Of these 3 teams, did they underachieve, overachieve, or met expectations in the Salary Cap era

what do you think?

• Total voters

slapKing

Feb 12, 2020
Canada
Pittsburgh, Washington, and Boston. All three teams have won Stanley Cups, but given their success, did you expect them to win more cups, or at least have more deep runs in the playoffs?

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Bruins overachieved getting a Cup, considering where they were drafting from.
Caps met expectations considering where they drafted from.
Pens met expectations considering they won the Crosby lottery.

Pittsburgh met expectations
Washington overachieved
Boston Overachieved

edit: I thought it was for this season lol on me
Me too!

Caps8112

Sponsor
Aug 12, 2008
I still think of the Capitals as underachievers despite the Cup. Should've had way more than one actual run with the teams they had.
I’d say the only seasons that were actually disappointing were the two 2nd round losses to Pitt right before winning the cup. The cup finals was that series both years. Outside of that there were fundamental flaws in the rest of the caps rosters in the salary cap era. The early ovi teams had 7 guys named sally playing defense and no goalie of any kind

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Pittsburgh met expectations
Washington overachieved
Boston Overachieved

edit: I thought it was for this season lol on me
Me too but you can change your vote.

As for the actual question I think the Pens overachieved since the lockout given their cumulative rosters with 3 SC and another SC final.

Washington even with that SC couldn't get out of the second round enough to say that they met expectations right.

Boston also probably unachieved as a whole given the way their teams were built.

All that being said though it hard to say any or them "underachieved" or put another way that it matters as all 3 have won the ultimate prize.

Reactions: slapKing

Caps8112

Sponsor
Aug 12, 2008
Pitt winning 3 cups is gravy and everything. Boston didn’t really draft anyone that would have made you think they were a sure fire contender every season. They just built good teams and had luck getting excellent goaltenders

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
If you have a generational talent, you have to win a Cup or more and make the Finals a few times.

Boston over.

Pittsburgh met.

Washington under.
Is a generational talent really more important than overall team construction?

After all this is hockey not basketball right?

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
I still think of the Capitals as underachievers despite the Cup. Should've had way more than one actual run with the teams they had.
Winning a cup meets the expectation of any core. If the Hawks or Pens only 1 cup that wouldn't be a disappointment either.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Penguins are borderline "met expectations" and "overachieved" for me. I don't mean "overachieved" as an insult, but winning 3 cups is really difficult.

Capitals are firmly "underachieved" for me. Yeah, they had that 1 cup, but they got out of the 2nd round literally once with Ovi. Considering the talent they've had over the years, only having 1 deep run is definitely not meeting expectations.

Bruins would be "met expectations" for me. Maybe you can argue only 1 cup wasn't enough, but they made 3 cup finals and went on numerous deep runs. Winning cups are hard, so I don't feel right criticizing them for only having 1 cup. The difference between them and the Capitals is them going on far more deep runs while not getting an Ovi caliber franchise player with a high pick.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
Winning a cup meets the expectation of any core. If the Hawks or Pens only 1 cup that wouldn't be a disappointment either.
Disagree. With the talent on those Hawks teams and the talent of Crosby/Malkin it would’ve been a major disappointment had they respectively only one won Cup.

Pens fans can back me up on this but I think around 2014/15 it was getting concerning that generational talents Sid and Geno would only bring one championship in 09 to Pittsburgh. It just doesn’t match the expectations considering how amazing of players they were. At least for me as Blackhawks fan had they only won once in 2010 it wouldn’t have made much sense considering how amazing of a roster they had put together.

For example, I’m expecting Colorado to win at least one more championship. They’re simply too talented to only win one. I’m also expecting McDavid to win one in his career at some point. The best players and the best teams generally win championships. I’m expecting Bedard to win one as well considering the caliber of player he’s likely to become.

Washington met expectations because with a talent like Ovechkin I’d be surprised if he never won once. I don’t think they underachieved however because those teams were never really better than their competition.The Hawks/Kings/Pens were always a level above so I’m not sure where those expected Cup wins were going to come from.

Boston are under achievers. Great regular season team but too often collapse when things get real in the playoffs. They had no business losing to St. Louis for instance

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
Boston underachieved.

Pittsburgh overachieved, which is propably why Washington underachieved.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
It’s more rare.

It’s easier to construct a team with one than without one.
I guess that depends on the term generational I guess.

Gretzky didn't win one after Edmonton, Maruo only won 2 even with a prime Jagr never really got close again, Crosby 4 finals in 19 years, McDavid never out of the conference.

So most SC teams in the modern era don't have a generational guy.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I guess that depends on the term generational I guess.

Gretzky didn't win one after Edmonton, Maruo only won 2 even with a prime Jagr never really got close again, Crosby 4 finals in 19 years, McDavid never out of the conference.

So most SC teams in the modern era don't have a generational guy.

And yet most generational guys have won a Cup.

Is McDavid the only one who hasn’t thus far?

It obviously is going to get tougher as more teams are in the league.

By contrast, I know plenty of well constructed teams that haven’t won a Cup. You would probably include every President’s Trophy winner in there who fell short in the post-season.

If the criteria for a well constructed team is winning the Cup, then you are gaming the question.

Buck Naked

Can't-Stand-Ya
Aug 18, 2016
How did Pens overachieve with 3 cups with Crosby and Malkin? How many should they instead have won?

In a 30+ team league, no team should be expected to win three cups. There's just way too much variance and talent spread out across the NHL.

Reactions: wetcoast

Rowlet

Sponsor
Oct 13, 2018
Pittsburgh met expectations, arguably overachieved

Washington underachieved, they won the cup but it came very late, they also had basically no other successful playoff runs and regularly went out early.

Boston underachieved because they lost twice in the cup finals, they won once but it was with, ironically, one of their weaker teams of the cap era. If they don't win the cup in 2011 they would likely go down as career playoff chokers, 8 cup finals losses in a row, no wins since 1972, and another 5 losses in a row before 1970.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad