Noah Dobson or Evan Bouchard?

Who becomes the better NHLer, Dobson or Bouchard?

• Noah Dobson

• Evan Bouchard

Results are only viewable after voting.

Oleksiak

Jun 12, 2019
Victoria, BC
If you're so confident in your eye test, why assume that Bouchard wasn't the defenseman who gets lit up defensively and bleeds chances against?
He is; the game is played on the ice, not an excel spreadsheet. I don't care what those stats say to be honest as I think anayltics are as valuable as parachutes in estate sales. It's painfully obvious watching Bouchard play that he has no hope of ever learning how to play acceptable defence at the NHL level. Any stats that suggest otherwise are suspect

Oleksiak

Jun 12, 2019
Victoria, BC
In other words, you cannot support your opinion, and have no argument. You also didn't correct for variables. You have to consider that he is a rookie when the thread is centred on a forward looking premise. But instead, you compared him to an 11 year vet. This tells me that you're being disingenuous with your opinion, and that your opinion in-turn holds no value.

It's funny that you characterize him as slow, when neutral fans in here keep stating that his skating is not the impediment that it was made out to be. You hate analytics? Cool, let's go old school and point out that he leads his team in +/- (as a top pairing rookie). I'm just looking for a bit of information to support your claim that he is a "massive defensive liability" who is "far worse than simply below average."
How about seeing him disgrace his country in the WJHC a couple of years ago? He is still just as terrible in his own zone now as he was then The thread is about Dobson and Bouchard; I am simply saying that Dobson has some hope of being a solid contributor in his own zone.

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
How about seeing him disgrace his country in the WJHC a couple of years ago? He is still just as terrible in his own zone now as he was then The thread is about Dobson and Bouchard; I am simply saying that Dobson has some hope of being a solid contributor in his own zone.

Cringe.

Teenage hockey players who make a national team do not disgrace their country. That is the hottest of takes I think I’ve ever read on HFBoards and god knows there are some screaming hot ones on here. Now, can posters disgrace themselves? Yes, so I’ve heard.

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
And no one cares about Oiler fans who can't handle people who are critical of the Oilers. This isn't the Oilers board; people are going to give opinions you may not like considering one of the players in question is a massive defensive liability.

You critical on the Oilers is nothing but BS per usual. Where's your stats to provide Bouchard being an apparent massive defensive liability? You got absolutely 0

Oleksiak

Jun 12, 2019
Victoria, BC
Cringe.

Teenage hockey players who make a national team do not disgrace their country. That is the hottest of takes I think I’ve ever read on HFBoards and god knows there are some screaming hot ones on here. Now, can posters disgrace themselves? Yes, so I’ve heard.
He should not have even made the team; he played like complete trash all camp and didn't even attempt to play acceptable defence once the tournament started. I can live with it if he was putting in an honest effort, but he didn't even care and added laziness to his already long list of defensive deficiencies. Tim Hunter should be ashamed of himself for allowing Bouchard to continue playing like trash despite it being obvious he couldn't play defence and didn't care to learn.

Oleksiak

Jun 12, 2019
Victoria, BC
You critical on the Oilers is nothing but BS per usual. Where's your stats to provide Bouchard being an apparent massive defensive liability? You got absolutely 0
I've seen him play at multiple levels; it's pretty much impossible to measure how bad someone is in their own zone statistically, so the eye test is the best solution. Given you're an Oilers fan, you might be a little biased here; try watching teams that make being able to play in one's own zone a requirement to play on their blueline.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
I've seen him play at multiple levels; it's pretty much impossible to measure how bad someone is in their own zone statistically, so the eye test is the best solution. Given you're an Oilers fan, you might be a little biased here; try watching teams that make being able to play in one's own zone a requirement to play on their blueline.
When it’s only your eyes coming to this conclusion.

maybe your eyes are the issue.

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
When it’s only your eyes coming to this conclusion.

maybe your eyes are the issue.
upload_2021-12-4_16-58-7.jpeg

AnInjuredJasonZucker

Feb 21, 2014
I ask for just a dram of support for your position that he is a "massive defensive liability" and all you've got is the WJC from a couple of years ago? And he disgraced his country? Did this guy run over your dog or something? Because you seem to have no objectivity.

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
I ask for just a dram of support for your position that he is a "massive defensive liability" and all you've got is the WJC from a couple of years ago? And he disgraced his country? Did this guy run over your dog or something? Because you seem to have no objectivity.

If Bouchard wasn't wearing an Oilers jersey, he wouldn't be saying anything. His lame narratives on the Oilers is just as bad as his fellow canucks fan aka 3 on 0

Oleksiak

Jun 12, 2019
Victoria, BC
If Bouchard wasn't wearing an Oilers jersey, he wouldn't be saying anything. His lame narratives on the Oilers is just as bad as his fellow canucks fan aka 3 on 0
I'd say the same about Gostisbehere, Rielly, Dunn, or literally any defencemen who can't play defence. Bouchard was the subject of this poll though.

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
I've called out Rielly multiple times on here. If you can't handle Bouchard getting a little heat, maybe stay on the Oilers boards.

Except your heat is nothing but garbage. Instead of actual proof of how Bouchard is this apparent defensively poor dman, your argument is 'my eye test' which is frankly BS. Your eye test is better than actual stats? Maybe the canucks should hire you then, so maybe Elias Pettersson will get out of his funk or Quinn Hughes being better defensively without having Tanev to support him :laugh:

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
Except your heat is nothing but garbage. Instead of actual proof of how Bouchard is this apparent defensively poor dman, your argument is 'my eye test' which is frankly BS. Your eye test is better than actual stats? Maybe the canucks should hire you then, so maybe Elias Pettersson will get out of his funk or Quinn Hughes being better defensively without having Tanev to support him :laugh:
He probably thinks Luke Schenn is the next Bobby Orr, I mean, he did pass the eye test and score the other night, right? (no disrespect to Luke Schenn who is a fine man, but not to be confused with Mr Orr).

soothsayer

Oct 27, 2009
I've called out Rielly multiple times on here. If you can't handle Bouchard getting a little heat, maybe stay on the Oilers boards.

People should be able to criticize Bouchard, and they do. For one, he needs to work on his pivot, or at least learn to read the play a little quicker when transitioning from attacking to defending. But you haven't really said anything remotely reasonable or based on evidence. Your claim boils down to, "I say he's a disaster defensively, so he's a disaster defensively." It's not a serious criticism, which is why no one thinks you're arguing in good faith. Like, at all. It's borderline Knightslayer bad, but at least you aren't threatening to fight anyone lol.

Oleksiak

Jun 12, 2019
Victoria, BC
There are no actual stats that accurately reflect how a defenceman plays in his own zone.

Oleksiak

Jun 12, 2019
Victoria, BC
People should be able to criticize Bouchard, and they do. For one, he needs to work on his pivot, or at least learn to read the play a little quicker when transitioning from attacking to defending. But you haven't really said anything remotely reasonable or based on evidence. Your claim boils down to, "I say he's a disaster defensively, so he's a disaster defensively." It's not a serious criticism, which is why no one thinks you're arguing in good faith. Like, at all. It's borderline Knightslayer bad, but at least you aren't threatening to fight anyone lol.
Fine. He is easy to go wide on, doesn't use his size effectively, has a super low compete level, struggles with his positioning, and has a tough time getting back quickly enough to his own zone when the opponents counterattack.

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
Eye test is the best solution? What does the eye test tell about Hughes’ defensive acumen over the past 2 years?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad