OT: Non-Hockey Sports Thread XII - Heeeeeeressss JJ! (Percy Harvin Edition)

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Id even rather have Sam Darnold over Baker, even if i think Baker is better than Darnold. And its really nothing against Baker either he just going to wanna cash in after the decent year he had. For me its really just the price point.

Id rather have that extra money to help re sign Danielle or bring in Christian Wilkins from Miami. Hed be a great get for us.
What is Darnold asking?

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Russ reminds me of Keenum in playstyle. Good to have in a pinch but not someone you want to rely on.
Wilson has a rocket of an arm, while Keenum has a noodle. Apparently Wilson no longer has the escapability that he used to, but in his prime he was 10 times the QB Case is. I do wonder if Wilson has just gotten hit too many times, and it affects his judgement.

Minnewildsota

He who laughs last thinks slowest
Jun 7, 2010
What is Darnold asking?
How do I become a decent QB

Wilson has a rocket of an arm, while Keenum has a noodle. Apparently Wilson no longer has the escapability that he used to, but in his prime he was 10 times the QB Case is. I do wonder if Wilson has just gotten hit too many times, and it affects his judgement.
Yeah, I said playstyle. The scramble and basically hock it up hoping the WR catches the ball. Obviously Russ has better attributes.

• Haha
Reactions: TaLoN

Sad People

Jun 4, 2021
I'm confused why Darnold is in there. He's a shit QB.
None of them are really good QB at this point in time. Hes a cheap option whos also a vetran and knows how to be a pro. Stop gaps are hardly every good QBs and thats what were looking for.

The "its all about the price point" is the main thing you wanna focus on.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Wilson can't read a defense to Save his life. He's not smart.
Baker is a smart QB.
Tannehill is Toast.

Minnewildsota

Jun 7, 2010
None of them are really good QB at this point in time. Hes a cheap option whos also a vetran and knows how to be a pro. Stop gaps are hardly every good QBs and thats what were looking for.

The "its all about the price point" is the main thing you wanna focus on.
I'm not looking for a great QB, I'm looking for a serviceable QB. Sam Darnold is not that. I'd take Minshew over Darnold.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
I'm not looking for a great QB, I'm looking for a serviceable QB. Sam Darnold is not that. I'd take Minshew over Darnold.
I agree Minshew is better, but depending on the draft, the price difference for Darnold does help. We still have $28m in dead cap for Kirk.
Sometimes you take a couple steps back to get moving forward again.

Minnewildsota

Jun 7, 2010
I agree Minshew is better, but depending on the draft, the price difference for Darnold does help. We still have $28m in dead cap for Kirk.
I, again, will have to dig up the article but it sounds like the Vikings are going after Jayden Daniels pretty hard. I would be ok with this.

Reactions: TaLoN

Minnewildsota

Jun 7, 2010
Additionally, I wasn't aware of this but the Vikings tried really hard to try to trade up to draft Richardson last year:

"I still think Minnesota's gonna try to make a move. I think they're at 12 right now. And Jayden Daniels, I feel, he's a Kevin O'Connell type of quarterback to me. Like (Michael) Penix (Jr.) as well, but I really do think that the added mobility and all the stuff you can do with (Daniels) in the run game is kind of a factor there. If they tried and failed to get Anthony Richardson last year for that exact reason, I have to imagine Daniels is on the list too. If they can go up and get him, I think they will."

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
I, again, will have to dig up the article but it sounds like the Vikings are going after Jayden Daniels pretty hard. I would be ok with this.

The only knock on Daniels is that for a QB with a slight build, he likes to run quite a bit. My worry is that could lead to injuries and a short NFL career.

Sad People

Jun 4, 2021
For 1 year hes more then serviceable.

I think youre getting hung up who the player is too much. No matter how you slice the pie its a stop gap QB and they arent in our future plans. We arent vying for the SB or even the playoffs next year. So why does it matter that much who the starting QB is as long as theyre a vetran in the league, know how to be a professional QB, show up to work and they are a cheap option. Crap give me Tyrod for 1 year on a cheap 3-5 million dollar deal over spending 25+ for a stop gap.

Id like to try and mirror what the Colts did last year. To me they played it pretty perfectly.

Additionally, I wasn't aware of this but the Vikings tried really hard to try to trade up to draft Richardson last year:

They did. They apparently offered a haul for him but the team that we offered the package to thought wed be too good and the picks would be too late in the draft.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN

I think youre getting hung up who the player is too much. No matter how you slice the pie its a stop gap QB and they arent in our future plans. We arent vying for the SB or even the playoffs next year. So why does it matter that much who the starting QB is as long as theyre a vetran in the league, know how to be a professional QB, show up to work and they are a cheap option. Crap give me Tyrod for 1 year on a cheap 3-5 million dollar deal over spending 25+ for a stop gap.

Id like to try and mirror what the Colts did last year. To me they played it pretty perfectly.
I'd take Tyrod over Russ

Sad People

Jun 4, 2021
There was also a report that the Pats are leaning towards stockpiling picks to re tool as well so they might be a trader partner. Also in the AFC which is a plus.

Minnewildsota

Jun 7, 2010

Well, my assumption, in your scenario, is that we still want to win - Why spend "big" in FA on defense this year if it's just a stop gap?

Sad People

Jun 4, 2021
This website for me right now is borderline unusable. The lag is ridiculous.
Well, my assumption, in your scenario, is that we still want to win - Why spend "big" in FA on defense this year if it's just a stop gap?
Why would we completely ignore an area of need? This line of thinking doesnt make much sense to me. We bring in Christin Wilkins itd be more than just 1 year. Itd be for 5+ when were actually vying for a SB with the rookie QB on their rookie contract.

Last edited:

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
This website for me right now is borderline unusable. The lag is ridiculous.

Why would we completely ignore an area of need? This line of thinking doesnt make much sense to me. We bring in Christina Wilkins itd be more than just 1 year. Itd be for 5+ when were actually vying for a SB with the rookie QB on their rookie contract.
You also mentioned paying Hunter

Sad People

Jun 4, 2021
Especially on aging and declining pass rushers
Whos the declining pass rusher? Danielle just had his best year of his career. Christian Wilkins is the exact piece this defense has been missing since Linval Joeseph.

You also mentioned paying Hunter
It was an either or situation.

Pay either Danielle Hunter or Christian Wilkins with the extra money.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
At this point, Minnesota needs to stay at 11 and not move up. They have way too many holes and giving up any future picks is just going to bite them in the ass. I'm still pissed they lost a third as this year's draft is pretty deep.

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
At this point, Minnesota needs to stay at 11 and not move up. They have way too many holes and giving up any future picks is just going to bite them in the ass. I'm still pissed they lost a third as this year's draft is pretty deep.

The NFL has shown us that more often than not, it's almost impossible to win a Super Bowl (or even get to the SB) without a legit franchise QB. I don't have an issue with the Vikings moving up to grab one. It really all depends on who they target and what they are willing to give up to get him.

Yes, there are some holes, especially on defense. But the offensive line is decent and there are plenty of offensive weapons. Maybe we can fill some of these defensive holes via free agency.

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
The NFL has shown us that more often than not, it's almost impossible to win a Super Bowl (or even get to the SB) without a legit franchise QB. I don't have an issue with the Vikings moving up to grab one. It really all depends on who they target and what they are willing to give up to get him.

Yes, there are some holes, especially on defense. But the offensive line is decent and there are plenty of offensive weapons. Maybe we can fill some of these defensive holes via free agency.
What’s a franchise QB? I wouldn’t put Purdy as a franchise guy and he almost won a SB this year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad