is left of Demidov and Lindstrom, which I'd be happy with. The reason that might be Demidov in my mind is that Chicago's core forward group going forward – Bedard, Nazar and Moore – are all small guys. They could use some size and bite in their core. Levshunov is likely to be gone. Both Chicago and Anaheim could well take him.

Last edited:
Reactions: bleuetbio
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad