Speculation: Nikolaj Ehlers

Thechozen1

Sep 8, 2021
Can't see him bringing in more than a 2nd and a decent prospect.

Feels like the type of player Florida would bring in.
Similarly valued players bring in 1st’s at TDL. No reason for the Jets to sell him for less.

Bobby9

Feb 10, 2019
No thanks from Van. We have EP40 already. No need for two soft forwards

Thechozen1

Sep 8, 2021
We may find out this summer.
He’s a better player than Dubois and look what that team paid. That’s not to say they’ll get as much, but definitely better than some of these lowball offers.

It’s probably time for a change of scenery for him but damn will I miss his ability to tilt the ice. I will be remain a fan wherever he goes.

NYI365

Let's Go Islanders!
Jun 5, 2011
Merrick, NY
I've been speculating Pulock for Ehlers straight up in my mind for a while. Makes sense as a straight hockey trade. Isles get needed F help. Winnipeg brings home a native Manitoba son to play with Morrissey.

Top 6 F for Top 4 D.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
I've been speculating Pulock for Ehlers straight up in my mind for a while. Makes sense as a straight hockey trade. Isles get needed F help. Winnipeg brings home a native Manitoba son to play with Morrissey.

Top 6 F for Top 4 D.

Not sure about the GM's, I think the Jets would be down for that bc they need D with our (some) UFA's leaving on D

Reactions: NYI365

mr figgles

Mar 24, 2012
Guentzel got what? Conditional 1st and a B prospect? We‘d be looking at less here.

Edit: I double checked, and it‘s a 2nd that becomes a 1st if they make the finals. Might want to temper those expectations.

JetsWillFly4Ever

May 21, 2011
Winnipeg MB.
Has never scored 30 goals and a career high of 64 points.

For some reason I always thought he had bigger totals.
Never been given top line minutes or top PP time for a whole season.

Incredibly efficient 5v5 player that two coaches now have seemed to hate. Doesn't play the style of game coaches like.

Admittedly has been very disappointing in the playoffs.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
I see him being traded as well. If he's going anywhere, probably Florida, Chicago, Vancouver or NYR. Somewhere that could use a LW at his cap.

Probably 1st + 2nd + Prospect + Roster Player. Some may say it's overpay, but the reason I beg to differ is his cap. If he's with the right centreman he'll thrive.

I see him being traded as well. If he's going anywhere, probably Florida, Chicago, Vancouver or NYR. Somewhere that could use a LW at his cap.

Probably 1st + 2nd + Prospect + Roster Player. Some may say it's overpay, but the reason I beg to differ is his cap. If he's with the right centreman he'll thrive.
I think he'd have a better opportunity on RW for NYR. The left side doesn't have much room aside from the 3rd line.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Guentzel got what? Conditional 1st and a B prospect? We‘d be looking at less here.

Edit: I double checked, and it‘s a 2nd that becomes a 1st if they make the finals. Might want to temper those expectations.

Dubas purposefully diluted the value of Jake for a "win now" player in Bunting and some extra pieces.

I think Guentzel returns the typical 1st, 3rd, prospect if he wanted it.

So yeah, that's why I say Ehlers gets a 2nd and a prospect, because despite what Jets fans wanted to say earlier this year, Jake is clearly a step above.

Reactions: AlexBrovechkin8

trebendan

Aug 13, 2010
"I fully expect Ehlers to be shopped — and likely moved — between now and the draft.

Winnipeg has gotten a ton of value out of Ehlers’ six seasons at $6 million from 2018-19 to now. He’s third in goals and fourth in points over the duration of his contract, leading all forwards in plus-minus in that six-year span. His underlying numbers are spectacular, suggesting Winnipeg has gotten a ton of benefit from the good things he does at five-on-five, even when accounting for the chaos, but his playoff production has not matched his regular season efficacy. I wonder if the organization is burned by that."

As a Penguins fan, I would be very intrested in him...what do the Jets want/need?
For Pickering and a cap dump?

Reactions: Gurglesons

Unbiased Fan

May 24, 2019
The extension really only works if the player gets something out of it. And, imo, it's not necessary.

Pulock would give the Jets certainty, and his game is good for the playoffs. He's a guy who isn't spectacular at any one area of the game, but is very versatile. (His slapshot/one timer is not accurate enough to be a PP weapon. His wrist shot, and stick handling abilities otoh are effective.)

Ehlers would be a good fit on the Islanders. Of course, I am still pissed off NYI drafted Dal Colle in 2014, and I would have picked Ehlers at 4 overall. (Not hindsight - now I would pick Nylander.)
I’d imagine the leafs would move Marner for Pulock if that’d be more desirable for the jets

tony135420

Jul 30, 2007
wait, wait...solid regular season production, terrible play off production? Leafs are listening.

All jokeing aside, Leafs should be finding out price.

• Haha
Reactions: TS Quint

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Assuming no team offers an overpay for Ehlers, why does WPG move him? They did this dance with Schiefle and Hellebuyck. I expect the same will be true for Ehlers. WPG will have some discussions they won't get what they want and they will extend him. That's probably best if for all concerned if it plays out that way.

Reactions: TS Quint

jamiebez

Apr 5, 2005
Ottawa
Assuming no team offers an overpay for Ehlers, why does WPG move him? They did this dance with Schiefle and Hellebuyck. I expect the same will be true for Ehlers. WPG will have some discussions they won't get what they want and they will extend him. That's probably best if for all concerned if it plays out that way.
Agree. Past behaviour is the best predictor of future behaviour.

I spent all May & June on these boards last year dreaming up mock Scheifele and Hellebuyck trades only to realize this in July.

Having said that, the trade I think they couldn't say "no" to would be for a Top 4 D of similar age.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Agree. Past behaviour is the best predictor of future behaviour.

I spent all May & June on these boards last year dreaming up mock Scheifele and Hellebuyck trades only to realize this in July.

Having said that, the trade I think they couldn't say "no" to would be for a Top 4 D of similar age.
Top four D can mean different things, but I struggle to see Ehlers return an all situations guy WPG would be happy with. Right handed defenders are seemingly still considered to be at a premium so it's tricky to trade for one.

Drew Doubty

Apr 4, 2010
Vancouver, B.C.
Jets need young RHD and 2C

A convo could maybe be had for a 1st round pick this season since we don't have one

The above value is predicated on him being dealt to a destination where he'd extend and a contract agreed upon in principle that would be signed July 1
Hronek for Ehlers swap?

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com

I feel like WPG ownership hasn't been a fan of Ehlers for a few years.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad