Buffalo Bills Offseason part 3, redux. Free agency and new league year begin March 16th, 4pm.

Status
Not open for further replies.

misterchainsaw

Preparing PHASE TWO!
Nov 3, 2005
Rochester, NY
I feel like they still need someone competent at linebacker. Milano's certainly not a guarantee to stay healthy all year. Figure they probably draft a corner to give Jackson some competition at the CB2 spot as well. Other than that, hard to see any holes. Certainly looks like a better roster than last year on paper when you consider they've yet to draft.

kirby11

Mar 16, 2011
Buffalo, NY
I feel like they still need someone competent at linebacker. Milano's certainly not a guarantee to stay healthy all year. Figure they probably draft a corner to give Jackson some competition at the CB2 spot as well. Other than that, hard to see any holes. Certainly looks like a better roster than last year on paper when you consider they've yet to draft.
Hope they retain Bates, otherwise RG becomes a pretty significant need.

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT

Sal does a pretty good roster tracker. When I have a chance I’ll try to break out for you who is actually making the team versus a camp body.

Anyway my roster assessment as of now would be:

QB: Allen, Barkley/Keenum
RB: Singletary, Moss, Duke
WR: Diggs, Davis, McKenzie, Crowder
TE: Knox, Howard, Gilliam
OT: Dawkins, Brown, Doyle
IOL: Morse, Saffold, Mancz/Ford, Bates (if retained)
Offense: 19

DE: Von, Rousseau, Basham, Epenesa, Shaq
DT: Oliver, Settle, Phillips, Jones
LB: Edmunds, Milano
CB: White, Johnson, Jackson, Neal, Lewis
S: Hyde, Poyer, Johnson, Hamlin
SP: Bass, Haack (or a replacement), Furgeson
Defense/ST: 23

Total: 42

With the following guys under contract with a chance but far from guaranteed spots:
-Offense: Losing QB, Hodgins, Gentry, Kumerow, Sweeney, Morris, Capra, Mancz/Ford loser
-Defense: Love, Bryant, Ankou, Dodson, Matakevich, Smith, Gills-Harris, Lee, McCliud, Griffin, Harris, Thomas

So it doesn't actually strike me as that full yet. Basically the 8ish draft picks they currently have would be competing with these guys (not exactly a star-studded list) for about 11 spots. That strikes me as reasonable. Some observations:

-We're still very light at LB depth. Pretty much all of the guys behind Edmunds and Milano are just special teams guys. If we don't sign smeone there soon I would pencil in a LB in the mid rounds at the latest.
-The DL room is very full. I really hope we don't draft anyone there remotely high, it's going to be so hard for them to see the field.
-Despite the addition of Crowder, the WR room still strikes me as light. Yes Hodgins and Stevensen could emerge, but they've done nothing yet and Gentry and Kumerow are just ST guys. I think they're drafting a WR in the first 3 rounds and very likely in the first if someone they like is there.
-I still think the IOL lacks someone top of depth chart, even if they retain Bates. I expect that to be filled with Jurgens, Strange, or one of the other many amazing athletes at IOL in this draft.
-With a decent amount of late picks that might struggle to make the roster, I wonder if they take another flier on a QB to try developing as a long term backup. It's usually a wasted pick, but maybe they take another swing. EJ Perry is a random name I'll throw out there. Tough very fast QB that runs like Allen despite being pretty average size. His arm is nothing special and he played in the ivy league so he's a late round guy at best, but would be a fun developmental option.

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT

As I said above, two glaring depth chart needs:
-WRs that can play outside behind Diggs/Davis
-LBs that can play LB and not just STs behind Edmunds/Milano.

I'll also throw out there that although I firmly expect Doyle to be the swing tackle this year, there's no way we go into camp with just 3 OTs on the roster. I'm expect a vet minimum signing, some camp bodies, and I'm now going to start poking around for a day 3 type in the draft with G/T flexability.

More and more I'm convincing myself the first 3 picks will be WR, IOL, and LB in some order. CB would be the big wildcard if they finally decide to address the CB2 position.

But who am I getting they're drafting 8 DEs

Reactions: kirby11

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
Another tie! Kyler Gordon and George Karlaftis both get 33% of the vote and come off the board. I decided to take a small liberty with the add. David Ojabo overwhelmingly won the add poll with 56% of the vote, but given (1) he's dead; (2) 2 are coming off the board, adding just one would leave us with just 4 in the poll, one of which isn't playing this year and another is a QB. So I'm adding the #2 option as well, Jalen Pitre. Yes, I'm 100% biased as I've wanted to vote for him for a few rounds now, but well, of well.

New poll here: 2022 HF Bills Big Board 30

1. Aiden Hutchinson, EDGE, Michigan (72.7%)
2. Kayvon Thibodeaux, EDGE Oregon (72.7%)
3. Evan Neal, OT, Alabama (66.7%)
4. Ikem Ekwonu, OT, NC State (72.7%)
5. Kyle Hamilton, S, Notre Dame (44.4%)
6. Tyler Linderbaum, C, Iowa (28.6%)
6. Ahmad Gardner, CB, Cincinnati (28.6%)
8. Derek Stingley Jr., CB, LSU (30%)
9. Kenyon Green, G, Texas A&M (42.9%)
10. Garrett Wilson, WR, Ohio State (25%)
10. Andrew Booth Jr., CB, Clemson (25%)
12. Jermaine Johnson, EDGE, Florida State (28.6%)
12. Travon Walker, EDGE, Georgia (28.6%)
14. Trent McDuffie, CB, Washington (50%)
15. Devin Lloyd, LB, Utah (37.5%)
16. Drake London, WR, USC (42.9%)
17. Treylon Burks, WR, Arkansas (33.3%)
17. Jordan Davis, DT, Georgia (33.3%)
19. Charles Cross, OT, Mississippi State (57.1%)
20. Nakobe Dean, LB, Georgia (55.6%)
21. Zion Johnson, G, Boston College (44.4%)
22. Daxton Hill, S, Michigan (33.3%)
22. Jameson Williams, WR, Alabama (33.3%)
24. Chris Olave, WR, Ohio State (66.7%)
25. Roger McCreary, CB, Auburn (50%)
26. Kaiir Elam, CB, Florida (60%)
27. Jahan Dotson, WR, Penn State (50%)
28. George Karlaftis, DE, Purdue (33.3%)
28. Kyler Gordon, CB, Washington (33.3%)
Reminder to vote!

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY

I'll also throw out there that although I firmly expect Doyle to be the swing tackle this year, there's no way we go into camp with just 3 OTs on the roster. I'm expect a vet minimum signing, some camp bodies, and I'm now going to start poking around for a day 3 type in the draft with G/T flexability.

More and more I'm convincing myself the first 3 picks will be WR, IOL, and LB in some order. CB would be the big wildcard if they finally decide to address the CB2 position.

I think CB is a bigger issue because of White's injury. He may not be full go until mid-season given the injury happened in December and it is a 9-12 month return to play injury.

They may need to draft 2 CBs if they can't add a vet in FA.

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
I think CB is a bigger issue because of White's injury. He may not be full go until mid-season given the injury happened in December and it is a 9-12 month return to play injury.

They may need to draft 2 CBs if they can't add a vet in FA.
Yeah we’ve gone back and forth on this and I think that’s totally possible. I continue to maintain an “I’ll believe it when I see it” approach. But yes, I won’t be shocked if they draft CB high.

Reactions: Dirty Dog

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004
Crowder is an incredible signing - especially when the cap hit is considered. Might be the best value UFA signing league-wide.

I certainly don't think WR @ 25OV is a priority after this. If we want Davis/McKenzie to get an increased share of the snaps i don't see room for anybody else.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Yeah we’ve gone back and forth on this and I think that’s totally possible. I continue to maintain an “I’ll believe it when I see it” approach. But yes, I won’t be shocked if they draft CB high.
I completely get that and I buy that thinking if White weren't injured and they were merely looking to replace Levi at CB2. He was an UDFA after all and DB is a position that McD has been able to coach up.

I just think the White injury and the fact that they have addressed almost every other hole in FA has the potential of changing things.

kirby11

Mar 16, 2011
Buffalo, NY

I'm hoping them moving on from Wallace at a reasonable price means they at least recognize the need to get an athletic boundary corner in the room. It's way too easy for good teams to kill our soft zone/bend but don't break system (see KC in the playoffs) unless they shoot themselves in the foot (see KC in the regular season). Wallace was *fine* but was a massive liability against any WR with remotely above average athleticism.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Crowder is an incredible signing - especially when the cap hit is considered. Might be the best value UFA signing league-wide.

I certainly don't think WR @ 25OV is a priority after this. If we want Davis/McKenzie to get an increased share of the snaps i don't see room for anybody else.

I think outside WR is still a need since they have a decent drop off after Diggs and Davis.

It won't surprise me if they go with an IOL like Zion Johnson or CB. But, if someone like Jameson Williams or Olave falls...

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004
Anyway my roster assessment as of now would be:

QB: Allen, Barkley/Keenum
RB: Singletary, Moss, Duke
WR: Diggs, Davis, McKenzie, Crowder
TE: Knox, Howard, Gilliam
OT: Dawkins, Brown, Doyle
IOL: Morse, Saffold, Mancz/Ford, Bates (if retained)
Offense: 19

DE: Von, Rousseau, Basham, Epenesa, Shaq
DT: Oliver, Settle, Phillips, Jones
LB: Edmunds, Milano
CB: White, Johnson, Jackson, Neal, Lewis
S: Hyde, Poyer, Johnson, Hamlin
SP: Bass, Haack (or a replacement), Furgeson
Defense/ST: 23

Total: 42

With the following guys under contract with a chance but far from guaranteed spots:
-Offense: Losing QB, Hodgins, Gentry, Kumerow, Sweeney, Morris, Capra, Mancz/Ford loser
-Defense: Love, Bryant, Ankou, Dodson, Matakevich, Smith, Gills-Harris, Lee, McCliud, Griffin, Harris, Thomas

So it doesn't actually strike me as that full yet. Basically the 8ish draft picks they currently have would be competing with these guys (not exactly a star-studded list) for about 11 spots. That strikes me as reasonable. Some observations:

-We're still very light at LB depth. Pretty much all of the guys behind Edmunds and Milano are just special teams guys. If we don't sign smeone there soon I would pencil in a LB in the mid rounds at the latest.
-The DL room is very full. I really hope we don't draft anyone there remotely high, it's going to be so hard for them to see the field.
-Despite the addition of Crowder, the WR room still strikes me as light. Yes Hodgins and Stevensen could emerge, but they've done nothing yet and Gentry and Kumerow are just ST guys. I think they're drafting a WR in the first 3 rounds and very likely in the first if someone they like is there.
-I still think the IOL lacks someone top of depth chart, even if they retain Bates. I expect that to be filled with Jurgens, Strange, or one of the other many amazing athletes at IOL in this draft.
-With a decent amount of late picks that might struggle to make the roster, I wonder if they take another flier on a QB to try developing as a long term backup. It's usually a wasted pick, but maybe they take another swing. EJ Perry is a random name I'll throw out there. Tough very fast QB that runs like Allen despite being pretty average size. His arm is nothing special and he played in the ivy league so he's a late round guy at best, but would be a fun developmental option.
Agree with most of this - but i see a few more locks at this point:

Kumerow
Dodson
Matakevich
Andre Smith
Possibly Sweeney unless they draft a TE. Carrying only two last year never made sense.

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004
I think outside WR is still a need since they have a decent drop off after Diggs and Davis.

It won't surprise me if they go with an IOL like Zion Johnson or CB. But, if someone like Jameson Williams or Olave falls...
If all you need is depth then by all means draft someone. It would be a waste to do that in the first round though...

I like Burks at 25 - but i don't see how you then share enough snaps around everyone after the addition of Crowder.

If Stevenson makes the team as a returner - i already see six WR slots locked up. Stevenson could be your vertical/deep cover too.

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004

Look at Logan Bruss.

Reactions: Husko

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
If all you need is depth then by all means draft someone. It would be a waste to do that in the first round though...

I like Burks at 25 - but i don't see how you then share enough snaps around everyone after the addition of Crowder.

If Stevenson makes the team as a returner - i already see six WR slots locked up. Stevenson could be your vertical/deep cover too.
You could say that about almost every position except CB, though.

WR is a very high impact position that is very expensive to add outside the draft. If there's someone they love there they're not going to pass on him because of the likes of Jaimson Crowder, Isaiah McKenzie, and Marquez Stevenson.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad