Confirmed with Link: Nichushkin back in assistance program; suspended a minimum of six months

niwotsblessing

May 1, 2010
City of Holy Faith
I'm already sore and the ass blasting hasn't even stopped yet
Butthut Cream .jpg

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Friedman says his contract is essentially frozen while he's suspended for this and it can't be terminated. They can negotiate some sort of mutual buyout but that's about it.
Did he say any of his speculative stuff about which direction the Avs are going to go?

I know this is going to be controversial, but I still would prefer the Avs to keep him, especially if Landeskog retires to LTIR.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
Did he say any of his speculative stuff about which direction the Avs are going to go?
No
I know this is going to be controversial, but I still would prefer the Avs to keep him, especially if Landeskog retires to LTIR.
I frankly have no idea, could lean either way TBH. But I'm pretty sure his teammates don't want him, and that's what matters, not what we think as fans.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
I frankly have no idea. But I'm pretty sure his teammates don't want him, and that's what matters the most at this point.
We got one comment by JMFJ and there is a great chance he won't be re-signed. I am very sure there are others who feel the same in the room, but I don't think they will go all DeAngelo if they see him again.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Johansen was definitely one of those guys. I'm guessing, but not sure, that Byram was as well.

Perhaps you haven't seen it, which is a testament to how hard it is to counter these things once they stick, but this has been debunked many times. Toews was talking about the new forwards.

His comments didn't match Byram anyway, because Bo had taken ownership multiple times for not playing well. Toews said some guys thought they were playing better than they were.

@Ararana recapped what Bednar said in the old Trade thread.

"Bednar already confirmed Toews was referring to the forwards not helping the D break out. That speculation needs to die already."

"It was one of Moser's radio segments with Bednar. Bednar initially tried to dodge the question but Moser pushed a bit and Bendar let slip that the new forwards were cherry picking high and not coming back to help the defense break the puck out."

Cypher

May 25, 2011
Edmonton
avalanche.nhl.com
Didn’t Scott Darling go on a podcast like last year and said the player assistance program is crap and they will try to find a way to break your contract?

Here’s hoping!

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Didn’t Scott Darling go on a podcast like last year and said the player assistance program is crap and they will try to find a way to break your contract?

Here’s hoping!
Yes and this is a very common thought in the NHL.

arun

Click here to hide this advertisement
Jun 23, 2016
Holland
As much as it is infuriating it happens again, addiction is not a joke. I can absolutely understand everybody’s frustrations but i keep in mind substance abuse is really not something you can beat easily..

I hope we can turn this negativity into energy to turn the tide vs dallas

Reactions: niwotsblessing

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Perhaps you haven't seen it, which is a testament to how hard it is to counter these things once they stick, but this has been debunked many times. Toews was talking about the new forwards.

His comments didn't match Byram anyway, because Bo had taken ownership multiple times for not playing well. Toews said some guys thought they were playing better than they were.

@Ararana recapped what Bednar said in the old Trade thread.

"Bednar already confirmed Toews was referring to the forwards not helping the D break out. That speculation needs to die already."

"It was one of Moser's radio segments with Bednar. Bednar initially tried to dodge the question but Moser pushed a bit and Bendar let slip that the new forwards were cherry picking high and not coming back to help the defense break the puck out."
That I'll concede. Either way the primary culprit is gone.

Reactions: Foppa2118

avsfan09

Dec 17, 2010
Nova Scotia
I don’t think we can say for certain this ends our contending years… no doubt it is a huge setback and devastating. But if a team like Dallas can look this good, then we definitely have a chance with the right moves and drafting.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
I don’t think we can say for certain this ends our contending years… no doubt it is a huge setback and devastating. But if a team like Dallas can look this good, then we definitely have a chance with the right moves and drafting.
Nothing is ever certain, but the Avs have lost a ton of guys since the Cup with only fractions of value in return. When you combine that with age and drafting record... it is very bleak.

When it comes to drafting, it takes a while to really get a return on those rewards. Even if the Avs are suddenly good at it. Dallas is a great example. Hintz was basically 5 years after his draft to making a large impact. Robertson was 3. Otter was 4. Johnston was incredibly fast at 2. Stankhoven was 3. Being realistic and saying drafting well will help in 4 years puts us at the 28-29 season. Even if you assume it started last year, 27-28 is really the year where the return should start.

The expectation that the Avs suddenly turn into Dallas drafting wise is such a long shot that I really don't think it is realistic. Dallas is a top 5, if not top 2-3 drafting team. Avs are a bottom 10, if not bottom 5 drafting team. If our hope lies in that, there shouldn't be much hope.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I mean I’d put pretty good money that players who are in the assistance program get tested relatively frequently as part of their rehabilitation. One of my coworkers is a currently a recovering addict, lived and works at a sober living house(obviously these aren’t an 1/1 comparison)and drug testing is quite common. I don’t see why it wouldn’t be for those in the assistance program as well. Obviously it sucks that he’s going to be gone for awhile but actions have consequences.

This was my assuption as well. If you're in some sort of regulated program like this, it comes with additional testing.

Which only makes sense. They're not going to operate with the honor system and just take their word that they're not using again.

And if that's the case, it makes it worse, because Val should have known the test could be coming, and this would be the repercussion, because I'm sure they and his agent made that very clear.

Reactions: The Moops

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
This was my assuption as well. If you're in some sort of regulated program like this, it comes with additional testing.

Which only makes sense. They're not going to operate with the honor system and just take their word that they're not using again.

And if that's the case, it makes it worse, because Val should have known the test could be coming, and this would be the repercussion, because I'm sure they and his agent made that very clear.

It really sucks but this is addiction unfortunately. You can only help someone that is willing to be helped/changed. Nuke has made his bed and now has to lie in it.

Reactions: TheGrimReaper

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
Did Nuke single handedly close the cup window?
I know a lot of folks are going to say yes. But I'm going to go full blown optimistic and say that he might be partly responsible for opening it back up. Depends on how successful we are with terminating his contract. I actually think his shenanigans might force the Avs into a retool this summer which should involve the trading of Mikko. You take whatever young talent we get from Mikko and subtract that from the 16M we've opened up and we should still be able to fix the roster moving forward. This could actually be the time in a franchise history where a significant retool actually makes sense and should work out better than the status quo.

I would say that this core and head coach have run its course and is due for a shakeup anyways. Might as well try and get some younger cheaper talent to surround a new smaller core of MacK, Mitts, Landy(?), Makar, and Toews. I know we've got others under contract and that one of Girard or Manson could be moved this summer, but I think they both stay unless we are getting a replacement in the Rants deal. I also think Bednar needs to be challenged by CMac to come up with another offensive strategy. He doesn't have to do away with what he's got but he HAS to have a plan B that isn't, "Just move your feet faster." and he should be using it regularly throughout the regular season to keep the guys used to both. He should be on warning but not necessarily the hot seat. I think he's alluded to the fact that the players aren't necessarily doing what he's asking of them in this series though. It could be that he is asking them to play differently, dump and chase, and they aren't. He's used the work stubborn a few times this series in regard to the struggles they are having.

Reactions: niwotsblessing

The Moops

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2017
Earth
Has anybody taken a look at all the players' pinky nails? This might clue us into things....
Why do you think they wear gloves? :naughty:

I know a lot of folks are going to say yes. But I'm going to go full blown optimistic and say that he might be partly responsible for opening it back up. Depends on how successful we are with terminating his contract. I actually think his shenanigans might force the Avs into a retool this summer which should involve the trading of Mikko. You take whatever young talent we get from Mikko and subtract that from the 16M we've opened up and we should still be able to fix the roster moving forward. This could actually be the time in a franchise history where a significant retool actually makes sense and should work out better than the status quo.

I would say that this core and head coach have run its course and is due for a shakeup anyways. Might as well try and get some younger cheaper talent to surround a new smaller core of MacK, Mitts, Landy(?), Makar, and Toews. I know we've got others under contract and that one of Girard or Manson could be moved this summer, but I think they both stay unless we are getting a replacement in the Rants deal. I also think Bednar needs to be challenged by CMac to come up with another offensive strategy. He doesn't have to do away with what he's got but he HAS to have a plan B that isn't, "Just move your feet faster." and he should be using it regularly throughout the regular season to keep the guys used to both. He should be on warning but not necessarily the hot seat. I think he's alluded to the fact that the players aren't necessarily doing what he's asking of them in this series though. It could be that he is asking them to play differently, dump and chase, and they aren't. He's used the work stubborn a few times this series in regard to the struggles they are having.
I like the optimism, but Nuke at 6M is one of the best contracts in the league (when he's not off in the PAP). Losing it to sign Drouin to a bigger contract doesn't make us better

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad