Speculation: Offseason coaching thread: Should they stay or should they go?

Coaches:

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
There are literally countless examples of coaches being bad for one team being great for another team. Berube showed he was a horrendous coach for the Flyers and then was the spark the Blues needed to win a cup. Hakstol also went from being a horrid Flyers coach to having success with the Kraken too. Tocchett was a miserable failure as the Coyotes head coach, and he's now likely going to either win or be a finalist for the Jack Adams this year with the Canucks.

Sullivan has stunk in the last few years for the Penguins, but I absolutely do not want to see how he'd do as a coach of a team with the upside as the Devils. At his best, he has shown to be a terrific coach and that on a team as talented as the Devils is terrifying.

There’s also 3 straight examples of Penguins coaches being total failures after their time with PIT.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
Like I said in the past, it's not about the best coach but the RIGHT coach at the right time. Like...when the team quits on a stale message and need a new voice.

I think it’s been about having two of the best forwards and one of the best defensemen to ever play the game for a lot of these coaches and the indictment is the fact that they can’t figure it out beyond that.

Mike Sullivan is not a good coach. A good coach would have the Penguins functioning with Sid and Malkin and Letang playing the way they have over the past few years. Instead just like Bylsma and MJ, they are forced to achieve while being tied down by their staff. The PP and 3v3 is a perfect example of that this season.

DesertedPenguin

Mar 11, 2007
If it happens again it’s rebuild time. You don’t bounce back not making the playoffs 3 years in a row.
Right, which is why I think that's when a mutual separation would occur. If they miss again, I think it's entirely possible Malkin retires, additional trades occur, and Sid/Letang are the only ones left to serve as an example to the youngsters.

Reactions: 66-30-33

GilbertSeinfeld

Mar 4, 2024
Right, which is why I think that's when a mutual separation would occur. If they miss again, I think it's entirely possible Malkin retires, additional trades occur, and Sid/Letang are the only ones left to serve as an example to the youngsters.
Malkin won't retire, but he could develop an allergic reaction to his equipment.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Guess who these are? Lol

Coach A - .627 Regular season points percentage, .572 regular season win percentage, .537 playoff win percentage
Coach B - .615 Regular season points percentage, .566 regular season win percentage, .551 playoff win percentage

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
Come on, Kyle. At least kick Reirden and Vellucci to the curb.
According to Rossi/Yohe, Sullivan is loyal to his staff and wants to bring them all back, for whatever that's worth.

I know Sullivan won't be fired but can you even imagine running this thing back with the same exact coaching staff as last year? That would be absolutely insane to me to even consider doing that.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA

Keefe is likely going to join this group as well.

Hopefully Sullivan too.

According to Rossi/Yohe, Sullivan is loyal to his staff and wants to bring them all back, for whatever that's worth.

I know Sullivan won't be fired but can you even imagine running this thing back with the same exact coaching staff as last year? That would be absolutely insane to me to even consider doing that.

Hey only 18 other teams fired their coach. You have to make a coaching move if you fire a coach!

GilbertSeinfeld

Mar 4, 2024

*tightens noose*

• Haha
Reactions: Pancakes

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
Hey only 18 other teams fired their coach. You have to make a coaching move if you fire a coach!
If you have a Sullivan or a Reirden you don't go looking for them!

Keefe is likely going to join this group as well.

I know we all joke about Dubas scooping up Keefe as soon as he's available but it would be pretty funny if the Pens did actually do that but instead of putting Keefe as HC just doing it to make him a Sully assistant.

It'd be the most hated Pens staff of all time.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad