Proposal: Number 2 pick

goblix

May 11, 2013
I'm not sure you know what "eventually" means.

Are you still talking about the Flyers?

Yeah not really saying that Fliers have amassed prospects like Toronto or Edmonton have done in the umpteenth years that they have been miserable. What I'm getting at is they are in a team on the upswing, they are not rebuilders, and they have contributing youth that are building upon their core group.

I'm not really sure what your main holes are but my guess is that it would primarily be RHD defenders.

Jack de la Hoya

Jun 30, 2011
Texas
Yeah not really saying that Fliers have amassed prospects like Toronto or Edmonton have done in the umpteenth years that they have been miserable. What I'm getting at is they are in a team on the upswing, they are not rebuilders, and they have contributing youth that are building upon their core group.

I'm not really sure what your main holes are but my guess is that it would primarily be RHD defenders.

Biggest organizational need is a future 1C. Literally.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
One is about to fall in our laps by the grace of God. Don't overthink this. Just draft the guy the Devils don't.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Capitalizing on Giroux's, Voracek's, & Simmonds' primes has essentially passed at this point. The Flyers need a potential #1 center & they only way to really acquire one is by drafting high.

goblix

May 11, 2013
Biggest organizational need is a future 1C. Literally.

Capitalizing on Giroux's, Voracek's, & Simmonds' primes has essentially passed at this point. The Flyers need a potential #1 center & they only way to really acquire one is by drafting high.

future 1C's don't have to come from a top 2 pick and you have Giroux for another 5 years.. Probably 4-5 years of him being a #1C.
Course Giroux was a 22nd overall pick.

But I mean if you have no faith in Giroux / Simmonds / Vorachek / Provorov / Gostisbehere as a core to the stanley cup then yes it would make sense to keep the #2 OA pick.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
They don't have to but statistically that's your best bet. Claude Giroux's at #22 are pretty far & between. Different era too, teams aren't afraid of drafting smaller players with center potential anymore which makes it even harder.

I like Giroux but he's not the same player he was years ago & isn't getting any younger. I want more insurance at this point with going forward.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Hextall wont even entertain the idea of trading the #2 pick unless its for an under-24 1C, and they get traded just about never.

Jack de la Hoya

Jun 30, 2011
Texas
future 1C's don't have to come from a top 2 pick and you have Giroux for another 5 years.. Probably 4-5 years of him being a #1C.
Course Giroux was a 22nd overall pick.

But I mean if you have no faith in Giroux / Simmonds / Vorachek / Provorov / Gostisbehere as a core to the stanley cup then yes it would make sense to keep the #2 OA pick.

It makes sense to keep it anyway unless they use it to get another potential 1C.

I'd probably trade the pick for Mackinnon, but I understand why others wouldn't.

goblix

May 11, 2013
They don't have to but statistically that's your best bet. Claude Giroux's at #22 are pretty far & between. Different era too, teams aren't afraid of drafting smaller players with center potential anymore which makes it even harder.

I like Giroux but he's not the same player he was years ago & isn't getting any younger. I want more insurance at this point with going forward.

i hear ya there, that said more insurance is not necessary a for sure thing.

I look at your team and it looks pretty good with center depth to me.
Giroux / Schenn / Couturier
Seems like a good top 9. All are under 30 too.
Or does Schenn play as a top 6 winger ?

You also have Travis Konechy who put up respectable numbers for a rookie forward and has tremendous upside as well.

Can someone layout the flier's roster lineup I live in the west so I catch the odd flier game but not often?

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
i hear ya there, that said more insurance is not necessary a for sure thing.

I look at your team and it looks pretty good with center depth to me.
Giroux / Schenn / Couturier
Seems like a good top 9. All are under 30 too.
Or does Schenn play as a top 6 winger ?

You also have Travis Konechy who put up respectable numbers for a rookie forward and has tremendous upside as well.

Can someone layout the flier's roster lineup I live in the west so I catch the odd flier game but not often?

Schenn is a winger.

By drafting Nolan/Nico, it perfectly fits our needs NOW AND LATER.

Lindblom Giroux Voracek
Flip Nico/Nolan Simmonds
Konecny Couturier Schenn

Then the next best forward is between Raffl, Weise, Cousins.

See how that drafting at #2 fits perfectly to our depth chart? You say you don't know the flyers lineup, yet are on here trying to tell Flyers fans what the Flyers should do. Maybe just ask what we should do and listen to that. And as you can see, everyone wants to draft whoever NJ passes on between Nolan/Nico.

We have the d prospects coming and adding Nico/Nolan gives us a possible future #1 C who matches their ages. It also gives us flexibility to move Rubstov to wing later on so we always have a natural C on the wing in times of injuries.

Jack de la Hoya

Jun 30, 2011
Texas
Neither Schenn nor Konecny play center.

Best guess, right now and excluding the #2 overall, is something like...

Lindblom - Giroux - Voracek
Konecny - Couturier - Schenn
Raffl/Weal - Filppula - Simmonds
Raffl/Weal - Laughton - PEB
Cousins

Assumes Read is taken in ED

goblix

May 11, 2013
Schenn is a winger.

By drafting Nolan/Nico, it perfectly fits our needs NOW AND LATER.

Lindblom Giroux Voracek
Flip Nico/Nolan Simmonds
Konecny Couturier Schenn

Then the next best forward is between Raffl, Weise, Cousins.

See how that drafting at #2 fits perfectly to our depth chart? You say you don't know the flyers lineup, yet are on here trying to tell Flyers fans what the Flyers should do. Maybe just ask what we should do and listen to that. And as you can see, everyone wants to draft whoever NJ passes on between Nolan/Nico.

Well whole point of a discussion is to put ones points and try to make a case for it. So no I'm not telling anyone to do anything. Mainly when I look at cap friendly I see a bunch of nice top 9 forwards there already. Some insane LHD and very few RHD.

Schenn is listed as a center / winger, same with Konechy and Flipula. I also looked through some game logs and saw some where he scored with assists from Vorachek and Simmonds. Which is why I wanted to verify.

Anyways I am always leery to put that much pressure on a 17 year old to produce on the NHL and to bank on it is a pretty risky model.

What about the defense? how does that shape out ?

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Sometimes I worry about future neck problems, due to all the headshaking I do when reading things posted on this board...

Sawdalite

SelectLouNolan4PFHoF
Apr 5, 2009
Frost-Bite Fails Minnesota
Okay... Just to liven up the Thread... but by no means saying that I'd go for this... I'm just interested in hearing thoughts on it.

Flyers get: Drouin, 2017 TB #1, 2018 TB #1, 2017 TB#2

Lightening get: Flyers #1 (#2OA), Andrew McDonald, Flyers 2017 #2
OR................. Flyers #1, AMac, P. Myers (or another lower prime D Prospect)

Note: Please keep in mind that McDonald included is a $5M/3year asset FOR the Flyers

EDIT: AMac Cap used to help fund re-signed Druoin... Filp Cap and any leftover from AMac used next Summer to help fund UFA #2 Center... G is #1 until a Prospect is ready.

:popcorn:

Last edited:

Flyerfan13

Sponsor
Nov 17, 2016
We have cap space losing MacDonald's cap hit is not worth giving up the chance to draft a #1C.

Sawdalite

SelectLouNolan4PFHoF
Apr 5, 2009
Frost-Bite Fails Minnesota
So Drouin, a high #1 this Season and possible high next Season plus a high #2... along with the moving of AMac -- freeing up a D Slot along with the $5M -- does nothing for you guys?

Drouin is proven on a somewhat small sample... the two Top Selections are by no means sure things.

#DevilsAdvocate

Grare

Registered Factor
Nov 15, 2013
Don't want another small play making winger, ESP when our only true need seems to be a Giroux replacement in a few years, & we don't foresee a top 5 pick again. Rather not try to luck into getting that, we already did just make the pick!

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
Diversifying is not what this team needs. It is assuredly not a question of value. Unless someone gives me a player that could fill the 1C role both now and in 5-7 years, I am content. The problem with that is finding another team that would, which is incredibly unlikely.

The secondary assets should not sway your opinion on the base. The last few years of gutting and developing well allow Hextall to be picky.

Cyborg LeClair

Thank You Mr. Snider
Nov 18, 2011
Jurassic Park
So Drouin, a high #1 this Season and possible high next Season plus a high #2... along with the moving of AMac -- freeing up a D Slot along with the $5M -- does nothing for you guys?

Drouin is proven on a somewhat small sample... the two Top Selections are by no means sure things.

#DevilsAdvocate

Wouldnt you save more money/break even by having a cost controlled #2OV pick on your team rather than re-signing Drouin? Mac's hit doesn't really hurt us terribly either. And the roster spot? He played half the season in the AHL last year. Its not like hes guaranteed a spot like Meatshield and Junior

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad